cambridgeshire canary

Festive injury updates

All coming straight from the horses mouth. Uh, Wagners mouth

• Dimi Giannoulis missed out at Ipswich Town last weekend, in what Wagner labelled a precautionary move regarding a 'slight' hamstring injury. The Greek was expected to return to training this week

• Grant Hanley (hamstring) played 45 mins for the U21s the following day in Manchester. Picked up a recent hamstring issue that halted his comeback from an Achilles injury earlier this year. Wagner indicated last week the defender was likely to need two weeks to build up his fitness

• Ben Gibson (broken foot) was scheduled to return to training this week

• Josh Sargent (ankle ligaments) and Hwang Ui-jo (hamstring) scheduled to return to training next week

• Jacob Sorensen (pelvis) is also expected to be in the mix at some point over the festive period

Sargent is the big one. We just have no attacking dimension on the bench at all, no way of really influencing a game. Need some options.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These are hardly updates. 

Unless Sargent is carrying a high degree of base fitness, which he could do being a young man, it does feel as though he won't be playing a full 90 mins until early Feb. If he needs 'two weeks to build up his fitness' like Hanley does, it will be a little while yet.

11 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

These are hardly updates. 

Unless Sargent is carrying a high degree of base fitness, which he could do being a young man, it does feel as though he won't be playing a full 90 mins until early Feb. If he needs 'two weeks to build up his fitness' like Hanley does, it will be a little while yet.

If you read what Wagner says as reported in the Pink'un tweets, he hints that Sarge is actually nearly there. He is quoted as saying they could have had him back in full training from the beginning of this week, but they "didn't" need to rush him back, so erred on the side of caution. Read into that what you like, but to my mind he could yet play this year!

• Like 1

Wags said sgt is super fit guy but no need to rush, ermmm we need a decent striker / goals ASAP... 😂 

Screenshot_20231221_155152_com.twitter.android.jpg

7 minutes ago, daz said:

Wags said sgt is super fit guy but no need to rush, ermmm we need a decent striker / goals ASAP... 😂 

Screenshot_20231221_155152_com.twitter.android.jpg

Whilst scoring more would clearly be good, it isn’t really our biggest problem, conceding is.  We’ve only had two shut-outs against us this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

We’ve only had two shut-outs against us this season.

Shut-outs ?

44 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

I think you know what that means. Clean sheets if you prefer.

Next you will be calling strikers offensive players.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Sargent is the big one. We just have no attacking dimension on the bench at all, no way of really influencing a game. Need some options.

Yep agree. Don't know why we don't or haven't had have any of the reserve team strikers on the bench as an option? Got to be better than nothing?

2 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Whilst scoring more would clearly be good, it isn’t really our biggest problem, conceding is.  We’ve only had two shut-outs against us this season.

3rd highest goals scored

2nd highest  goals conceded

I think Hanley's return is the more needed of the two

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, hurricane said:

Yep agree. Don't know why we don't or haven't had have any of the reserve team strikers on the bench as an option? Got to be better than nothing?

You can thank Webber for assembling a weak and totally unbalanced squad

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RobJames said:

3rd highest goals scored

2nd highest  goals conceded

I think Hanley's return is the more needed of the two

It would seem that way, but it's marginal. The Sarge is our Action Man and has performed an important role in carrying out his defensive responsibilities.

On balance, it's Sargent for me.

Edited by BroadstairsR

I'd actually say that the most important thing is just getting as many Championship-capable players in the squad as possible, rather than any one player. Having Sargent, Idah and Hwang available to send on is not the same as plugging Placheta, Gibbs or Springett in a forward position. 

No disrespect to the young lads- or even Placheta who has contributed a lot more this year than I thought he would- but there are levels. 

18 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

It would seem that way, but it's marginal. The Sarge is our Action Man and has performed an important role in carrying out his defensive responsibilities.

On balance, it's Sargent for me.

Great point. I’m a supporter of Idah and always hoped and believed he would come good, but we rarely see him in action when we’re defending. Josh has been there with a crucial challenge many times.

USA! USA! (Can’t believe I just typed that!)

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Great point. I’m a supporter of Idah and always hoped and believed he would come good, but we rarely see him in action when we’re defending. Josh has been there with a crucial challenge many times.

Adam Idah 0

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Let's hope this weekend we can score a homerun touchdown for our beloved Norfolk yellow birds

I was really hoping that this was a story about players getting injuries from Christmas festivities, such as breaking a finger while pulling a turkey wishbone, being hit in the eye by something flying from a cracker or dropping a jar of cranberry sauce on their foot.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iwans Big Toe said:

I've pulled my back wrapping a 43" TV.

obviously not an oled so work harder   lol