GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Team and subs for Stoke (h)

..a bit in advance, but there should be a fair number of players returning . Wagner suggested that Sainz and Sorenson should be back after the break , aswell as Hernandez. Forshaw should be more up to speed, aswell as the two deadline signings

Although he deserved his chance yesterday, dont think Idah should start. Either Hwang should play a like-for-like Sargent role or we should bring in an orthodox midfielder.

Our bench should at least look a lot stronger, with players coming off the bench who could make a difference, rather than signifcantly weaken us

I'll go with...

Gunn

Stacey   Duffy   Gibson   Giannoulis

Sara(or Nunez)    McLean

Fassnacht                                 Rowe 

Hwang (or Sara)

Barnes

Subs..Long McCallum Baath Sorenson Forshaw Nunez(or Hwang) Sainz Hernandez Idah

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

"Although he deserved his chance yesterday, dont think Idah should start. Either Hwang should play a like-for-like Sargent role or we should bring in an orthodox midfielder."

Agree. Although he had a few moments, especially in the second half, I don't think Idah did enough and therefore emphasised the effect that the loss of Sargent had on the team's performance.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

"Although he deserved his chance yesterday, dont think Idah should start. Either Hwang should play a like-for-like Sargent role or we should bring in an orthodox midfielder."

Agree. Although he had a few moments, especially in the second half, I don't think Idah did enough and therefore emphasised the effect that the loss of Sargent had on the team's performance.

It is funny how when Idah scores one goal it's "IDAH HATERS UP YOURS YOU SUCK HES WORLD CLASS" then he goes back to not scoring and it's "He's just not good enough"

There seems to be no real middle ground with Idah does there?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

It is funny how when Idah scores one goal it's "IDAH HATERS UP YOURS YOU SUCK HES WORLD CLASS" then he goes back to not scoring and it's "He's just not good enough"

Not really. Idah is the lead scapegoat amongst those fans who pyschologically need a scapegoat. He is a far better player than they make out. No one says he is world class, just that he is better than this lot think. I would pretty much expect the same 11 will start at home to Stoke that started away to Rotherham. The bench will be stronger and we could see some minutes for the new faces in the second half.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

For me, its just that given our current setup , it could only work with both Barnes and Sargent's discipline in dropping deep and making up the midfeld numbers. Idah just isnt that. So unless Hwang can replicate the role that Sargent was able to, off the ball, we will simply concede the midfield.

If we're asking Barnes to play deep ALL game to allow for Idah, we're taking a lot away from what Barnes can offer up front....so you may aswell play a midfielder there

Idah (like Hernandez), is better suited off the bench anyway IMO.

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That's because TY only posts about Idah during the 3 games a season he actually plays well.

26 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I'm firmly in the middle for one. I'd love him to come good and assumed that a growth in confidence would realise this at last, but yesterday he hardly excelled. It wasn't just about not getting on the scoresheet either as he just didn't do enough. Read Connor Southwell's article from today's PinkUn online part of which I quote:

"During the game, Idah had only one touch in the opposition penalty area. No City player managed fewer touches of the ball than his 25 during his 77 minutes on the pitch. It was another display that lacked the edge that he will need to see off competition from Hwang."

P.S. Nobody "hates" the boy. 

Suspect idah will start and after a decent sub appearance yest I can not see a bench without gibbs.  Sainz forshaw and lungi will depend upon fitness, none to be ready is NY guess

16 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Maybe, but the OP thinks so little of Idah that he would select an orthodox midfielder instead!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

For me, its just that given our current setup , it could only work with both Barnes and Sargent's discipline in dropping deep and making up the midfeld numbers. Idah just isnt that. So unless Hwang can replicate the role that Sargent was able to, off the ball, we will simply concede the midfield.

If we're asking Barnes to play deep ALL game to allow for Idah, we're taking a lot away from what Barnes can offer up front....so you may aswell play a midfielder there

Idah (like Hernandez), is better suited off the bench anyway IMO.

Absolutely your last line, when Idah starts he rarely has an impact, from the bench he is useful enough.

22 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm firmly in the middle for one. I'd love him to come good and assumed that a growth in confidence would realise this at last, but yesterday he hardly excelled. It wasn't just about not getting on the scoresheet either as he just didn't do enough. Read Connor Southwell's article from today's PinkUn online part of which I quote:

"During the game, Idah had only one touch in the opposition penalty area. No City player managed fewer touches of the ball than his 25 during his 77 minutes on the pitch. It was another display that lacked the edge that he will need to see off competition from Hwang."

Southwell & Davitt also noted that the entire team were substantially below par.

It was Barnes' worst display since his arrival but I don't hear anyone suggesting that he be dropped.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NewNestCarrow said:

Maybe, but the OP thinks so little of Idah that he would select an orthodox midfielder instead!

Reasons have been given further down..

...and yes, for given reasons, I'd rather push Sara into a no.10 , role and bring in another midfielder (either Nunez or Forshaw, depending on the opposition), than play Idah and weaken our midfield , and use him off the bench

Of course any of this is irrelevent if our recruitment dept have done their job and identified someone who can replicate Sargent's role on/off the ball in Hwang

Idah clearly the scapegoat despite both Rotherham goals due to no pressure on the ball from goal scoring positions. I don't think our defence is all that quite honestly. I'd like to see Batth in asap.

I can't see Wagner making wholesale changes for Stoke, possibly one, but with a lot of change to the bench potentially. He'll give the players the chance to make amends. 

Mind you we usually pick up a training injuries during breaks so there'll be that to consider.

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Utterly pointless stat unless some context is given. Where does a striker normally rank amongst his team mates? How many touches did Pukki have in a game normally?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Team- Probably the same exact Batth and Hwang getting a go.

Bench- Goalkeepers and youth academy players is probably the best we can hope for

So no Nunez, Gibson/Batth, Sorenson, Hernandez, Forshaw on your bench then?

I'm not a massive fan, but I'd be inclined to start Idah, otherwise Wagner is essentially saying that after one below par performance (from the team as a whole as well) he has dropped behind a loan player in the reckoning during his chance to stake a real claim for a start in his actual position.

By all means tell him that we want to have a look at Hwang at some point in the game, but give him the start.  Otherwise we run the risk of denting his already evidently fragile confidence after a reasonable start which could have repercussions for his usefulness for the rest of the season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Gunn

Stacey Duffy Batth Gianoullis

Sara McClean

Fassnacht Barnes Rowe

Hwang

Subs: Long, Fisser, Gibson, Forshaw, Nunez, Gibbs, Placheta, Hernandez, Idah.

(Bit to early for Sainz).

Im not sure why you've dropped Gibson for Batth, as Gibson has been effective, but Batth is adequate cover. Otherwise I would agree with your suggestion. Im hoping Sainz can start getting minutes soon

Edited by jaberry2

Too early for Hwang surely - he needs a proper pre-season like Sainz etc. We'll go with the last starting line-up but let's hope they don't repeat that first half performance at Rovrum!

18 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Too early for Hwang surely - he needs a proper pre-season like Sainz etc. We'll go with the last starting line-up but let's hope they don't repeat that first half performance at Rovrum!

Hwang has had a pre season elsewhere, so should be fit. Providing he isnt too jaded from international duty I expect him to get minutes, but doubt he will start ahead of Idah at this stage. TBH I am not Idah's greatest fan, but he has been decent when called upon this season. For me in hindsight, he should of had a loan away from the club several seasons ago.

Now looks like Idah will play a substantial part of Eire's International matches following Ferguson's withdrawal. A change as good as a rest? 

50 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Now looks like Idah will play a substantial part of Eire's International matches following Ferguson's withdrawal. A change as good as a rest? 

All depends on if he scores! If he does great, should return with more confidence.

if it’s another 90 mins where he doesn’t score or really get involved or influence the game it will sadly be another reminder to him and us that he’s probably not good enough.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have thought Hwang has even met the players yet let alone trained with them, unless of course he joined up with them at Rotherham.

Bench I would have thought.

South Korea are actually playing in Wales and Newcastle so Wagner can pop along and have a look.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

I wouldn't have thought Hwang has even met the players yet let alone trained with them, unless of course he joined up with them at Rotherham.

Bench I would have thought.

South Korea are actually playing in Wales and Newcastle so Wagner can pop along and have a look.

No he isnt joining until after the international break.

Idah has to start and be given a run of games, with Sargent out until the New Year this is the ideal opportunity for him to stake a claim for a starting place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Massive downgrade for Ireland. Ferguson banging them in the Premiership to Idah. 

49 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

Idah has to start and be given a run of games, with Sargent out until the New Year this is the ideal opportunity for him to stake a claim for a starting place.

Even if Hwang has been profiled as being able to do a similar job to Sargent?....because Idah isnt that

• Like 1

If Hwang is not ready to start then in my view we need to bite the bullet, push Barnes forward and okay Nunez or Gibbs in a 4-2-3-1.

As others have said it’s not like Idah has done a great deal wrong but he does not have the work rate or mobility of Sargent which is key to our game and at times makes up for us being outnumbered in midfield. You could see at Rotherham that we just did not have the same outlet as we’ve had in previous games.

• Like 1