cambridgeshire canary

*official lappinitup match thread Peacocks V Canaries*

Leeds tonight remind me of us in 20/21, clearly a good side but seem to struggle to control a game for a full 90 minutes. 

From our perspective I'm not sure we did enough to warrant a result really, still think we could be much better with a different coaching staff.

• Like 1

Leeds with a significantly better squad but we matched them all the way.

• Like 1

Just now, hogesar said:

We were durable but nothing more. We never looked like beating them. That’s the difference. 

Edited by S_81
  • Like 1

And it's Farke giving it the big one, the fans screaming and chanting his name and he takes his team closer to the promised land..

And we did ok I guess?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Great effort by the lads. I think we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season if we play like that. 

• Like 3

Just now, repman said:

Leeds tonight remind me of us in 20/21, clearly a good side but seem to struggle to control a game for a full 90 minutes. 

From our perspective I'm not sure we did enough to warrant a result really, still think we could be much better with a different coaching staff.

Nah, Leeds have so much more quality yet we pretty much matched them and probably should have scored. Away from home.

I get some refuse to change on their set views but Wagner and the players tried everything.

Such a shame, but for defending that would embarrass a grassroots U10s team from Shane Duffy, we'd have got a deserved point there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

Yeah but in the lower leagues we had a bodybuilder playing football for 20 years, so he'll make a living down there.

It’s just the modern fad of finding people who have good physical attributes rather than the mental capacity and technical skill to play. I worry that this country will never produce players like Gazza again with how academies work these days. 

Disappointing not to have taken something out of that. Sara especially has to do better with his chance and we should have created far more with our long period of possession in the second half. Practically every chance Leeds had came from sloppy defending which we just can’t seem to eradicate from out game. Decent performance though

Just now, Fuzzar said:

Great effort by the lads. I think we'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season if we play like that. 

Where? Mid-table?

I really hope Knapper gets another striker in. If Sarg gets injured it will be crippling with only Barnes and Idah

Just now, S_81 said:

We were durable but nothing more. We never looked like beating them. That’s the difference. 

Well worth a point despite a weaker squad. Leeds fans saying we were one of the best sides at Elland Road this season.

I get people don't like to change their views but it's a bit embarrassing not to acknowledge anything after that.

Just now, hogesar said:

I'd say we 'stayed with them' rather than matched them. Both sides had periods where they controlled the game but Leeds looked more likely to score during theirs. That ten-minute period from about 50-60 mins was a case in point - we looked absolutely excellent, probably the best we've played all season - but I don't think we created a single chance in that time.

• Like 1

Cant fault the effort...but our best chance was from Sara just before h/t .  Didnt trouble their keeper at all in the entire second half which is pretty disappointing when youre losing.

No damage done tonight but we now must beat Coventry

Competed well but we were always half-a-step behind. We're more durable than we used to be though, Wagner deserves some credit for that at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Such a shame, but for defending that would embarrass a grassroots U10s team from Shane Duffy, we'd have got a deserved point there.

Scapegoating Shane Duffy is ridiculous, and I find it really disappointing tbh.

• Like 1

There’s a 12 point rift in the top 4 to the top 10. One point wouldn’t make any difference - need to screw 3 point out of the flotsam and driftsom 

12 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

He’s an athlete playing football. I’ll die on that hill. 

Who? Onel? Adam? 

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Cant fault the effort...but our best chance was from Sara just before h/t .  Didnt trouble their keeper at all in the entire second half which is pretty disappointing when youre losing.

No damage done tonight but we now must beat Coventry

Kenny MotM for us?

• Like 2

Just now, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It’s just the modern fad of finding people who have good physical attributes rather than the mental capacity and technical skill to play. I worry that this country will never produce players like Gazza again with how academies work these days. 

It looks like Birmingham City have produced a Zidane.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

Well worth a point despite a weaker squad. Leeds fans saying we were one of the best sides at Elland Road this season.

I get people don't like to change their views but it's a bit embarrassing not to acknowledge anything after that.

We battled well. Beaten by less than I thought we would be. But we had one shot on target. It would be lucky to draw any game with that stat. 

Just now, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

There are only two possible conclusions I can draw from this post; you haven't seen the goal or you aren't using the word scapegoating correctly. 

He very nearly cost us a second goal.

1 minute ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I mean Sainz was also poor for not closing down but it was amateur from Duffy there completely switching off and not regularly checking his shoulder 

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

Ho-hum.

Sounded like a good effort. But right now, we're a decent mid-table side. Nothing more.

Yes, 8 points from 15, from top six clubs smack of mid table.

Tonight saw us take another step forward, from Plymouth away and the awful autumn that followed. Play like this, and we will finish in the top six - a position achieved by points won, not 'attractive' football played.

All in all we huffed and puffed but created very little. Just the single shot on target all game and only 1 shot of any kind in the second half. Leeds never looked like they got out of 3rd gear. Bright spots of possession but a clear difference in quality and coaching between the two sides. The way Farke managed the game in the final 15 mins with astute sub timings was a skill missed in a lot of managers. 

Lots to be optimistic about in that performance, I thought. Much better than the home game against Leeds, for instance. We're obviously a fair way off the three relegated sides, but don't see why we can't compete with everyone else.

Oh, and that starting XI looks like our best team, doesn't it?

Just now, hogesar said:

I mean Sainz was also poor for not closing down but it was amateur from Duffy there completely switching off and not regularly checking his shoulder 

Bamford ran from in front of him, right in his vision, straight past him, and he still looked shocked he was there. Unbelievably bad.

• Like 1