Sign in to follow this  
Ulfotto

League One Best Player

I was thinking that quite a few Premier league team have made an entire transfer strategy of simply signing the best players in the championship. Although not guaranteed success it seems to be quite an effective strategy. I’m thinking Jarrod Bowen, EMI Buendia, Matty Cash, Tyrone Mings, Jacob Murphy, Joao Pedro, Djed Spence, Michael Olise, Ollie Watkins, Eze, Adam Webster etc..

Which made me think who are the best players in League one? 

40 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I was thinking that quite a few Premier league team have made an entire transfer strategy of simply signing the best players in the championship. Although not guaranteed success it seems to be quite an effective strategy. I’m thinking Jarrod Bowen, EMI Buendia, Matty Cash, Tyrone Mings, Jacob Murphy, Joao Pedro, Djed Spence, Michael Olise, Ollie Watkins, Eze, Adam Webster etc..

Which made me think who are the best players in League one? 

It’s not an exact science and I’m not sure if I know the answer but difference in quality between prem and champ is different to champ and league one 

for instance I wouldn’t fancy any of stevenages players who currently sit in 6th 

Just now, The Real Buh said:

Alfie May, just the sort of player we used to buy

no chance we’d get him now

Has a hell of a record in non and lower leagues but never has played higher than League one. Would be interesting to see how he would do

We should always be on the look out for gems no matter what league they are in, but League One just feels like a market we should be loaning to rather than buying from.

11 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i would have a look at Peterborough they always have a gem coming through 

Mason-Clark?

He is about 24 and can score goals.

12 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Mason-Clark?

He is about 24 and can score goals.

yes Midfielder ? scores and makes chances one to keep a eye on better than Forshaw as a squad player ? ,

i think that is what we need instead of overpaying our squad players need some younger players pushing 1st team ,

Mason Clark wages would be nothing like Hernandez , Płacheta ,

but maybe more end product and resale

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Poke from Peterborough has impressed me each time I’ve seen him 

Ronnie Edwards england under 20 player CB

15 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I’ve only watched four or five of their games, can’t say he stood out to me. But they did win each one tbf

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Has a hell of a record in non and lower leagues but never has played higher than League one. Would be interesting to see how he would do

Sounds like a number of our other hall of famers 

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's also 30. I'm not sure 30 year old league one journeymen are the type of players we've ever signed.

Just thinking given we can’t buy European players anymore because of Brexit. Anyone showing half decent ability before the age of 18 is hoovered up by a premier league academy.

I would say there is much less risk on high performing league one players than bringing players over from South America.

As some poster have already said Grant Holt, Russell Martin, Wes Hoolahan, Elliot Bennett, Antony Pilkington, David Fox, Adam Drury were all decent players particularly in the championship.

4 hours ago, Ulfotto said:

Just thinking given we can’t buy European players anymore because of Brexit.

Rules have been relaxed. We can now sign up to 4! 

• Like 1

Johnson Clarke-Harris is a player I really rate, and he scored 12 for Posh in the Championship in a poor side.

However you only have to look at him to see that he's probably a complete twillock and that's why nobody else wants him.

1869994265_114234(1).jpg.51878af060c9c88e131afd8b46ab6c75.jpg

It was the same with Marcus Maddison at Peterborough actually, he was clearly too good for League One and pulling in great numbers each year but had a reputation as being a bad egg and loose cannon. Ended up getting jailed a few months ago for beating up an old lady. I know they say that you can't judge a book by its cover, but sometimes you can.

PRI_216276954.thumb.jpg.4f7f05712c0236759956f2649c171106.jpg

We do have a good history of signing talent from Peterborough though, and I like the look of their centre midfielder Kwame Poku who has goals in him, only 22, 7 goals and 6 assists already this season and been capped by Ghana. He's linked with Ipswich and Sunderland though and will probably consider either of them a more attractive proposition.

Edited by JonnyJonnyRowe

We cannot afford the best players in League 1, but I wouldn't be upset to see the whole squad leave not sure there's one good player at the club right now.

30 minutes ago, City 101 said:

not sure there's one good player at the club right now.

I think that's a bit extreme.

I for one really rate Josh Sargent and Dimi Giannoulis, and Rowe at 20 is showing signs of remarkable talent.

Probably got a few others who would go on to do well at other Championship clubs, and Sara is just completely wasted in a side which seemingly has a plan for the centre backs to punt the ball 60 yards and completely bypass the centre midfield.

The right manager and some would show their quality. 

That said, we seem to have a vast collection of wingers who should be in League One really. Hernandez and Springett for a start. 

But then we saw glimpses of a player in Placheta, before Wagner suddenly decided that he was a left back!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

I still have this theory that he was supposed to be the “big replacement” we had lined up for Andy O and it fell through last minute.

Something about him not leaving posh on deadline day when it seemed certain and something about how confident everyone sounded at the club and almost happy to see the back of Andy O makes me think he was the ace up our sleeve until it went wrong last min so we had to panic buy Ba’ath. I don’t think Ba’ath is even that bad but it just makes no real logical sense we got him in when we’d already spent big wages on Duffy to be the experienced head.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JonnyJonnyRowe said:

I think that's a bit extreme.

I for one really rate Josh Sargent and Dimi Giannoulis, and Rowe at 20 is showing signs of remarkable talent.

Probably got a few others who would go on to do well at other Championship clubs, and Sara is just completely wasted in a side which seemingly has a plan for the centre backs to punt the ball 60 yards and completely bypass the centre midfield.

The right manager and some would show their quality. 

That said, we seem to have a vast collection of wingers who should be in League One really. Hernandez and Springett for a start. 

But then we saw glimpses of a player in Placheta, before Wagner suddenly decided that he was a left back!

The amount of appearances Hernandez has made this season compared to Placheta is criminal. Apart from his mare at left back Placheta has been decent when played further forward.

1 minute ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I still have this theory that he was supposed to be the “big replacement” we had lined up for Andy O and it fell through last minute.

Something about him not leaving posh on deadline day when it seemed certain and something about how confident everyone sounded at the club and almost happy to see the back of Andy O makes me think he was the ace up our sleeve until it went wrong last min so we had to panic buy Ba’ath. I don’t think Ba’ath is even that bad but it just makes no real logical sense we got him in when we’d already spent big wages on Duffy to be the experienced head.

We need to have plenty of these type of young players next season , these older heads on higher wages are not doing the business

young and hungry players like before