Soldier on

Those out of contract in summer

Looking ahead would you offer anyone new terms? Probably just Dimi / Mcallum for me. Would let Sorenson, Forshaw, Gibbs and Baath walk probably Placheta too. Have I missed any ??

2024 McCallum, Płacheta, Mair, Barden (+1), Gibson, Giannoulis, Sørensen (+1), McCracken, Rose (+1), Riley (+1), Lima (loan), Forshaw (+1), Batth (+1), Hwang (loan) (13 players, 6 with an extra year)

From @Feedthewolfexcellent Contract thread. No Gibbs it’s Gibson.

Personally I wouldn’t renew a single senior player in that list, it’s time for a fresh start and not one has proven themselves to be indispensable.

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 2

McCullum is the only one, Sorensen had potential but I’d injured far too much, Lee the rest go! Build from the youth system for long term success.

19 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

2024 McCallum, Płacheta, Mair, Barden (+1), Gibson, Giannoulis, Sørensen (+1), McCracken, Rose (+1), Riley (+1), Lima (loan), Forshaw (+1), Batth (+1), Hwang (loan) (13 players, 6 with an extra year)

Personally I wouldn’t renew a single senior player in that list, it’s time for a fresh start and not one has proven themselves to be indispensable.

This. Neither Dimi or McCallum have shown consistency. We need to find players who are consistently 7 out of 10 rather than continue to accept a player who plays 8 out of 10 every 5th game, but otherwise produces a 4 out of 10. 

Perhaps a bit harsh on Dimi who has been better this season, but has long been my view on him. 

30 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Ben Gibson his contract expires as well ? and no as one of the highest earner i would let him go 

• Like 1

I'd definitely keep Dimi.

Didn't realise Gibson's deal was up. That's great news, staggering that he is one of the league's best paid players.

44 minutes ago, Indy said:

McCullum is the only one, Sorensen had potential but I’d injured far too much, Lee the rest go! Build from the youth system for long term success.

He’s 23, when we bought him he was meant to be a coup getting him ahead of other PL interest. He’s never staked a claim to make the LB spot his own. Unless he somehow does so this season feels like time to cut losses personally.

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

He’s 23, when we bought him he was meant to be a coup getting him ahead of other PL interest. He’s never staked a claim to make the LB spot his own. Unless he somehow does so this season feels like time to cut losses personally.

Yes but Giannoulis goes we don’t have a left back!

11 minutes ago, Indy said:

Got from now until June to find targets and then a whole summer to work on it. 

Given what I assume their relative wages and sell on potential are, if we needed one I’d choose McCallum personally, still some hope there’s a better player there.

Edited by Monty13

A few of these would be more expensive to replace than to re sign.  We need backups and depth still.  

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

You’ve forgotten Kenny. And you his biggest fan too! 😉

I’m not certain where people think we will magically come up with some cash without parachute payments to find 2 new left backs.

i can’t imagine we will be able to offer Dimi the right package to stay and he will be in demand but otherwise would keep him for sure. McCallum will come down to the dimi decision and whether we have any young left backs coming through.

Gibson a hard one as we do have Warner, hills etc coming through so he can move on but I would keep one of the keepers, Barden was decent when he stepped in before. 

As always it depends who we have lined up to replace people with and how much the player wants to stay.  With this list we do need left backs, left side centre halves, and a CDM - although I know the CDM issue has been discussed to death.  I can see us looking to retain Gibson, Lima, and Dimi, although I suspect the two first team players would have to take a significant pay cut and would probably attract better offers elsewhere - Gibson must fancy a return to Teesside.

I'd definitely keep Dimi. For me, he's been one of our top five players so far this season and, although I accept that McCallum was like a different player after half time, he was an absolute liability in the first half. A bit unfair, I know, because McC hadn't played for such a long time and he was suddenly thrown into the cauldron of a local derby.  I'd be happy for him to be retained as a back-up.

They are both much better going forward than defending, but I feel Dimi has the better technique and, crucially, the better footballing brain. Rather than just throw the ball into the opposing penalty area, he looks at what is happening and tries to place it. Onel, and even Stacey, could learn a lot by watching him. The downside to Dimi is that he sometimes switches off and has an absolute mare of a game.

Whatever we do about left back, IMO we need to look at it as the entire left hand side of the pitch, and make sure they can work together as a pair or unit. Hopefully, Sainz is the answer further upfield.

9 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

You’ve forgotten Kenny. And you his biggest fan too! 😉

Nah he’s now a Centre Back!

• Haha 1

I thought Dimi was on a decent salary as well? Still, it would be cheaper to renew than replace with an upgrade.

If Sorensen can prove he isn't a sicknote between now and June, then possibly keep him but I can see him rejecting the contract anyway.

Unfortunately it will be as much to do about finance than ability this time around, so those on high wages like Dimi and Gibson will likely go. 

At a guess I'd say only McCullum will stay.