Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Carlisle

Just been taken over by American investors.  The process, start to finish, took six months. No messing, everyone has bought into it and the club is signalling their next match as the start of a new era.  A new start, the impetus of a clean and clearly marked line in the sand - and optimism rules for the future.  Makes our switch look a tad lame.

• Like 2

I hadn't realised the US investors were taking full control of NCFC. Thanks for that LDC. Nice to be kept updated.

You don't really have a point though, do you? If this quick takeover leads to quicker success you do. If it all falls apart and the new owners demonstrate a huge lack of knowledge in English football that ultimately costs the club on the pitch, it would reinforce why we are doing things the way we are.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

They made it to the top tier before us too...

They were top of the old First Division after three games in 74/75 I think, P3 W3...and no goals conceded.We missed out on playing them that campaign as we'd gone down as they came up...then we came back up and they went down.

Plus they had the cricketing footballer (or footballing cricketer) in Chris Balderstone.

Can't see Joe Root turning out for Luton any time soon.

8 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Just been taken over by American investors.  The process, start to finish, took six months. No messing, everyone has bought into it and the club is signalling their next match as the start of a new era.  A new start, the impetus of a clean and clearly marked line in the sand - and optimism rules for the future.  Makes our switch look a tad lame.

Indeed Lakey, unfortunately those that have replied would like our takeover to drag on indefinitely or better still be cancelled. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

You don't really have a point though, do you? If this quick takeover leads to quicker success you do. If it all falls apart and the new owners demonstrate a huge lack of knowledge in English football that ultimately costs the club on the pitch, it would reinforce why we are doing things the way we are.

Even if it does lead to success he doesn't. Carlisle have been in financial difficulty for ages and have changed ownership 4 or 5 times in the last 20 years and the owners have been looking for new owners for a while. The fact they got promoted last season was a something of a miracle and they need the cash to invest in January if they are to have any chance of survival this season so there was much more of an incentive to get this finished quickly.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You've obviously never been to Carlisle. 

I imagine it is an island full of Carls

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, hogesar said:

Lakey’s point isn’t about success on the field. He’s pointing out that takeovers can be done speedily and cleanly for the sake of a fresh start and that Carlisle’s makes clear how pointlessly drawn out and messy ours has been. Point made and certainly worthy of reflection 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Lakey’s point isn’t about success on the field. He’s pointing out that takeovers can be done speedily and cleanly for the sake of a fresh start and that Carlisle’s makes clear how pointlessly drawn out and messy ours has been. Point made and certainly worthy of reflection 

The point for me is that we're glued to Attanasio anyway unless D&MWJ can find a buyer for their 40%. The 3 year period (only 2 left) isn't really a safeguard. 

There's also the small matter of the interest Attanasio is taking on the debt over the period.

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

They made it to the top tier before us too...

It was a couple of years after us Nutty but I do remember them being top of the old First Division after winning their first three games.

Didn’t last and they went down the same season. Fun while it lasted.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

“For the sake of a fresh start” - there’s a job going for you somewhere as a spin doctor. 

57 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

As I stated above, the situation both on and off the field is wildly different so you're comparing apples to oranges. The Carlisle owners wanted a quick sale as they needed it to happen like that and have made no secret of the fact they were desperate for someone to come and take it off their hands .. I just hope that the Americans are realistic in their expectations.

• Like 1

Are we allowed to mention Man Utd as the distinct opposite and how it can drag endlessly?

It’s a scale/situation thing - it’s rather daft to compare us with Carlisle, in their current situation, as it would be to Man U and theirs.  They are all different and the point being made is pretty pointless.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Are we allowed to mention Man Utd as the distinct opposite and how it can drag endlessly?

It’s a scale/situation thing - it’s rather daft to compare us with Carlisle, in their current situation, as it would be to Man U and theirs.  They are all different and the point being made is pretty pointless.

The point is not to compare, but to demonstrate that these things don't have to be long drawn out affairs. There is no doubt that the clean cut takeover at Carlisle has given the whole club there a boost.

Whether that is a short term boost or not remains to be seen, but it has given their fans something to enthuse about and start to think positively that they could get real success, for the first time in years. 

34 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

“For the sake of a fresh start” - there’s a job going for you somewhere as a spin doctor. 

Not on here as there are enough of them on this forum already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

He's turned out for Sheffield United in a couple of charity games, mind.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Shuck said:

They were top of the old First Division after three games in 74/75 I think, P3 W3...and no goals conceded.We missed out on playing them that campaign as we'd gone down as they came up...then we came back up and they went down.

Plus they had the cricketing footballer (or footballing cricketer) in Chris Balderstone.

It's funny that I always remember that as earlier. I remember them MOTD and they put up a weird bit of film with cows in a field.

Notts County were up there around that time. I remember going there on Boxing Day in the days of football special trains.

Talking of footballing cricketers...

319792940_Screenshot_2023-11-23-10-39-32-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b122.jpg.d71341802efd8ae2b724b50ac91732b3.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's funny that I always remember that as earlier. I remember them MOTD and they put up a weird bit of film with cows in a field.

Notts County were up there around that time. I remember going there on Boxing Day in the days of football special trains.

319792940_Screenshot_2023-11-23-10-39-32-28_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b122.jpg.d71341802efd8ae2b724b50ac91732b3.jpg

Think Jim Cumbes, who played against us in the '75 League Cup final was another? Botham maybe the only one better known, so to speak, as a cricketer than a footballer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

The point is not to compare, but to demonstrate that these things don't have to be long drawn out affairs. There is no doubt that the clean cut takeover at Carlisle has given the whole club there a boost.

Whether that is a short term boost or not remains to be seen, but it has given their fans something to enthuse about and start to think positively that they could get real success, for the first time in years. 

In what way is this not an attempt to draw a comparison?  

13 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Don’t think Notts County have ever played Carlisle in the top flight. Early 80s when the Magpies went up under Sirrel. 

2 minutes ago, Old Shuck said:

Think Jim Cumbes, who played against us in the '75 League Cup final was another? Botham maybe the only one better known, so to speak, as a cricketer than a footballer.

Used to watch Terry Allcock at Lakenham keeping wicket for Norfolk.

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t think Notts County have ever played Carlisle in the top flight. Early 80s when the Magpies went up under Sirrel. 

I never went on a football special to see Carlisle play them either...

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

I never went on a football special to see Carlisle play them either...

Just correcting you that you’d got mixed up by around seven years, no big deal really. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Just correcting you that you’d got mixed up by around seven years, no big deal really. 

Did you ever go on a football special? 

I'm not looking it up but we played them on boxing day mid 70s. I expect it was second div. The year Carlisle were first.

3 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Did you ever go on a football special? 

I'm not looking it up but we played them on boxing day mid 70s. I expect it was second div. The year Carlisle were first.

It was 74 and an 3.0 win, I only pointed out County were not up there around the same time as Carlisle.