JonnyJonnyRowe

Is that Tony Springett off then?

Posted (edited)

Was surprised that he wasn't in the squad today.

Got quite a few minutes in October, 114 to be precise, and featured in all 3 of our League Cup games.

Only 3 minutes since October.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

It's cos he's crap and everyone except wago could see that.

I think also people coming back from injury means he goes back to being surplus to first team needs.

T h a n k.  G o d 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

It's cos he's crap and everyone except wago could see that.

I think also people coming back from injury means he goes back to being surplus to first team needs.

T h a n k.  G o d 

He has looked crap whenever I've seen him, but he scored a hat-trick against Man City U21s a few weeks ago! 

13 minutes ago, norwich canary said:

He is truly truly awful if I never see him in a norwich shirt again it will be to soon 

I would bet money on him being out of league football within two years based on what I've seen, however he's an Ireland U21 international with a good record at youth levels so perhaps best thing is for him to go out on loan for a year a half and see what happens?

8 hours ago, norwich canary said:

He is truly truly awful if I never see him in a norwich shirt again it will be to soon 

I've criticised him a lot on here but I don't think it's fair to say he is truly awful. I'd describe him as mediocre, with a confidence and high work rate that will stand him in good stead in L2 or perhaps L1. My criticism was based on the fact that we were giving him chances at the expense of players with far more potential.

• Like 2

What amazing supporters you all are. He's not up to first team standard and probably needs a loan. To call him "truly awful", "crap" and hope you "never see him in a Norwich shirt again" is more reflecting on the sort of **** level of supporter we have at this club than anything else.

Disgraceful.

• Like 17
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just so you're all aware, Norwich canary is a binner

Is Waveney a Binner?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

It's a sad state of affairs when some of our 'supporters' are hammering our young players. Really, really sad.

Which is why we need Wagner gone.

Idah, Fisher and Springett (who didn't even play) yesterday all got hammered on here. It will only get worse.

He's not crap but he isn't up to standard yet. I've a feeling the reason he was kept around is because he's a good runner and a hard worker, and perhaps the fact Rowe has exploded this year makes Springett look quite underwhelming.

I doubt he will be around by the end of the window, loan or permanent. The wide attacker position is one we have much of a muchness in, Rowe + Sainz in tier one, then Fassnacht, Hernandez, Placheta and Springett all in a fairly ineffective lump

9 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Idah, Fisher and Springett (who didn't even play) yesterday all got hammered on here. It will only get worse.

Idah’s made nearly 100 appearances in 4 years and has over 20 international caps - I don’t think it’s fair to group him with Fisher and Springett in this respect. The 5 year deal, the No.11 shirt. He should be far, far better. 

I’ve generally been very impressed with Fisher this season - he’s one we need to look after & develop properly for sure. Springett is clearly a skilful lad, a bit of Cantwell about him perhaps… but I honestly can’t think of any notable contribution or difference he’s made when coming on this season. It may be the system, the quality of opposition, but he’s another one to nurture, send out on loan, reassess. 

Far too early to write off either Fisher or Springett. Especially Fisher - I can remember the legendary Mark Bowen committing some absolute howlers during his time here, for example. 

• Like 1

Springett is not that bad, a hustler with a bit of skill and hard-working, but it is difficult to define his role and appreciate Wagner's one time seeming high regard for the youngster.

He's failed to show enough to justify a place in a team aspiring to the higher end of the Championship, though, but would probably be useful in L.1.

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What amazing supporters you all are. He's not up to first team standard and probably needs a loan. To call him "truly awful", "crap" and hope you "never see him in a Norwich shirt again" is more reflecting on the sort of **** level of supporter we have at this club than anything else.

Disgraceful.

Get him out on loan and then again next season. Not sure of his contractual status but I think there’s half a chance he comes back creating and scoring regularly in League One.

22 hours ago, Captain Holt said:

Get him out on loan and then again next season. Not sure of his contractual status but I think there’s half a chance he comes back creating and scoring regularly in League One.

Summer 2025

He’s talented and will have a very good career, and achieve a lot. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Corbs1 said:

He’s talented and will have a very good career, and achieve a lot. 

Which leads me back to my original question really, why isn't he featuring against mid-table League One opposition?

He's 22 in September, you'd have thought if he were highly rated by Wagner (which seems to have been the case in October), then you'd have thought that would be his game?

On 07/01/2024 at 08:07, Terminally Yellow said:

What amazing supporters you all are. He's not up to first team standard and probably needs a loan.

Or could do with a run out against a mid-table League One team in the cup? 

I think there were rumours of him refusing to go out of loan early in the season. Which people were hammering him for but personally I don’t mind he wants to have a chance here at Norwich, he’s 22 not young anymore but football standards he either makes it here or we sell him not sure anyone gain’s anything by farming him out on loan again.

Which brings to me to the point that he might be stuck in limbo he doesn’t want to go out on loan. Norwich are happy to sell but might want a fee for him.  No one in leagues 1 and 2 pays transfer fees. To be resolved one of the two parties need to accept a compromise suggest that might happen late in the transfer window.

For it’s worth he has a brilliant left foot.

Needs a loan. It's make or break really. A player can only be "promising" for so long, he needs to start delivering.

On 06/01/2024 at 23:40, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I would bet money on him being out of league football within two years based on what I've seen, however he's an Ireland U21 international with a good record at youth levels so perhaps best thing is for him to go out on loan for a year a half and see what happens?

then get a five year contract?

• Haha 1

He is certainly not crap. Just to get to this level in football means he must be quite talented and had obviously worked very hard to do so.

Seeing posters write off a young player just because he is not 100% ready for the first team is frankly poor especially with some of the disgusting comments.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, East Rider said:

He is certainly not crap. Just to get to this level in football means he must be quite talented and had obviously worked very hard to do so.

Seeing posters write off a young player just because he is not 100% ready for the first team is frankly poor especially with some of the disgusting comments.

Silly point to make. Of course he's better than me but you're judged at the level you're at. Sargent and Sara would be deemed crap if Man City had bought them. Equally, George Long would be an awesome goalkeeper for my five-a-side team.

On 07/01/2024 at 09:12, Capt. Pants said:

I think some of that is down to the muddled thinking of the club in the last few years on progression.

its clear to me that fisher and springett have good potential but both need regular games to acclimatise to senior football. Fisher in particular we have taken from non league football and asked him to make a massive step up, he should be out on loan getting 15-20 games in the second half of the season (as should springett).

Idah should be a warning to them all, huge potential at 18 and only now at 23 - 5 full years later has he got anything like a string of consecutive appearances. He already is starting to look a better player for it.

I do agree slating the players is wrong, I hope they all grow and become great Norwich players but our pathways have to be cleared back up and these players sheep dipped and developed with some thought! 

On 07/01/2024 at 09:36, mrdi said:

Idah’s made nearly 100 appearances in 4 years and has over 20 international caps - I don’t think it’s fair to group him with Fisher and Springett in this respect. The 5 year deal, the No.11 shirt. He should be far, far better. 

Far better than our 2nd top scorer without starting or playing every game?

Thankfully the Barclay has decided instead of booing Idah they'll sing his name and that's been a refreshing change. The fact that the prior happened is part of why every team that comes to Carrow Road criticises our home support and rightly so, because it's terrible and doesn't even begin to get behind the team, but it is what it is.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Silly point to make. Of course he's better than me but you're judged at the level you're at. Sargent and Sara would be deemed crap if Man City had bought them. Equally, George Long would be an awesome goalkeeper for my five-a-side team.

He'd probably be an awesome striker in mine.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, East Rider said:

Not many people have addressed the topic of my OP though, which isn't that Springett is rubbish. 

Everybody saying that he needs a loan, presumably to League One or Two.

But we just played a mid-table League One side, if Wagner doesn't feel that's an appropriate game to give him some minutes then why should we expect a League One side to feel it appropriate to play him in their BAU fixtures?

He was brought off the bench ahead of Placheta and Sainz at home to Leeds with half an hour to go, and then doesn't make the 18 against Bristol Rovers. I'm more questioning Wagners thought processes and man management, particularly when Springett scored a hat-trick against Man City U21s a few weeks ago.

We all agree that these players won't improve without football.