Sign in to follow this  
Hank shoots Skyler

Ben Gibson

Anyone else at the game today notice the reaction of the crowd when Gibson came on? Doesn’t seem like many posted about it on the match thread but it was an absolutely dreadful reaction around me. Where I was sitting it sounded like a few boos but the most audible noise was a very loud collective groan / sigh. Like as if he’d already booted the ball out of play stupidly or something, but he was just… running on to the pitch?

To be completely honest it sounded like it was coming from the whole stadium not just around me but I could be wrong.

If any of this breed of idiot are posting on here then please just why? Our best home performance since the start of the season, the first time the fans and players have been pulling together in a long while and then that? What on Earth must Gibson feel like coming on to that?? And what about the rest of the players? I can’t fathom how they didn’t hear it. Just really poor from some of our fans, shame on you if this was you, do better!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Anyone else at the game today notice the reaction of the crowd when Gibson came on? Doesn’t seem like many posted about it on the match thread but it was an absolutely dreadful reaction around me. Where I was sitting it sounded like a few boos but the most audible noise was a very loud collective groan / sigh. Like as if he’d already booted the ball out of play stupidly or something, but he was just… running on to the pitch?

To be completely honest it sounded like it was coming from the whole stadium not just around me but I could be wrong.

If any of this breed of idiot are posting on here then please just why? Our best home performance since the start of the season, the first time the fans and players have been pulling together in a long while and then that? What on Earth must Gibson feel like coming on to that?? And what about the rest of the players? I can’t fathom how they didn’t hear it. Just really poor from some of our fans, shame on you if this was you, do better!!

Couldn’t. Agree. More. 

• Like 1

We commented on the reaction to Gibson coming on. Very poor from our fans.

Anyone wearing the yellow and green deserves our support.

OTBC 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Absolutely spot on. A ridiculous and moronic reaction from an idiotic section of our fanbase. It's possible that some of those booing/groaning weren't having a go at Gibson as such, but rather the fact that Wagner was replacing a midfielder with a defender when we were 2-0 up, but even if that was the case it was still just plain stupid. 

• Like 1

I didn't hear it, but poor form if it did take place. Maybe the booing was more about Sara coming off than Gibson coming on?  Either way, it seemed a logical substitution to me given how important it is to keep Sara fresh.

Edited by River End Rocker

Very audible boos/groans when he came on. However, I suspect it's in part down to a fear in Wagner's approach than a vitriolic reaction to Gibson.

I certainly didn't boo and didn't like hearing it, but I admit to being terrified at the possibility Wagner made this sub with an eye on moving McLean back to CM to make space for Gibson.

That prospect deserves booing, as we've seen where that leads; bottom half of the table.

He won't do it, surely?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, River End Rocker said:

I didn't hear it, but poor form if it did take place. Maybe the booing was more about Sara coming off than Gibson coming on?  Either way, it seemed a logical substitution to me given how important it is to keep Sara fresh.

Unfortunately the groans happened as Gibson’s name was announced and as he was coming on to the pitch - no doubt about that 

I agree fully if it was aimed at Gibson, but I’m inclined to think it was more a collective groan about the change as it was us apparently settling for the 2-0.  But even then it was pretty moronic as the changes made sense.

• Like 1

I heard them and thought the same. He was playing poorly before his injury, but maybe the enforced absence was a good chance for him to reset and come back into a team playing with more confidence. The reaction to his introduction is certainly not going to help, so I really have no idea what the idiots who booed him thought they were going to achieve. 

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I agree fully if it was aimed at Gibson, but I’m inclined to think it was more a collective groan about the change as it was us apparently settling for the 2-0.  But even then it was pretty moronic as the changes made sense.

Exactly, we were 2-0 up in the 82nd minute in our first of four games in nine days. Subbing the important players late on is common bloody sense.

• Like 4

I disagree.

The audible, "Oh, god. Not Gibson,"  sentiment that went around the ground was entirely justified.

Can't see Gibson being given another contract in the summer.

• Sad 1

They're the fans I really hope don't renew. Moreover I hope they're locked away somewhere as they're too thick to be allowed out in society.

Having Gibson back, a ball playing defender, is good. He may not be starting immediately but I'd expect he will be used throughout this busy period.

Before he was injured he was also performing considerable better than Duffy - who has since improved in this run. Why isn't Ben allowed the opportunity. And even then, how does it help booing the bloke?

I cant help but feel there's still a good % of fans who wanted their blood so badly they just cant let it go.They wanted Wagner sacked and they half don't want him to succeed because then they'd look as stupid as...they actually are.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Pyro Pete said:

I disagree.

The audible, "Oh, god. Not Gibson,"  sentiment that went around the ground was entirely justified.

Wow. No it was not - the guy is a human ffs - he 100% would’ve heard that reaction. What is he supposed to think? What are the rest of the team supposed to think?

No matter how bad you think the player coming on, as a fan / supporter that is not something you could ever justify. It’s so poor.  And it wasn’t ‘just’ a very audible groan but booing as well. 

I can understand it when a player has cocked up a few times in the game and **** up again (I.e. Duffy playing a simple pass straight out of play twice today), or maybe if it’s annoyance at the tactics of the substitution rather than the player, but when they’re literally just being subbed on in a game we’re 2-0 up and comfortable in? Come on!

I’m sure he won’t be renewed regardless of whether the fans react like that, why not get behind the team and players in a match we are clearly coasting in?

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I cant help but feel there's still a good % of fans who wanted their blood so badly they just cant let it go.They wanted Wagner sacked and they half don't want him to succeed because then they'd look as stupid as...they actually are.

This feels bang on to me

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Having Gibson back, a ball playing defender, is good. He may not be starting immediately but I'd expect he will be used throughout this busy period.

Before he was injured he was also performing considerable better than Duffy - who has since improved in this run. Why isn't Ben allowed the opportunity. And even then, how does it help booing the bloke? 

I mean…Gibson’s been poor for 3 seasons at this point. In fact I’d argue the only season where he looked “good” for us he had a £20m-rated Premier League holding midfielder mopping up in front of him the entire time, which is part of the reason our defence looked so damn good in that 2nd Championship campaign and yet imploded so spectacularly in the higher division and hadn’t looked the same even back at this level.

I can understand why fans are less than thrilled to have him back in the team, we’re on a semi-decent run and we all know he’s prone to poor performances and dismal gaffes, which to be honest we’re all sick and tired of this season already.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Having Gibson back, a ball playing defender, is good.

Here's a question for you; given his obscene salary, if you could press a button that ended his contract and got him off the books with zero compensation, would you press it?

• Confused 1

Great to see Gibbo back, but the fans did boo him clearly and not the substitution as such.

We have a long way to go to get everyone onside and supporting Wagner.

Awful reaction he should have our full support no matter how bad we/ he have been.

I'm inclined to say the booing was more at the fact we were moving Kenny forward but I'm not so sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

Here's a question for you; given his obscene salary, if you could press a button that ended his contract and got him off the books with zero compensation, would you press it?

Yes, if we could offload him in Jan and sign a younger ball playing CB I'd go for it.

As it is we are paying for him and for me he's a decent option 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, canarydan23 said:

This is exactly the poor and negative mindset of the idiot booing today.

Will he still be about at the end of season? Probably not as he's old and we want to reduce age and wage.

As it stands, we don't have a daft button and he is one of us. Back the players when appropriate. He did nothing wrong and just came back from a broken foot lay off.

Stupid fans

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

I mean…Gibson’s been poor for 3 seasons at this point. In fact I’d argue the only season where he looked “good” for us he had a £20m-rated Premier League holding midfielder mopping up in front of him the entire time, which is part of the reason our defence looked so damn good in that 2nd Championship campaign and yet imploded so spectacularly in the higher division and hadn’t looked the same even back at this level.

I can understand why fans are less than thrilled to have him back in the team, we’re on a semi-decent run and we all know he’s prone to poor performances and dismal gaffes, which to be honest we’re all sick and tired of this season already.

You can be "less than thrilled" about him getting 10 minutes in a game that's won without booing with the intellectual capacity of a 2 year old.

Gibson scored an unlucky own goal but other than that has not made individual mistakes leading to goals. Duffy had made 4 by the time Gibson went off injured at that point in the season.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

You can be "less than thrilled" about him getting 10 minutes in a game that's won without booing with the intellectual capacity of a 2 year old.

Gibson scored an unlucky own goal but other than that has not made individual mistakes leading to goals. Duffy had made 4 by the time Gibson went off injured at that point in the season.

I’m not going to defend the booing, I don’t agree with it either as booing a player coming on is nonsensical (and it doesn’t sound as though people were booing Sara’s name being called to go off). And I’m not saying Duffy’s an angel, but Gibson’s been poor for a lot longer than Duffy’s been here, so this season alone doesn’t tell the whole story. For the money he cost as a transfer fee and the wages he’s reported to be on, balanced against the performances he’s been given, Gibson is currently not cutting the mustard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

I disagree.

Was the booing justified, though?

Agreed about the second point; nobody is going to offer him anywhere close to what he earns now and I can't see us wanting to keep him on regardless of which division we're in. 

The cretin who sits behind me never makes a noise in support. Que the return from injury of one of our players and low and behold he's winging loudly, tutting and acting like a petulant child.

Our 'support' is baffling at times

25 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Was the booing justified, though?

I've never felt the need to ever boo my team. It's all a bit too much like panto for me. So I don't know why people ever do it.

Today, I'm guessing, it was probably just a reminder that we still have an ageing squad of limited ability.

On his exorbitant salary, I'm sure Gibson is laughing all the way to the bank.

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Fans pay their money. They can groan, if they like.

What a stupid comment. Much in life allows us to do many things. However, having that option does not mean everything you do is acceptable, just because you can

• Like 1