Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Those in the know about our youth

Need a coach that believes in them

Ours is in damage control mode trying get just enough points so he doesn’t get the sack, no time for youth in that scenario.

• Like 6

Some of them have very genuine first team potential and could follow Rowe's path to a regular place and a growing reputation in the game with it.

Adegboyega and Forsyth probably *the* stand out individuals at the moment. Would hope their chance to impress at first team level arrives in the summer.

Others will be seen as easy cash cows and sold on a'la Mumba. One of Warner or Hills possibly. If Pompey go up they'll want Kamara permanently.

• Like 2

From what I've heard and the very little I've seen, Elliot Myles is a huge prospect. He's been starring for the U18s, but has also made a few bench appearances for the U21s, despite the fact he's not even 17 until later this month. Also, Gabriel Forsyth, who we signed from Hamilton over the summer, is playing really well for the U21s and he's only 17 too. Another 17-year-old who's looking really good is Waylon Renecke, a South African centre-back. He's been a regular for the U21s and may well be the 'next cab off the rank' to follow in the footsteps of Godfrey, Omobamidele and Warner. Ken Aboh has been knocking them in up front, he's scored 9 in 11 for the U21s and has just turned 19.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It’s a difficult one to pick because they can have all the talent in the world but if they get her a chance it won’t make a difference. I still think long term Warner will be a first team starter sooner than later. I am surprised we’ve not seen Lima or Montoia given our problems with LB and CDM. 

Didn’t someone say on here that Aboh is reluctant to sign a new contract because he can’t see a path to getting much if any game time? Think he has about 18 months left.

• Like 1

The bits and pieces I've seen of Elliot Myles makes me wonder if we'll actually hold on to him. He looks a fantastic prospect and I always get concerned some Prem club will come in and snaffle these talented youngsters up, before we get to see them play in the first team (like Alex Matos). If we do, we could have a really exciting player on our hands there. 

Adegboyega looks really good too, comfortable with the ball at his feet, strong and athletic. Let's see how things go for him on loan. Ditto for Hills, who seems to be doing well at Accrington. 

Aboh surely must be in with a shot for the first team soon, perhaps Lima too and Kamara is also doing brilliantly on loan I believe. 

The problem a number of Norwich fans have is not being able to see past the here and now and I for one am glad we invested in youth and improved the academy because it will surely pay dividends.

Edited by BobLoz3
  • Like 5

I fear we'll lose Myles to a London club-their scouts and recruitment teams keep a more or less permanent eye on our academy and development sides and we're doing just that, developing them for the likes of a Chelsea or Palace.

Swings and roundabouts of course, as we do the same to clubs further down the old pecking order than us.

I's like to think any young player would at least think twice about joining Chelsea-for all he has impressed and developed as a player, the fact they still see Conor Gallagher as a potential big sale to help them bring in someone like Osimhen says it all-Gallagher is 23, has played for England and been at Chelsea since he was eight-but has been on loan to four different clubs already. If Spurs offer them £30 million or so for him, he'll be gone and they'll be cracking open the champagne in celebration down at Cobham.

Benny Ashley-Seal couldn't get out of her quickly enough when Wolves came calling-but was it for the chance to play at a higher level or for tripling his wages?-whatever, he didn't make a single league appearance for them and has since played in Finland and, once his short term contract at Hamilton ends, will be a free agent, at the end of the season @ 25.

As a young player, its crucial, career crucial, to play. More than anything. At as high a level as you can and as early as you can.

If Knapper is genuinely passionate about a young team with a progressive playing outlook that gives its own a chance then the likes of Myles will want to give it a proper go here and earn a move on the back of two or three good seasons with us-like Max, Jamal, Ben G et al.

Too many agents want to make money out of the young players whilst they can-and who wouldn't listen to some 40-something spiv in a Ferrari who is sweet talking you to join Chelsea?

• Like 3

It’s always a problem regarding when it’s best to bring youngsters through - it’s a big step-up from looking good in age-related games and then suddenly playing the full men’s game with seasoned pros.  Some take to it, others don’t.  I recall Alan Irvine, who knew what he was talking about, said you can throw a player back a long way if you do it too early.  We have to consider/hope that Knapper and the Academy coaches know what they are doing, but of course there’s always plenty who think they know better.  

If you consider Kamara last season, they brought him on and he was given pretty short shrift by many on here - tbh he did look out of his depth, so letting him find his feet on loan made perfect sense, we get a player back who has a number of senior games under his belt.  Rowe had clearly been fast tracked by Smith and would have played last season but for his injuries, and it definitely felt he was ready. 

• Like 3

The trouble is that development from ages 13-20 is so hit-and-miss, and anyone making bold predictions is likely to come unstuck!

Man Utd - who probably have the best Youth>First Team pathway in British football - famously invested tens of thousands of pounds in our Kalam Mooniaruck, and his ceiling ended up being the Isthmian League [note also that KM got an Eng U20 cap, thus demonstrating that selection for representative sides is often based on Who You Play for rather than How You Play]

Chris Sutton was released by NCFC at, I believe, age 14, but his Dad pushed his physical development and, a couple of years later, NCFC wanted him back.

Max Aarons was just Mr Reliable (a la Lewis Blois) before his break-through, while our splashy purchases of Daniel Adshead & Aidan Fitzpatrick (both already playing first-team football) came to naught.

Toffolo is proving that he had the potential, but how long do you keep a player waiting for his chance?  (look at the Lambert side, filled with players from Big Clubs' who had to take a step down in order to develop)

Personally, I find it disappointing that the 9-man subs' bench doesn't see more of our prospects on it, but I do understand that the gap between youth and men's football is now much greater than it was.

And finally, while a manager is feeling the heat (and many fans are making unrealistic demands for success) the blooding of youngsters will hardly be a priority.

In short, who knows?

• Like 5

We've generally brought through young players at the right time since Webber came in, we have to hope the same happens under Knapper.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Need a coach that believes in them

Ours is in damage control mode trying get just enough points so he doesn’t get the sack, no time for youth in that scenario.

Speaks the duty whiner. Whereas the coaching staff know when a player is able to step up (Rowe), when they need more time in the youth teams and when to go out on loan. Of course, it would be those same coaches who were aware that we needed another season before some would be ready, hence the need for short term stop gaps.  And for those who have a reasoned grasp of football they will be quite aware that players achieve their level through ability, not 'belief'. Belief is something religious cranks have. Much as with that strange sect that has attached itself to NCFC... the Whiners.

5 hours ago, hogesar said:

We've generally brought through young players at the right time since Webber came in, we have to hope the same happens under Knapper.

Knapper should be knowledgeable in that area given his background at Arsenal. But this is one area with serious amount of potential at this club, the right development and people in place no reason we can’t carry on our great youth development. Be good to actually have money to keep them and watch the team develop, fingers crossed.

7 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Not all religious people are cranks.

i would say that people like you who think NCFC can do no wrong are more in the crank category.

I’m an atheist and I know lots of religious people who are certainly not cranks, very lovely a noble people! Their beliefs make them at peace with the world and the lovely people they are! Just because we don’t believe doesn’t make us right! It’s a choice.

Just the religious (funda)mentalists tend to be the cranks, but they also tend to be the loudest.

Abu Kamara has started looking very good for Portsmouth where he is being used on both the left and right flanks and is now linked to Freiburg and Brentford.

I'm hoping he'll come into our first team for next season with Placheta off the wage bill, Springett should go out on loan next.

Abu Kamara has started looking very good for Portsmouth where he is being used on both the left and right flanks and is now linked to Freiburg and Brentford.

I'm hoping he'll come into our first team for next season with Placheta off the wage bill, Springett should go out on loan next.

Warner, after his really good show against Fulham should have been given a run in the team no doubt. If this is how we are treating the younger players is it any wonder they want away at the first opportunity. We have Aboh and Kamara coming through. Forsyth, Lima et Al. If we are not careful we will continue to be a club that develops players for other clubs and make no money in the process a la Matos