Sign in to follow this  
PurpleCanary

JANUARY 2024

Norwich City Football club has:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

A new (US) director in the boardroom.

Sargent back fit and forming an excitingly mobile front two with Hwang.

Hanley back fit and forming an excitingly mobile central defensive unit with Warner.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

Hanley back fit and forming an excitingly mobile central defensive unit with Warner.

'Hanley' and 'excitingly mobile' seem totally contradictory terms one might suggest!

• Haha 5

8 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

My thoughts too.  Stops us being relegated, probably too late for any thoughts around promotion.  Although……thoughts head to Forest a couple of seasons ago and Boro last….poor starts, both made playoffs.  Not over yet. 
And Coventry…

Edited by Danbury Yellow

12 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

If you could add Smith & Jones agree to an earlier than planned full takeover you’d be getting somewhere. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Danbury Yellow said:

My thoughts too.  Stops us being relegated, probably too late for any thoughts around promotion.  Although……thoughts head to Forest a couple of seasons ago and Boro last….poor starts, both made playoffs.  Not over yet. 
And Coventry…

Yes January will be about steadying the ship and for the new SD and HC to assess the squad. I'm confident we're not going down but we'll be in this division next season barring a disaster.

In an alternate universe maybe.

reality is Webber still hanging around, the Americans getting bored with delias games and another cheap crap managerial appointment

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

A new sporting director but Webber still hanging around seeing out his notice. Without influence?

No. He will have gone by then. 

Edited by PurpleCanary

1 minute ago, Coneys Knee said:

In an alternate universe maybe.

reality is Webber still hanging around, the Americans getting bored with delias games and another cheap crap managerial appointment

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

I think this is pretty likely, although I wonder how much impact Hanley's injury has had on him. He's not young anymore! Albeit, he's still twice the defender Duffy has been this season.

20 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

I'm sorry, but although the scenario might be right, new head coach, players back fit etc, the truth is that the momentum is hugely in the wrong direction and that can be very difficult to turn round, even if everyone is back fit. We might do enough to avoid relegation, but improvement is needed now, not in two months, or the lack of confidence will be so ingrained that it will be too late to rescue anything. 

17 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

'Hanley' and 'excitingly mobile' seem totally contradictory terms one might suggest!

Hanley was always very quick over 5/10 yards although he probably wouldn't be classed as that fast over 100 metres etc ( a bit like Teemu on the other side of the equation).

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

Barnes and Sargent is the strike force we need, Hwang has got better though

37 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

A new head coach.

A new sporting director.

What about the financial black hole? 

We need more than just one new sporting director too, imo. We need a whole raft of new senior management, and a chairperson, or similar. Knapper needs to report  into someone other than Delia or Zoe, and not be allowed free reign and unaccountability like Webber.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

18 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

What makes you so sure, Purple? Insider knowledge, or a hunch? He's contracted until March, so may well see it as part of his exit plan to work alongside Knapper for a couple of months at least.

4 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Barnes is arguably the most influential person at the club. He is the only one capable of kicking **** and bossing people around to get a tune out of them. In this respect, he is what's needed most, but at the same time is totally out of character with the weaklings all around and above him.

15 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

Hanley was always very quick over 5/10 yards although he probably wouldn't be classed as that fast over 100 metres etc ( a bit like Teemu on the other side of the equation).

I disagree. He's just fast full stop. Whether the injury takes a yard or two off him though remains to be seen though.

Hanley's problem has been his distribution and lapses in concentration, not his lack of athleticism.

10 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Hwang is better than Idah to be fair.

That says it all about Idah.

100% having Barnes back is as critical as Sarge.  I also believe that Sainz becoming a starter is something to look forward to between now and then.  Things aren't all that bad longerterm - it's just that we knew this period was going to be tough, but I don't think anyone expected such a poor run of results, you normally get lucky in a few games - we've just been utter ****e in getting results.

27 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

A new sporting director but Webber still hanging around seeing out his notice. Without influence?

And still hearing nothing from the Attanasio's as Delia & Co have stopped any comments! 

Just now, Worthy Nigelton said:

I disagree. He's just fast full stop. Whether the injury takes a yard or two off him though remains to be seen though.

Hanley's problem has been his distribution and lapses in concentration, not his lack of athleticism.

Warner was good in patches and did look OK with the ball at his feet and confident. But some of his defending was dreadful as well. Whether that was influenced by Duffy is possible.

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Warner was good in patches and did look OK with the ball at his feet and confident. But some of his defending was dreadful as well. Whether that was influenced by Duffy is possible.

Duffy is horrifically bad. I'm shocked at how terrible he is. I said on another thread, I'd honestly release him in January and just put it down as a mistake and move on.

19 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Oh and February is first deadline for Season Ticket renewal....'Huzzah!'.....

.....and I do look forward to the club spiel if they have the audacity to put the ST prices up.....If we're strugglin' financially the support will bear the brunt....no doubt....

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

Why on earth would you sign somebody called Duffy? Just asking to be set up. Duffy to duffer.

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Only problem is that there are two months to January. It is now that matters. 

Quite right. Including getting hammered in the derby 

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I thought we were told he will be here until March?

Yeah 'crampon our style'....(see what I did there)....

3 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

What makes you so sure, Purple? Insider knowledge, or a hunch? He's contracted until March, so may well see it as part of his exit plan to work alongside Knapper for a couple of months at least.

FtW, as said before, Webber won't want to stay until March because he plans to climb Evererest in May. A point that Davitt made a few days back  as well. But Knapper will not be keen on Webber hanging around either, and he will be in a position to make that clear if need be. He will want the January transfer window to be his. I assume Webber and Knapper have already started talking, but even if not one month is more than enough time for the handover. £20 to the PUPs if Webber has not gone before Christmas.

• Thanks 1