Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Barnes: it's like playing half a man down

He isn't really a striker, he isn't a midfielder and he's keeping far better players out of their best positions. If Sara was able to play in his best role as a central attacking midfielder then we could play a proper defensive midfielder alongside Nunez as the deep lying playmaker.

Barnes is really not great at any of the skills required in the number 10 position. He doesn't hold the ball up well and his passing is... limited so linking up play is not his strength. His only plus is that he chases and pressures the defenders, but that's not much use if he can't create anything when he does win the ball high up. 

On balance, fitting him into the team requires far too much compromise elsewhere and he really doesn't bring enough to the party to justify his place. This is almost a very good starting 11 but, for me, Barnes is now the weak link. 

• Like 2

I was absolutely ridiculed when I pulled this up pre-season. Told I know nothing.

He is just angry, but definitely not a good footballer.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Petriix said:

He isn't really a striker, he isn't a midfielder and he's keeping far better players out of their best positions. If Sara was able to play in his best role as a central attacking midfielder then we could play a proper defensive midfielder alongside Nunez as the deep lying playmaker.

And therein lies the issue, we don't have one.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

I love how even when we are winning people find something to moan about

People making observations about tactical shortcomings is hardly 'finding something to moan about'. It's obvious to most people that there are some things which aren't really working; some of us like analysing what exactly is going wrong rather than just making demands for changes without actually knowing what needs to change. 

• Like 3

He works hard but it’s not working. Excellent bit of skill from Rowe in an otherwise dull half.

Rowe, Sargent, Sara and Sainz is a very good attack in this league, most championship clubs would be envious of that talent. A better system would get much more out of them IMO.

• Like 1

He’s had absolutely nothing to work with, held it up a couple of times and the odd flick on but apart from that he’s feeding off scraps. Until the midfield get a hold of the game you could have Haaland up there and he’d still be anonymous 

He's never been a good footballer and nobody would ever have claimed that.

But unfortunately his legs have gone. He looks like what a half decent player looks like when they are playing a veterans charity match a couple of years after retiring.

I feel that if he wants a couple more years in the game it should be for Carlisle or something.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Petriix said:

People making observations about tactical shortcomings is hardly 'finding something to moan about'. It's obvious to most people that there are some things which aren't really working; some of us like analysing what exactly is going wrong rather than just making demands for changes without actually knowing what needs to change. 

I missed your tenure as England manager

5 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

He’s had absolutely nothing to work with, held it up a couple of times and the odd flick on but apart from that he’s feeding off scraps. Until the midfield get a hold of the game you could have Haaland up there and he’d still be anonymous 

Don't talk like if we feed him chances he'd suddenly be a goalscorer, he's never been one, he's not Billy Sharp.

He used to be able to run the channels and press like Sargent or a Cameron Jerome, now he hasn't got the legs for it and without that he just has nothing in his game.

29 goals in 150 Championship games in his 20's, he's not some deadly striker waiting for service, he's never been that man.

11 minutes ago, Kingston Yellow said:

I missed your tenure as England manager

A common trope used by people who have nothing productive to add to a conversation but want to argue anyway. I missed anything interesting that you might have said. 

19 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

If we were playing an extra midfielder instead then they would naturally be more involved in the game by dropping deeper and giving us more control. 

30 minutes ago, canarycop said:

I think Barnes is having a decent game. Done nothing wrong this half. Stop whinging

He's been almost totally anonymous but it's not that he's personally doing anything wrong, he's just causing a systemic deficiency by being picked because of the opportunity cost of not playing another midfielder. 

21 minutes ago, Petriix said:

A common trope used by people who have nothing productive to add to a conversation but want to argue anyway. I missed anything interesting that you might have said. 

Happily, you're at home on the sofa schooling the missus whilst 3 points is chalked up. 

Passenger in the first half but improved massively second half. Held the ball up well, made life difficult, won free kicks, all the annoying niggly stuff that Hull would have hated.

• Like 2

Just now, king canary said:

Passenger in the first half but improved massively second half. Held the ball up well, made life difficult, won free kicks, all the annoying niggly stuff that Hull would have hated.

Yea agreed, he was much more involved second half and played well. I just don’t like the system personally and without this system I’m not sure where he’d fit in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Yes, he definitely got more involved in the second half and held the ball up well at times. Possibly because the rest of the midfield were sitting deeper, there was a bit more of a pocket for Barnes to work in. 

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Yea agreed, he was much more involved second half and played well. I just don’t like the system personally and without this system I’m not sure where he’d fit in.

Yeah I agree- I think in a different system he might be a good substitute who you throw on for 15 minutes to make life difficult for tired defenders.

I would say we wouldn’t have been half as light weight in that period when he was injured 

couple of really good moments in the second half tonight … he really cares 

otbc

1 minute ago, CardiffCanary said:

I would say we wouldn’t have been half as light weight in that period when he was injured 

couple of really good moments in the second half tonight … he really cares 

otbc

He was much better in the second half.

And this thread now feels harsh.

However his selection in the team comes at the cost of an extra midfield player, which is why he is needed to drop deep and pitch in, so when he's not really getting involved it feels like playing with 10 men.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

If Sara was able to play in his best role as a central attacking midfielder then we could play a proper defensive midfielder alongside Nunez as the deep lying playmaker.

I think - think - I have spotted the flaw in this plan

• Haha 2

Just now, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

He was much better in the second half.

And this thread now feels harsh.

However his selection in the team comes at the cost of an extra midfield player, which is why he is needed to drop deep and pitch in, so when he's not really getting involved it feels like playing with 10 men.

Who would you pick who would offer more, though? 

I'm a big Liam Gibbs fan. I do think if Gibbs and Barnes were used in rotation with one another we would better develop a good young player and keep Barnes fitter and fresher. 

But beyond that, if Kenny is in defence, the options are slim. I would really like to see another CM in, especially if Kenny in defence is going to become a regular option. 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Barnes is really not great at any of the skills required in the number 10 position. He doesn't hold the ball up well and his passing is... limited so linking up play is not his strength. His only plus is that he chases and pressures the defenders, but that's not much use if he can't create anything when he does win the ball high up. 

On balance, fitting him into the team requires far too much compromise elsewhere and he really doesn't bring enough to the party to justify his place. This is almost a very good starting 11 but, for me, Barnes is now the weak link. 

I agree entirely. This is a huge problem for us until he sees the light, which he won’t 

Did ok second half, relieved pressure when he had to.

We are a non event as far as attacking is concerned. A fruitless night for Sargent.

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Who would you pick who would offer more, though? 

I'm a big Liam Gibbs fan. I do think if Gibbs and Barnes were used in rotation with one another we would better develop a good young player and keep Barnes fitter and fresher. 

But beyond that, if Kenny is in defence, the options are slim. I would really like to see another CM in, especially if Kenny in defence is going to become a regular option. 

Ideally I'd like to see us sign a classic defensive midfielder in the Skipp or Tettey mould, or the mid-table Championship version of that (whatever we can afford) to allow Sara to play further forward where I think he's more effective.

I don’t want him to be in the side, but to be fair, he really put a shift in tonight. He could barely move at the end.

Just now, unique said:

I don’t want him to be in the side, but to be fair, he really put a shift in tonight. He could barely move at the end.

He'll be double dosing the cod liver oil tablets tonight.