Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Team for Rovers replay

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

What we thinking?

Full strength side. I’ve never understood the reasoning behind playing weakened teams in the FA Cup, a good cup run can really galvanise the team

• Like 3

Has to be full strength. A lucrative tie at Liverpool awaits. Wagner really can't balls this up.

• Like 2

I get the feeling the defence will look a little different to start. 

Gibson and Batth in the CB roles

I think Hernandez will start, because Wagner

11 minutes ago, nu_matik said:

Can we have a competition to come up with the end of your final sentence. I can think of a range of different phrases?

Shouldnt be sending anyone of the 1st xi with WBA and Leeds coming up in the next week

Long

Fisher  Baath  Gibson  McCallum

Forshaw    Sorenson

Fassnacht       Gibbs      Hernandez

Idah

Supersub : Placheta

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, nu_matik said:

How dare we start Onel a player who has two assists in his last two matches!

I'll a great believer in putting out your best team so they gel and grow. If you get an injury, then you adapt the next game and so on. With 5 subs allowed, players on the periphery can get have time on the pitch.

But as nu_matik so cleverly stated... .........because Wagner 

Tbf could be called off yet, frozen pitch, no undersoil heating and freezing temps all week . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fen Canary said:

Full strength side. I’ve never understood the reasoning behind playing weakened teams in the FA Cup, a good cup run can really galvanise the team

The whole reason behind playing weakened teams in the cup is to let the reserves get some experience and save the first choice players for the league.

A good cup run can act as a distraction and have a negative impact on the league. Remember our season in League One when we were challenging Leeds for the title? We didn't get far in the cup but Leeds got quite some way involving a win at Old Trafford and over time we overtook Leeds. I think once when Portsmouth won the FA Cup about 16-17 years ago they got relegated from the Premier League. Although it was before my lifetime am I also right in thinking when we won the Milk Cup back in the 1980s we also got relegated from the First Division?

Edited by HazzaJet

23 minutes ago, daz said:

Tbf could be called off yet, frozen pitch, no undersoil heating and freezing temps all week . 

Good point. Due to be sub zero in Bristol come kick off time 

• Like 1

Ladies & Gentlemen, boys & girls be upstanding, put your hands together & make some noise......

Iiiiiiiiitttttttsssss Mr Whacky Wagner with his amazing tombola!!!!

Apart from McLean, obvs he'll be in goal, defence, midfield & up front.

• Haha 1

I see both angles on this. Play a strong team to gain momentum, despite important fixtures upcoming or play a weakened team in the hope of getting through. The only issue with that is not many fringe players have given a good account of themselves when theyve had the opportunity recently. Personally I would rather focus on the league and not risk injury to the first team XI. 

57 minutes ago, daz said:

Just taking this to its logical extension, if postponed, will it have to be played the following mid-week so the Leeds match gets moved? Surely Klopp would be ranting if the postponed match was re-scheduled for the FA Cup weekend so Liverpool have to squeeze another match into their already hectic schedule?

1 hour ago, daz said:

That would be annoying. Could they move it to Ashton Gate? I'd imagine that has under soil heating 

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Just taking this to its logical extension, if postponed, will it have to be played the following mid-week so the Leeds match gets moved? Surely Klopp would be ranting if the postponed match was re-scheduled for the FA Cup weekend so Liverpool have to squeeze another match into their already hectic schedule?

Klopp can rant all he likes, he can control a lot of things but not the weather. Brizzle looks set to have colder overnight temperatures than Norfolk, so, assuming Rovers do not have undersoil heating a frozen pitch is highly  likely, unless they are prepared to spend a lot of money keeping the pitch frost free..........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daz said:

Only supposed to hit freezing after the match starts. 3 to 4 degrees most of the day on Wednesday in Bristol until sunset.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

41 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Only supposed to hit freezing after the match starts. 3 to 4 degrees most of the day on Wednesday in Bristol until sunset.

You have to factor in what the temperature was overnight the night before, the wind chill factor and how much of the pitch is in the shade.........

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Conor Southwell suggested that the replay would be postponed until 4th round weekend if it doesnt go ahead.

...anyway, its only a frozen pitch get on with it, this isnt cricket

If the pitch is frozen though it will interrupt our silky passing play...oh wait..we dont play like that. We should be fine.

Well we might win the FA Cup but it's the best chance we've got of winning anything this season.

No point in leaving players out when we are going to finish in mid table.

Has to be our best XI and we just need to go for it.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Well that will be OK then they'll just be playing on a lump of concrete for the 2nd half. -5 forecast for Bristol.

The game will probably go ahead on a heavily sanded pitch, but expect injuries.

I feel like a lot of people on this thread already are getting triggered by the possibility of having to watch another turgid display against Bristol Rovers 🤣

Let's go in strong and just try and get the job done, convincingly 👍

No ifs and buts. A lucrative tie looming, live on TV. It has to be a full strength team - BUT that might not be enough !!!!

3 hours ago, daz said:

TBH I was wondering about that. Open terrace as well, so they will need to keep it clear of ice for H&S reasons

2 hours ago, The Raptor said:

That would be annoying. Could they move it to Ashton Gate? I'd imagine that has under soil heating 

Bit like asking Norwich to move a game to Portman Road- no chance( yes I know it’s the same city but the rivalry is pretty intense!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Well we might win the FA Cup but it's the best chance we've got of winning anything this season.

No point in leaving players out when we are going to finish in mid table.

Has to be our best XI and we just need to go for it.

I'd suggest we have a better chance of winning the playoff final than the FA Cup final

...and thats without the fixture we were landed with in round 4

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, vos said:

No ifs and buts. A lucrative tie looming, live on TV. It has to be a full strength team - BUT that might not be enough !!!!

No TV match if the Bristol Rovers match gets put back to the 4th round weekend. 

2 hours ago, Conrad said:

No TV match if the Bristol Rovers match gets put back to the 4th round weekend. 

Why would it? In the past they’ve always been the following midweek. I know we have announced a ridiculously late rescheduling of the Leeds game, but that could be postponed again.