Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy_Fitch

Jacob Sørensen

After yet another no show from all Norwich players bar Johnny Rowe. 

What does Jacob Sørensen need to do to get back into the first team? Played in an u21 game on the 9th October.

He is better than what we've got atm. Players tonight couldn't even pass to each other.

Also, I know this will go down like a led balloon but Sara is not as good as we think he is. Yes in some games he's been amazing. But he's not consistent enough if you were to compare him to Emi and Madders who showed up every game and ran the show.

10 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

I disagree re Sorenson but I agree re Sara.

Did you watch tonights game? It's shocking that these players call themselves professionals. It's worse than Dean Smith football.

Edited by Jimmy_Fitch

Clearly Wagner either doesnt think Forshaw is either fit enough or good enough or perhaps more worringly ,isnt needed as a defensive midfielder in this team despite the opposition continously marching through McLean's pathetic attempts at stopping them

His failure to address this WILL ultimately cost him his job

The last roll of the dice may well be Sorenson. We simply must have better protection in front of the back 4.

Sit Sorenson in the anchor role and see if he can be effective

Sorensen is worse than what we have.

If he did come into the team, he might have an impact for a couple of games as he'd be buzzing and everyone else is low on confidence, but he's certainly not the solution. 

It looks like a case of Lafferty-Becchio syndrome, whereby players out of the team suddenly appear to be world beaters because those on the pitch aren't performing. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If he did come into the team, he might have an impact for a couple of games as he'd be buzzing and everyone else is low on confidence, but he's certainly not the solution. 

It looks like a case of Lafferty-Becchio syndrome, whereby players out of the team suddenly appear to be world beaters because those on the pitch aren't performing. 

is this the same player that a manager said he was the best left back they have played against all season ?

Sara

McLean   Sorenson 

Those 3 like that in the middle for me. Kenny's work rate, Sorenson's calmness and Sara's flair and creativity. 

What's not to like? 

Sorensen won't come into the team. Will make bench but be left there for weeks. When he stepped in and helped at left back he was lauded generally for his performances. There's a player there. He was bought as a box to box midfielder but we've never seen that have we

7 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Clearly Wagner either doesnt think Forshaw is either fit enough or good enough or perhaps more worringly ,isnt needed as a defensive midfielder in this team despite the opposition continously marching through McLean's pathetic attempts at stopping them

The last roll of the dice may well be Sorenson. We simply must have better protection in front of the back 4.

McLeans pathetic attempts?

57 minutes ago, hogesar said:

McLeans pathetic attempts?

Weak in the challrnge, wont close down, easily overrun

Not entirely his fault as we already knew this of him

The blame lays at the door of the manager who wont play/sign a specialust defensive midfielder to play alongside/instead of him

We're seeing now the importance of a Tettey or Skipp and that McLean was being carried along by them

8 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Agree entirely. I like Kenny as a player, there is a role for him in this side, but he and Sara playing as the deep midfield 2 is killing us. Teams are just allowed to run at and into our box and shoot unchallenged. Often having carried the ball 30 or 40 yards. One pass or one misplaced pass from us sees the opposition in behind our midfield and running at our defence. It is so, so obvious. 

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

The blame lays at the door of the manager who wont play/sign a specialust defensive midfielder to play alongside/instead of him

We're seeing now the importance of a Tettey or Skipp and that McLean was being carried along by them

Not being carried by them, more being allowed to play his natural game by their presence. Kenny is being played out of position, but has shown time and again under many managers that he's a very good central midfielder. Yes, we know he's been found out at PL level, but frankly that doesn't look like it's going to be a concern any time soon. Hopefully a new manager will make a proper defensive screen an absolute priority in January, even if it means selling someone to fund it. Kenny is performing as well as he can in an unnatural position, in a failing team bereft of confidence. Where the club is at right now, Kenny is absolutely part of the solution rather than part of the problem, which is why Leeds tried to poach him from us and why we extended his contract.

• Like 6

Overall the midfield is on a downward spiral in terms of form and that includes McLean and Sara. It needs tweaks and changes.

I'm not sure Sorensen is the answer but equally I'd love to see a new coach given the chance to get that midfield working. On the face of it the signing of Forshaw looks a complete waste of time.

Below taken from a twitter account and shows the neglegence of coach and sporting director in not signing a DM and believing we could get away with McLean playing in that position...

"In the last 4 games, #NCFC's opponents have had a total of 82 goal efforts (23, 21, 19, 19). That would be unacceptable in the PL. In the Champ., it's a damning indictment of structure, tactics & organisation"

19 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Not being carried by them, more being allowed to play his natural game by their presence. Kenny is being played out of position, but has shown time and again under many managers that he's a very good central midfielder. Yes, we know he's been found out at PL level, but frankly that doesn't look like it's going to be a concern any time soon. Hopefully a new manager will make a proper defensive screen an absolute priority in January, even if it means selling someone to fund it. Kenny is performing as well as he can in an unnatural position, in a failing team bereft of confidence. Where the club is at right now, Kenny is absolutely part of the solution rather than part of the problem, which is why Leeds tried to poach him from us and why we extended his contract.

I thought Gary O’Neil covered this articulately on Monday night football. Everyone would love a single pivot like Rodri but they are rare, so most have to think about getting the balance right in a double pivot of one player to get on the ball and instigate the play (I.e. Kenny) and one more robust athletic sort who denies the opposition space, keeps shape effectively but uses the ball simply. Unfortunately we don’t have this individual outside of an ageing Forshaw or a still to prove it Sorensen. Kenny and Sara there together is a mismatch.

for us the problem is amplified as we choose to play our full backs really high which means we are a sitting duck in transition. I really don’t think it’s that hard to make us tighter and more competitive but we seriously do lack goal threat at the moment. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Big O said:

I thought Gary O’Neil covered this articulately on Monday night football. Everyone would love a single pivot like Rodri but they are rare, so most have to think about getting the balance right in a double pivot of one player to get on the ball and instigate the play (I.e. Kenny) and one more robust athletic sort who denies the opposition space, keeps shape effectively but uses the ball simply. Unfortunately we don’t have this individual outside of an ageing Forshaw or a still to prove it Sorensen. Kenny and Sara there together is a mismatch.

for us the problem is amplified as we choose to play our full backs really high which means we are a sitting duck in transition. I really don’t think it’s that hard to make us tighter and more competitive but we seriously do lack goal threat at the moment. 

I think most teams in this division would lack goal threat if you took their first- and second-choice strikers out of the equation for a prolonged period of time. But that aside, I totally agree with your analysis. One reason it worked so well under Farke was that there was a disciplined defensive pivot (Tettey) who would automatically drop in to make a back three when the fullbacks bombed forward. With Kenny and Sara in a double pivot, there just isn't that skill set. "Sitting ducks in transition" nails it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Also that Emi and Madders never had a bad game.

And Sorensen? It’s a meh from me. Although to be completely fair, I think he did ok last time he had a run of games in his so-called intended position. But can we afford to give him a run of games and for him to be just ok?

Sorensens OK must surely be better than this and he has the ability to drop in between the centre halves a la Tettey. We have to change something as we are just not creating anything

9 hours ago, Jimmy_Fitch said:

After yet another no show from all Norwich players bar Johnny Rowe. 

What does Jacob Sørensen need to do to get back into the first team? Played in an u21 game on the 9th October.

He is better than what we've got atm. Players tonight couldn't even pass to each other.

Also, I know this will go down like a led balloon but Sara is not as good as we think he is. Yes in some games he's been amazing. But he's not consistent enough if you were to compare him to Emi and Madders who showed up every game and ran the show.

Sorensens is not good enough, end of for me really. Certainly not good enough to play CM and has done a job at LB.

For me I would rather see some of these older players shipped out, Sorenson, Idah, Hernadez. If we are ever to take a step forwards we need some new blood in and by that I dont mean free transfers which are 34.

32 minutes ago, Big O said:

I'd long for even a single pivot !!!!

57 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

51 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Agree entirely. I like Kenny as a player, there is a role for him in this side, but he and Sara playing as the deep midfield 2 is killing us. Teams are just allowed to run at and into our box and shoot unchallenged. Often having carried the ball 30 or 40 yards. One pass or one misplaced pass from us sees the opposition in behind our midfield and running at our defence. It is so, so obvious. 

The problem I have is I don't think a CDM, a natural one, solves our problem. Not if Wagner wants them to perform the same way he's set us up now. We are asking Mclean to cover both fullback positions on the counter, we want him to take the ball off the CB's to build attacks but we also want him to sit in between the CB's at times. We also want him to drive with the ball when we beat an initial press and have the opportunity to do so.

Not only is a player who can do those things, whilst also having a decent passing range but being better at tackling, intercepting and reading the game than Kenny completely out of our budget, I also don't think we'd see them playing as a natural CDM under Wagner. 

I'd be more than happy with a natural CDM coming into the side but we'd have to change the way we play for it to be effective regardless.

• Like 1

I want to see Forshaw and Lungi as the defensive double pivot, Sara going box-to-box.

Gonna say this until I am blue in the face, our problem is that we play with BOTH overlapping full-backs AND wingers. Play one of each. Not both. The set-up that we have might be precisely what's needed against a defensive opponent when we're chasing a game. It doesn't work from the start unless there's a serious advantage in power, fitness, and pace.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

6 wins 12 defeats in last 24 games, and conceding too many shots per game tells you the way we are playing isn't effective.    The style is too easy to stifle and crucially create against. 

That's why a change is needed 

Add in cbs and cms who back off to inside the pen area rather than challenge it a recipe for disaster

11 hours ago, Jimmy_Fitch said:

Did you watch tonights game? It's shocking that these players call themselves professionals. It's worse than Dean Smith football.

Totally agree with last 2 posts. Play Sorensen and Forshaw together with Sara further forward. Reduce the marauding from the fullbacks. Every game we are conceding more shots on goal than the opposition . The defence needs to tighten up- I still worry at the other end with no Sergeant. Play Rowe up front as our leading scorer with Sainz on wing replacing him . Baath needs a game . For me Gibson and McLean to take a break. It can’t get any worse.

5 minutes ago, jonnyace1 said:

Reduce the marauding from the fullbacks. Every game we are conceding more shots on goal than the opposition.

Last night I think this was the message given to Giannoulis. Certainly in the first half he did not seem to be marauding. Meanwhile Stacey on the other side was, but was crap at playing a final ball into the box. Unfortunately the message to Dimi led to the mistake that gave Boro the lead in the end, as he turned back when already in the opposition half, rather than maraud further forward like he normally does.

The manager tweaked the structure last night by asking Dimi to play more defensively but this in effect meant Dimi's best characteristics were blunted and his poorer characteristics were revealed.

What Wagner should have done was find a better structure so that all the players on the pitch could exploit their best attributes, whilst finding better support for the dreadnought defence we have. That means unfortunately playing the percentages more, leaving his preferred structure until the return of Sargent Barnes. Will he do this versus Sunderland? It could be a last roll of the dice ....