Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Rob Newman

I found a 92/93 database for Football Manager. I dont normally play as Norwich other than when Im first getting a feel for the game, but Im really enjoying the novelty of being in charge of this team.

My question is about Rob Newman. This season was the season I started being a Norwich fan, so obviously I knew Newman as a fixture but probably not much about him. I tend to remember him as a player who, like Daryl Sutch could play in a number of positions.

What are your memories of Newman? What position do you tend to think of him in?

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I found a 92/92 database for Football Manager. I dont normally play as Norwich other than when Im first getting a feel for the game, but Im really enjoying the novelty of being in charge of this team.

My question is about Rob Newman. This season was the season I started being a Norwich fan, so obviously I knew Newman as a fixture but probably not much about him. I tend to remember him as a player who, like Daryl Sutch could play in a number of positions.

What are your memories of Newman? 

Totally needlessly bringing down a Peruvian winger who was going nowhere.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If that was Ruben Sosa, I think he was Uruguayan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I found a 92/92 database for Football Manager. I dont normally play as Norwich other than when Im first getting a feel for the game, but Im really enjoying the novelty of being in charge of this team.

In that game he could play right left and central and was he not defender and attacker?

Mind you I haven't looked at it for neigh on 30 years so I could be mistaken....

19 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

I found a 92/93 database for Football Manager. I dont normally play as Norwich other than when Im first getting a feel for the game, but Im really enjoying the novelty of being in charge of this team.

I reckon his position could be as our new DOF

I think of him more as a centre back or cdm but I do remember fondly his little run up front for us including a bullet header from quite far out against Shef Weds at home. 

57 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I knew I should have checked!

Without checking I think he scored the equaliser in the FA Cup when Soton ended up with nine men. 

29 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Did you know Gary Medel was named after Gary Lineker?

Dennis Bergkamp was supposedly named after Dennis Law.

I seem to have a memory of Newman scoring an incredible own goal...the sort that any striker would be pleased to convert from a cross.  It screamed into the back of the net past Gunn.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Dennis Bergkamp was supposedly named after Dennis Law.

And James Rodriguez was named after James bond (which is why his name should be an anglicised James, not a Latinised Hames)

17 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Did you know Gary Medel was named after Gary Lineker?

I heard that Costa Rican midfielder Yeltsin Tejeda was named after someone. 😉

5 minutes ago, NWC said:

Didn't Rob Newman have the hardest shot on record IIRC?

I'm sure I've read that somewhere as well.  Odd thing for us both to imagine !

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Bought as a midfielder but played most of his games in defence as well as a few up front. I think he even went in goal once. Not the most skilled of players but he gave it his all.

21 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Totally needlessly bringing down a Peruvian Uruguayan winger who was going nowhere.

That has left a scar on my brain to this day. I can still see it all so clearly in my mind. Newman sliding in like a complete loon; the most 100% nailed on penalty you are ever likely to see. Bah!

OTBC

22 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

...and So sa' all of us. 

10 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Bought as a midfielder but played most of his games in defence as well as a few up front. I think he even went in goal once. Not the most skilled of players but he gave it his all.

That has left a scar on my brain to this day. I can still see it all so clearly in my mind. Newman sliding in like a complete loon; the most 100% nailed on penalty you are ever likely to see. Bah!

OTBC

And crucial. If that game had ended 0-0 we  wouldn't have had to push hard for a goal in the second leg and so eventually leave ourselves open to counters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

And crucial. If that game had ended 0-0 we  wouldn't have had to push hard for a goal in the second leg and so eventually leave ourselves open to counters.

I know we've talked about this before, but it still rankles with me. Our inexperience of European competition really showed in that moment - such a missed opportunity. 0-0 at home, given how good that team was on the counter, would have been such a good result, but we thought we needed a win. Still frustrated 30 years later!

• Like 1

I remember him as a big bloke who had a good technique and footballing brain but lacked pace and never appeared to be in the best physical condition. Or should I say had a physical condition at odds with modern football.

I don’t remember him playing in midfield just at centre half and occasionally up front when we didn’t have a target man available.

Trying to think so a modern day equivalent but struggling. The closest I can get is to compare him to Iwan Roberts in terms of Newman was a centre back who is similar to what Iwan Roberts was as a striker. If Rob Newman had pace…..was something offered mentioned but like most Norwich players if Rob Newman did have pace he would never have played for Norwich.

My memories of Newman are that everyone thought he was a bit sh1t. But he has more PL appearances for NCFC than almost anyone else, iirc, and given that team was basically our best ever, logically that means he's one of our best ever players...

32 minutes ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

OTBC

Barry Davies' commentary in that moment was just so great - you can hear the frustration and disappointment in his voice. "Oh ... that's a penalty." In the pause you can just tell he's trying to find a reason to take issue with the decision, but he just can't.

I met him after a game once, I'd have been maybe 7... Only things I remember are very friendly, kind bloke and he was dripping with gold jewelry.

Record breakers did a thing on hardest shots. He was one....can't recall the others.... penalty at almost 90mph if my brain works?