Sign in to follow this  
Sufyellow

Why do we play backwards so much .

I watched the 2nd half most times we worked it into decent attacking positions out wide we still turned and went backwards, the positivity is awful going forwards. Don't the manager and coaches see this ? 

2 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

I watched the 2nd half most times we worked it into decent attacking positions out wide we still turned and went backwards, the positivity is awful going forwards. Don't the manager and coaches see this ? 

Lack of confidence would be my guess.

In all my years watching the club whenever we’ve been on a bad run and the crowd are getting restless players are reluctant to play the risky balls that have more chance of being intercepted. They retreat to a safety first mode and play the much less risky pass sideways to a teammate, even though it’s often the wrong decision and gives the opposition chance to regroup, thus making the situation worse in the long run

Even when we have a throw in in opponents half,  we still throw backwards, never forward. Often also freekicks go sideways or backwards,  hardly ever forward, why?

This has been going on for several weeks, so I've come the conclusion this the way we want to play.

A few weeks back one home game we had a corner in front of the Barclay, 2 passes and it was back with Gunn.

Dreadful tactics, we are so negative and pose no threat.

I hope the price of Season tickets is not going to increase, it's not worth what we are currently paying and I'm sure the sales will reflect this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Harry53 said:

Even when we have a throw in in opponents half,  we still throw backwards, never forward. Often also freekicks go sideways or backwards,  hardly ever forward, why?

There was one in 2nd half where we were in final third , it was a huge throw that only needed a slight touch to reach our keeper, why do that , I just don't get it. 

1 hour ago, First Wazzock said:

This has been going on for several weeks, so I've come the conclusion this the way we want to play.

A few weeks back one home game we had a corner in front of the Barclay, 2 passes and it was back with Gunn.

Dreadful tactics, we are so negative and pose no threat.

I hope the price of Season tickets is not going to increase, it's not worth what we are currently paying and I'm sure the sales will reflect this.

Yep totally agree, they are being coached it, I just don't understand why? It looks like they have made their decision to go backwards even before they receive the ball, even Sara has started doing it. It's so negative and poor. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the idea is that if an attack gets shut down they want to keep possession and recycle it into another attack. A lot of teams do this (didn't we do it to some extent under Farke?) - the problem is they so rarely manage to turn it into an attack so its just meaningless passing it around the back. As others have said, we also do it really slowly which deems the tactic a bit pointless as its so easy for the opposition to manage and exploit it.

I would understand if I was a quick pass around the back to draw the defence out a bit but it's not effective when it's so slow

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Sorry it this is teaching to suck eggs...

But the theory in it is that it draws players into the press thus moving them out of position which can then be exploited by our other players.

Unfortunately we have players who lack the intelligence and ability to make this actually work as intended and you get the benny hill music playing as our centre backs and gunny exchange hospital pases until the inevitable happens 

For me the worst part of this is where as the ball is first played Gunn misses the run of rowe or someone and plays it to a centre back the ball then pings in a triangle until Gunn is forced to just Tommy the ball up field with zero control and it goes straight to the opposite team.

If he had just Tommy'd at the get go he could have hit the run rather than fannied about.

Alternatively he could have just hoofed it to the opposition defence saved us all a heart attacks and 2 mins of game time.

Edited by Nexus_Canary

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

Nobody making decent runs off the ball.

I agree to a certain extent,  but sitting top of  the Barclay alot of great runs are totally missed and alot of the time they are more happy to go backwards than look for it. I was happy for Wagner to stay the rest of this season and maybe change in the summer,  with Knapper adding a couple of signings . But watching the 2nd half today I think the coaching is killing some attack minded players , Sara especially.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nexus_Canary said:

Sorry it this is teaching to suck eggs...

But the theory in it is that it draws players into the press thus moving them out of position which can then be exploited by our other players.

Unfortunately we have players who lack the intelligence and ability to make this actually work as intended and you get the benny hill music playing as our centre backs and gunny exchange hospital pases until the inevitable happens 

For me the worst part of this is where as the ball is first played Gunn misses the run of rowe or someone and plays it to a centre back the ball then pings in a triangle until Gunn is forced to just Tommy the ball up field with zero control and it goes straight to the opposite team.

If he had just Tommy'd at the get go he could have hit the run rather than fannied about.

Alternatively he could have just hoofed it to the opposition defence saved us all a heart attacks and 2 mins of game time.

I totally understand that , I am not a person getting angry when we do that , until it is totally sussed out. It's that we do that and then our wide men or midfield get the ball and the space created but then still go backwards rather than push forward,  by doing that normally resulting in a defender then smashing it up the pitch.  I think it's too complicated for the players we have. Lambert and farke played very simple basic football really and everyone new what their roles were. Our players now all look confused.  

6 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

I totally understand that , I am not a person getting angry when we do that , until it is totally sussed out. It's that we do that and then our wide men or midfield get the ball and the space created but then still go backwards rather than push forward,  by doing that normally resulting in a defender then smashing it up the pitch.  I think it's too complicated for the players we have. Lambert and farke played very simple basic football really and everyone new what their roles were. Our players now all look confused.  

Lambert’s side broke much more quickly from memory, Farke’s used to fanny about with it going sideways quite a bit. The difference is though is Lambert had Wes and Farke had Emi, two players who could unlock a packed defence. We don’t have the equivalent currently in my opinion so the possession we do have doesn’t lead to as many chances as it should 

• Like 1

There is the fear factor and a lack of confidence. This is a difficult scenario to get out of, as negativity tends to breed negativity, so you get players not taking risks - and even when they do try a more creative pass, it is less likely to work because of the underlying mindset. 

Needs big characters to turn that round - and a good coaching regime and a manager that inspires.  Not sure if we have those. 

What has happened to the high pressing game, the forcing of opposition players into mistakes, the quick inter-passing we know our players are capable of? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

There is the fear factor and a lack of confidence. This is a difficult scenario to get out of, as negativity tends to breed negativity, so you get players not taking risks - and even when they do try a more creative pass, it is less likely to work because of the underlying mindset. 

Needs big characters to turn that round - and a good coaching regime and a manager that inspires.  Not sure if we have those. 

What has happened to the high pressing game, the forcing of opposition players into mistakes, the quick inter-passing we know our players are capable of? 

It's being coached out to play safe all over the pitch. Sargent and Rowe are the last two really positive players left. Sara is being destroyed by the coaching, Nunez seems to have stopped shooting if he gets far enough up the pitch , to look to go back to the full back or wide midfielder. 

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

A lot of our players are too old for this, haven't got the legs to keep up a pressing game over a season

When we attack we usually transition to a 3-1-6 but the gears don't turn quite right. We transition too early, meaning we end up with 6 players in a congested final third that can't be reached with anything but a Kevin de Bruyne level pass. This is also the reason we get so many overloads against our defenders on the break.

I'm convinced the solution is dropping one of the striker positions for an extra midfielder. Barnes spends most of his time in midfield anyway.

• Like 2

Why, because they don’t have the ability to go forward, and see ahead of them.

. Safety first is this clubs mantra right now.

Even a throw in is backwards

Even seeing passes from the half way line back to Gunn is beyond me. 

Boring, boring, boring to say the least.

Also goalkeepers seem to dallying around with the ball at their feet, and only releases it when under pressure, how they have not been caught more in possession beats me.

If the coach does not go, then many season tickets holders will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bradwell canary said:

Why, because they don’t have the ability to go forward, and see ahead of them.

. Safety first is this clubs mantra right now.

Even a throw in is backwards

Even seeing passes from the half way line back to Gunn is beyond me. 

Boring, boring, boring to say the least.

Also goalkeepers seem to dallying around with the ball at their feet, and only releases it when under pressure, how they have not been caught more in possession beats me.

If the coach does not go, then many season tickets holders will.

The keeper will pause with the ball at his feet so as to bait an attacker, this then creates an unmarked player for the keeper to pass to & subsequently beat the press.

That's the theory anyhoo, unfortunately our players aren't proficient enough to pass accurately & Waggers has set the team up for counter attacking so it's not working. 

Our goals currently rely on an individual player having a worldie & that's obviously not sustainable. 

Has Wagner been sacked yet?

Passing backwards or square is an easy option to ensure that your personal player stats reflect a high percentage of “completed passes” rather than attempt an attacking move which may result in an “incomplete pass”. Our Captain is the worst offender often passing backwards to the keeper when there are 9 Norwich players ahead of him. Admittedly he moves the ball so slowly that by the time he is prepared to pass all our players are marked up by the opponent. It is boring and awful to watch and has been coached into the side by a truly unimaginative and weak coaching set up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kenfoggo said:

Passing backwards or square is an easy option to ensure that your personal player stats reflect a high percentage of “completed passes” rather than attempt an attacking move which may result in an “incomplete pass”. Our Captain is the worst offender often passing backwards to the keeper when there are 9 Norwich players ahead of him. Admittedly he moves the ball so slowly that by the time he is prepared to pass all our players are marked up by the opponent. It is boring and awful to watch and has been coached into the side by a truly unimaginative and weak coaching set up.

@hogesar defending Kenny's passing stats 😉

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Hanley was our captain so don't need to defend Kenny here 👍

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Kenny is one of the few players we have capable of playing decent forward/diagonal balls so I couldn't care if his passing stats are lower if we generate better chances with him on the pitch

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

I agree to a certain extent,  but sitting top of  the Barclay alot of great runs are totally missed and alot of the time they are more happy to go backwards than look for it. I was happy for Wagner to stay the rest of this season and maybe change in the summer,  with Knapper adding a couple of signings . But watching the 2nd half today I think the coaching is killing some attack minded players , Sara especially.  

Thanks for that, very interesting. I should've put a question mark after the comment because it was really a question, which you've answered. In the light of which I suspect lack of confidence - the fear factor - is driving our play, because it does seem other teams cut through us with ease too many times once we've lost the ball, resulting in our self belief evaporating. I can't believe Wagner isn't aware of that, but for whatever reason he obviously can't fix it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

It's a cunning ruse to get the opposing team to get confused which way they're supposed to be playing and to score lots of own goals.

• Like 1

Very few teams in the best league in the world, have the skill set to play out from the back, in the way that Man city can.

This brings it back to Joe Hart and England keeper at the time, was got shot off as Pep said he lacked the skill to pass out from the back. That started this obsession with playing out from the back.

OK if you have the players to do it,WE have not!

Dare I say it, at our level , sometimes, not always, there’s something to be said for an accurate long boot from the keeper , by passing the midfield is worth trying.

As far as Sara being in the position of a CB tells you everything about the manager getting the best of of the players he’s got. Can’t imagine Sara being happy about that, can you……..?

• Like 3

I watched Forshaw on 2 occasions receive the ball facing his own goal and pass it backwards. On both occasions he was unmarked but I don't think anyone shouted him to turn. Our players played most of the game in silence and as others have said don't want to take risks. I'll exclude Sainz from that comment. 

Is it just a complete lack of confidence?