26 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

But he did get prison time, and rightly so in my opinionĀ 

I'd have lost the bet then.

Just seen that he got 12 months so let's see now what the club does next.

How long has his contract left to run?

I do always wonder in all these cases if things would be different if it was a key player. Say Gabriel Sara had done thisā€¦ had 3 years left on his deal, can you really see the club just rip up his contract?

On 13/08/2023 at 23:10, chicken said:

Not only that, pleading guilty doesn't mean guilt on all counts. I've worked with people who have pled guilty because their solicitor advised them doing otherwise was unlikey to get a better result.

In one instance I was a witness to their innocense and was willing to stand in court but the solicitor felt it was too pricarious as it'd be my word vs the other party, with one other witness backing them up.

A trial may have gotten to the truth but the risk was a much more severe consequence. Community service Vs prison.

Or he could of pleaded guilty to reduce the sentence because he didn't have a chance of proving he wasn't, in some casesĀ .Ā  Personally I think pleading guilty for a lesser sentence stinks , it doesn't show remorse it just gets you off more lightly. I have seen a person and company fight tooth and nail in a coroners Court and not get the innocent verdict they wanted,but then go to crown court and plead guilty forĀ a lesser sentence because they didn't have a hope. That's not remorse and not fair on the victims. Not really football related though.Ā 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2023 at 13:25, Terminally Yellow said:

1. He's not been found guilty - he's admitted and pleaded guilty to an offence of driving dangerously causing serious injury. That's a big difference given he'll be due credit for the guilty plea.

2. The offence of driving dangerously causing serious injury is different to careless driving causing serious injury. There is no reckless driving causing serious injury charge in the UK.Ā 

3. Irrespective of what a person does, I believe in second chances. If he - or Greenwood or any person - shows a willingness to change and remorse for what they have done (as Clarke has done through his guilty plea) then it should become a matter for the courts and then a matter for the club what happens next.Ā 

He shouldn't be due any creditĀ Ā for pleading guilty, but that's the law unfortunatelyĀ 

On 14/08/2023 at 08:28, DraytonBoy said:

If you look at the offence he's pleaded guilty to and the Crown Court sentencing tariffs for that offence he could get anything from six months to five years before aĀ guilty plea, remorse and actualĀ injuriesĀ areĀ taken into account. A suspended sentence and a long driving ban would be a good result.Ā 

A good result for who ? Should be at least beĀ  6 months in prison to actually think about what he done and the consequences of his actions.Ā Ā 

On 14/08/2023 at 09:58, BSEYELLOW said:

Rape and assault are not equal to dangerous driving and accidental harm caused by it.Ā  Neither should be accepted and forgotten without repercussions, but its obvious why there isnt the same outcry regarding both situations.Ā  One is poor judgment and one is a deliberate choice to harm another person is despicable ways.

Something learnt on building sites , no such thing as an accident. As soon as he started breaking the law surely the word accident comes out of the argument.Ā 

On 15/08/2023 at 11:36, Ward 3 said:

Everyone makes mistakes and deserve a second chance, within reason. I dont agree with that aspect on rapists, or abusers, but car accidents, they can happen any time anywhere, doesn't always have to be to do with the driver.

I stand by the lad.

He has admitted that he's guiltyĀ 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sufyellow said:

A good result for who ? Should be at least beĀ  6 months in prison to actually think about what he done and the consequences of his actions.Ā Ā 

He's had over a year to think about what he's done and the impact it's had on those that he injured let alone the effect it could have on his football career.Ā 

16 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Personaly I would terminate his contract,Ā  sets a really bad example to keep him. Not just the accident but obviously how he was conducting himself around others,Ā  taking substances.Ā 

5 minutes ago, DraytonBoy said:

He's had over a year to think about what he's done and the impact it's had on those that he injured let alone the effect it could have on his football career.Ā 

And now he has got the punishment that goes with it. He can reflect on what happens when you break the law in the way he did.Ā 

Just get rid.

You get a second chance for being late for training, not breaking the law and putting peopleā€™s lives at risk.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

On 15/08/2023 at 14:36, Ward 3 said:

Everyone makes mistakes and deserve a second chance, within reason. I dont agree with that aspect on rapists, or abusers, but car accidents, they can happen any time anywhere, doesn't always have to be to do with the driver.

I stand by the lad.

Still stand by him even though he was high on laughing gas when he did this? Not an accident then at all really was it, an act of stupidity which changed peoples livesĀ 

• Like 1

Having seen the pictures of the crash, I fail to see how anybody can defend him or say he deserves a second chance, as some stated earlier on this threadĀ 

11 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Having seen the pictures of the crash, I fail to see how anybody can defend him or say he deserves a second chance, as some stated earlier on this threadĀ 

The problem is, until the trial is completely over and sentence passed the public don't get to know the full story so can only judge things on what's allowed to beĀ reported in the media. Clearly the injuries following the crash were severe and I think that is why he got a jail term.

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

I read this morning somewhere that after the crash laughing gas canisters were found in the car and witnesses stated it had been weaving around in the road just prior to the head on impact.

Clarke and the occupants of his car were on their way to a Rave so i am sure the dots can be joined with regard to the laughing gas.

Edited by TIL 1010

Reading reports suggest the most seriously injured were in the back seat of Clarke's car and the driver of the motorhome.Ā 

The insurance companies most definitely will be getting into the detail of this. Suggests there will be much contributory negligence at play here.

I would be amazed and extremely disappointed if we don't sack him.

Would it be better if the club had a code of conduct for players and all staff for that matter. I would be quite surprised if there wasnā€™t already one for the younger academy players.

It sets out what is and isnā€™t acceptable and Ā what happens if it is breached. This case being discussed would lead to contract termination. This way there is actually a procedure for this sort of thing rather than letā€™s make it up as we go along.

39 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Would it be better if the club had a code of conduct for players and all staff for that matter. I would be quite surprised if there wasnā€™t already one for the younger academy players.

I'd be astonished if there wasn't one for all players and staff already. The news article linked on p1 of this thread quotes the club as saying:

"Following the decision, the club will consider the matter internally in accordance with its own disciplinary procedure."

So presumably they do have some kind of code to follow within that procedure.

54 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

It sets out what is and isnā€™t acceptable and Ā what happens if it is breached. This case being discussed would lead to contract termination. This way there is actually a procedure for this sort of thing rather than letā€™s make it up as we go along.

Surely they won't be paying him when inside regardless of his contract?

Beyond that would they take a different view if they assess his potential as Dagenham level rather than Arsenal level?

Whilst football doubtless helps many youngsters keep on the straight and narrow with the rewards on offer it may also do the exact opposite hence why that Code of Conduct is important both for the players and the public.

• Sad 1

On 19/09/2023 at 10:15, TIL 1010 said:

I read this morning somewhere that after the crash laughing gas canisters were found in the car and witnesses stated it had been weaving around in the road just prior to the head on impact.

Clarke and the occupants of his car were on their way to a Rave so i am sure the dots can be joined with regard to the laughing gas.

i imagine as a professional footballer he might know it does not show up like other drugs with drugs tests by FA and Football clubsĀ Ā etcĀ 

Crazy to get behind the wheel with any substance and should be sacked no questionĀ 

On 16/09/2023 at 12:27, TheBaldOne66 said:

Still stand by him even though he was high on laughing gas when he did this? Not an accident then at all really was it, an act of stupidity which changed peoples livesĀ 

No I hadn't seen he was high when it happened.. not a good look at all

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Like how they've left the reg plate visible for his car but not the motorhome. Reg no belongs to a BMW 218 M Sport.Ā 

It says so in the article ???

The midfielder, who was signed by the Canaries from Peterborough United in 2021, was driving a black BMW 218i on the A47, near Thorney, on April 30 last year when it crashed into a Fiat Ducato Motorhome.

52 minutes ago, Wibble said:

It says so in the article ???

The midfielder, who was signed by the Canaries from Peterborough United in 2021, was driving a black BMW 218i on the A47, near Thorney, on April 30 last year when it crashed into a Fiat Ducato Motorhome.

**** person, **** player, **** car.

Get rid.

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Like how they've left the reg plate visible for his car but not the motorhome. Reg no belongs to a BMW 218 M Sport.Ā 

I'm amazed that the insurance company didn't write it off

On 19/09/2023 at 13:48, Capt. Pants said:

Reading reports suggest the most seriously injured were in the back seat of Clarke's car and the driver of the motorhome.Ā 

The insurance companies most definitely will be getting into the detail of this. Suggests there will be much contributory negligence at play here.

I would be amazed and extremely disappointed if we don't sack him.

I think he must be sacked. That stretch of the A47 is notorious for accidents. Several people were badly hurt and itā€™s a miracle no one was killed. The nitrous oxide that was probably being passed around the car doesnā€™t exactly help his case either.

Ā 

2 hours ago, NewNestCarrow said:

I'm amazed that the insurance company didn't write it off

Both look write offs. There'll be personal injury claims from all injured parties against Clarke that will likely dwarf the value of the cars, which of course his insurer will cover.

One fact of the matter is that he may not have deliberately inhaled Nitrous Oxide. Only one person in a closed system liberating the gas could release sufficient to intoxicate every person within that space. A Canadian (?) winter olympian lost his silver medal because he went dancing in a club where cannabis was being smoked freely.