Just now, keelansgrandad said:

I would say he is more consistent than Rashford.

I think they are very different players too to be fair.

I'd also forgotten about Grelish.

It seems that Foden and Saka are both viewed as being best on the right, Grealish and Rashford on the left.

Lovely problem to have as I'd imagine most teams would kill for the Saka, Maddison, Grealish combo that didn't play tonight.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

Very good second half performance. I think this set up has the right balance, let's Bellingham get close to Kane and doesnt force square pegs into round holes. We could really do with a better option next to Rice though.

I wonder if Maddison can take that place. With Bellingham working hard as do Saka and Foden, I think we could accommodate him in the lineup.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I think they are very different players too to be fair.

I'd also forgotten about Grelish.

It seems that Foden and Saka are both viewed as being best on the right, Grealish and Rashford on the left.

Lovely problem to have as I'd imagine most teams would kill for the Saka, Maddison, Grealish combo that didn't play tonight.

Grealish does tend to slow things down whereas our goals came from pace tonight. I think he is an impact sub at best for England.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wonder if Maddison can take that place. With Bellingham working hard as do Saka and Foden, I think we could accommodate him in the lineup.

Maybe against the lesser teams but he can't play as a central midfielder against the bigger teams.

A good performance and a well deserved victory....We have talent and strength in depth....An enjoyable game and will silence the boo boys and the apathetic....

Guehi looked good when he came on I thought, very calm and assured.

How on earth do you pick the best starting XI from that lot!

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Feels like we have a spine of 5 nailed on starters- Pickford, Stones, Rice, Bellingham, Kane. We've then got depth everywhere other than central midfield so you can make arguments for plenty of players.

Really good second half performance against a good team on a good run of form.

Bellingham really does elevate the group into genuine potential Euro winners.

55 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Grealish does tend to slow things down whereas our goals came from pace tonight. I think he is an impact sub at best for England.

Can see what Grealish brings, gets the ball , goes backwards and falls over

6 hours ago, S_81 said:

Bound to be a Southgate bore-fest. 
With him again puzzled why the fans don’t want to lovingly embrace the now over the hill and playing in a tin pot league - Jordan Henderson. 

Yet another wonderful prediction. You clearly are due a career as a fortune teller!

10 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Guehi has always looked great at Palace. Get the feeling that he won't be at that club much longer if he carries on

13 hours ago, king canary said:

Whisper it but I think Gilmour would actually have a chance of making the squad right now...

You'll regret saying that...

14 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

You'll regret saying that...

Oh I knew exactly what I was doing!

To be fair he does play regularly now for a good team in a position we're short in. I had a look at the u21's and there doesn't seem to be any obvious choices to play next to Rice coming through there either. In my view Ward-Prowse should be in there but otherwise it is players like Curtis Jones who isn't a regular for Liverpool or seeing if TAA or Rico Lewis can make the positional switch.

• Like 1

Oh dear Harry. Sometimes, especially when you yourself are under the microscope, its best not to say anything. "Dedicate their life". Where is the sick bowl?

England defender Harry Maguire says supporters who booed midfielder Jordan Henderson "aren't England fans".

Henderson was booed when he was substituted in Friday's 1-0 friendly win over Australia and when he came on in the 3-1 Euro 2024 qualifying victory against Italy on Tuesday.

Former Liverpool captain Henderson was criticised for joining Saudi Arabian side Al-Ettifaq this summer.

"Proper England fans don't boo players," said Maguire.

"Don't boo players who dedicate their life to play and do everything they can to make this country have good memories and have special moments for them and their families."

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

Oh I knew exactly what I was doing!

To be fair he does play regularly now for a good team in a position we're short in. I had a look at the u21's and there doesn't seem to be any obvious choices to play next to Rice coming through there either. In my view Ward-Prowse should be in there but otherwise it is players like Curtis Jones who isn't a regular for Liverpool or seeing if TAA or Rico Lewis can make the positional switch.

John Stones can play there!

1 minute ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

John Stones can play there!

Stones is our best central defender though. I'm not sure I'd be moving him right now, unless we want more Maguire.

12 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Yet another wonderful prediction. You clearly are due a career as a fortune teller!

Glad to be proved wrong. 

12 hours ago, Commonsense said:

That aged well. Are you Scottish?

Stand by it, good performance against one of the poorest italian sides in my lifetime aside, we'll do the same as always do under him next year, beat those we should then get knocked out as soon as we play anyone half decent. We're wasting these players with him.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Oh dear Harry. Sometimes, especially when you yourself are under the microscope, its best not to say anything. "Dedicate their life". Where is the sick bowl?

England defender Harry Maguire says supporters who booed midfielder Jordan Henderson "aren't England fans".

Henderson was booed when he was substituted in Friday's 1-0 friendly win over Australia and when he came on in the 3-1 Euro 2024 qualifying victory against Italy on Tuesday.

Former Liverpool captain Henderson was criticised for joining Saudi Arabian side Al-Ettifaq this summer.

"Proper England fans don't boo players," said Maguire.

"Don't boo players who dedicate their life to play and do everything they can to make this country have good memories and have special moments for them and their families."

Nice to see yer own fans booin’ ye

2 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Stand by it, good performance against one of the poorest italian sides in my lifetime aside, we'll do the same as always do under him next year, beat those we should then get knocked out as soon as we play anyone half decent. We're wasting these players with him.

It's funny that whenever we beat a big team they always aren't that good really. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, king canary said:

It's funny that whenever we beat a big team they always aren't that good really. 

You honestly think this Italian side is a good one??? They've got players who have failed at West Ham and Everton.

If you can name me a worse Italian squad in the past 40 odd years I'd be interested to know?

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

You honestly think this Italian side is a good one??? They've got players who have failed at West Ham and Everton.

If you can name me a worse Italian squad in the past 40 odd years I'd be interested to know?

I think they are pretty average to be honest. They were probably worse in 2018 when they didn't qualify for the World Cup.

I'm more commenting on the general refusal to give Southgate any credit. Italy may not be great but historically England lost these sort of games.

I really don't know what to make of International football. Maybe I'm too harsh on Southgate. Or is International football not as good as it used to be? Have all the smaller nations diluted it?

Here is the England team from the 2004 World Cup. To me, it looks a far better team than last nights, but it disappointed all the time.

James

Neville Terry Campbell Cole

Beckham Gerrard Lampard Scholes

Rooney Owen

• Like 1