Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Upper Tiers Closed

Can't remember this happening before (but I remember less and less these days 🙂 ) 

Just been on the Club site looking at tickets for the FA Cup 3rd round game and it says on there that the upper tiers of the River End and Barclay will be closed for this game.

Guess somebody can start a thread about empty seats...................

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Can't remember this happening before (but I remember less and less these days 🙂 ) 

Just been on the Club site looking at tickets for the FA Cup 3rd round game and it says on there that the upper tiers of the River End and Barclay will be closed for this game.

Guess somebody can start a thread about empty seats...................

Saves the club money I suppose, they clearly know they won't sell many tickets.

11 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Nearer the time, if by some miracle ticket sales are strong, then they have the option of opening upper tiers.

I had a quick look earlier, they've sold quite a lot by the look of it.

1 minute ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

If they made it kids for a quid I’d take my Godson as he’s never been to a game. I’m sure they would fill it all then. 

It is.

12 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I had a quick look earlier, they've sold quite a lot by the look of it.

Is it not season ticket holders seats reserved for so long ? ( I’m just guessing by the way ).

2 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Is it not season ticket holders seats reserved for so long ? ( I’m just guessing by the way ).

Oh yeah, thats probably the case actually. Was wondering why they had sold so many tickets!

As NaturalCynic said they don't know the numbers they will sell so they will sell out one area of the stadium before opening up another. With a date to decide whether to open up the rest of the stadium so they can allocate staff arrange resources.

21 minutes ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

If they made it kids for a quid I’d take my Godson as he’s never been to a game. I’m sure they would fill it all then. 

Why do I feel that old joke coming on about us having to call social services if you do ?

Adults are £12 and Children £1 for this game so I don’t think anyone can complain in terms of entry prices.  I imagine if we were going well we’d get 20k+ but it is what it is.

Can't complain about the general admission prices. What is the take up for those expensive commercial packages? Perhaps they could use the yield from those to donate to the charity initiative then perhaps fill the ground.  

A much better idea would be £10 for a family of 4 in the areas that they have closed then £15 per Adult and £5 per child in the rest of the ground. Probably more revenue and more atmosphere.

Rather there were four sides of fans than closure of one stand altogether. I attended a cup match at Bramall Lane where they did this, they actually closed the Kop (the equivalent of the Barclay), totally killed the atmosphere. Probably no surprise they got beat that game. 

This has been pretty much standard procedure for many years, they open up the upper tiers if demand is there

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ness Point Runner said:

I remember going to Bramall Lane when one side was a cricket pitch !

They never won much then either! 😉 

55 minutes ago, Ness Point Runner said:

Encouraging the youngsters is always a good idea.

Once they are hooked they will be the future on the Forum. 

Then they will ask "What was the Pinkun"

Not sure it's a good time to risk it. Its not an enjoyable experience at the moment, so best not put them off for life. 

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

No ambition to sell tickets. Why not make it free?

Parents + under 18s for a fiver - I'd love to see the database but I'm sure we have an aging fan base. We need to generate the next generation of fans.

1 hour ago, AJ said:

This has been pretty much standard procedure for many years, they open up the upper tiers if demand is there

I can’t remember any league or  cup game in the last 20 years where the Barclay or River end uppers have been closed?!

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

4 hours ago, By Hook or Ian crook said:

It is kids for a quid.

I guess they're assuming they won't sell enough tickets to make it worth opening the upper tiers. But nothing to stop them changing their mind later if they sell more than they anticipate.

4 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Adults are £12 and Children £1 for this game so I don’t think anyone can complain in terms of entry prices.  I imagine if we were going well we’d get 20k+ but it is what it is.

Oh it’s already £1 is it I’ll have a look if I can get tickets thanks 

21 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It is kids for a quid.

I guess they're assuming they won't sell enough tickets to make it worth opening the upper tiers. But nothing to stop them changing their mind later if they sell more than they anticipate.

Yeah just seen that I didn’t look at ticket prices before I posted but just got informed so will look into it 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sufyellow said:

Not sure it's a good time to risk it. It’s not an enjoyable experience at the moment, so best not put them off for life. 

Aside from the first few games that my late dad took me to which  first got me ‘the bug’ -  I, alongside a fixed core (plus an ever-changing looser band) of schoolmates, would go to early round cup games during the Division 1 doldrums of the mid- 90s, taking advantage of the quid tickets then offered via schools.

It was great fun and being the cups, there was no guarantee of being served up disappointment in the shape of our usual league form  - I remember several medium and high-scoring wins against lower league minnows, which at that age and experience/expectation/ego was the height of excitement.

It boiled the pot and fed the habit until the time Norwich started to get competitive again, and I had enough  cash and independence to follow the club as a student

Edited by GenerationA47
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

I can’t remember any league or  cup game in the last 20 years where the Barclay or River end uppers have been closed?!

v Stevenage 2018/19

v Swindon & v Charlton 2017/18

v Coventry 2016/17

All in the early rounds of the League Cup

Edited by NewNestCarrow

6 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

v Stevenage 2018/19

v Coventry 2016/17

6 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

v Stevenage 2018/19

v Coventry 2016/17

A little different from 3PM Saturday FA Cup and had over 20,000 for a Sunday game last year.