Sign in to follow this  
Captain Holt

New Sporting Director

9 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Can’t imagine any EPL club wanting to sack their recruitment manager this close to the end of the transfer window. 

Maybe it'll happen at the end of the window, then. As has been said elsewhere, still need to sort the exit strategy for Webber at this end too. My Hammers-supporting mate says that Moyes is in the last year of his contract, and Stiedten has basically been brought in to try and instil a move towards a more expansive style of football. Newman is loyal to Moyes, but Stiedten is technically senior to both (a la Webber/Farke)... my friend is pretty sure that Sullivan will have no hesitation in throwing Moyes under the bus if they don't start the season well. Stiedten represents the future, and Moyes the past. Of course, if Newman wants to jump ship before Sullivan pulls the trigger, that may just hasten the changing of the guard...

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Maybe it'll happen at the end of the window, then.

Wasn't Webber quoted after that January window when he was up a mountain in Chile that a Sporting Director's work for the transfer window is all done and dusted well in advance and so his presence during it isn't really required? Or was he just bull****ting us all again?

MY WH supporting mate says his recruitment strategy has been very poor but is not sure how much of that is caused by the owner and Moyes

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

Wasn't Webber quoted after that January window when he was up a mountain in Chile that a Sporting Director's work for the transfer window is all done and dusted well in advance and so his presence during it isn't really required? Or was he just bull****ting us all again?

Did he actually say that? Not that a lot of it is done in advance? Presumably he just means that the identification of targets is done before the window opens, and then the pursuit of people on the 'long list' just evolves as the window gathers pace. The point stands, though, that bringing in a new SD during the window would no doubt lead to those priorities changing as the new man looks to make his mark in a limited timeframe.

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

Did he actually say that? Not that a lot of it is done in advance? Presumably he just means that the identification of targets is done before the window opens, and then the pursuit of people on the 'long list' just evolves as the window gathers pace. The point stands, though, that bringing in a new SD during the window would no doubt lead to those priorities changing as the new man looks to make his mark in a limited timeframe.

I remember he said this in interviews after that window, to defend his absence when he was questioned about the timing of his trip to Chile. He also added all he needed was a good signal for his mobile phone if anything required his authorisation, which most on here smelled as **** - a mobile signal on a mountain being used as preparation for an assault on Everest!

1 minute ago, shefcanary said:

I remember he said this in interviews after that window, to defend his absence when he was questioned about the timing of his trip to Chile. He also added all he needed was a good signal for his mobile phone if anything required his authorisation, which most on here smelled as **** - a mobile signal on a mountain being used as preparation for an assault on Everest!

He was in a hotel at base camp IIRC. Anyway, I think we're all kind of glad that the Webber-mountaineering-90%-bedsheetgate era is drawing to a close...

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

He was in a hotel at base camp IIRC. Anyway, I think we're all kind of glad that the Webber-mountaineering-90%-bedsheetgate era is drawing to a close...

Not all the time, especially when he was on top of the mountain, as he released on his social media feed at the end of that window! But yes, his time is nigh ...

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Yep.. onto the next willing scapego… victi… sporting director! (Got there in the end!)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Danke bitte said:

Yep.. onto the next willing scapego… victi… sporting director! (Got there in the end!)

Newman out. No hambition.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

he released on his social media feed at the end of that window!

Caused quite a splash too, I heard.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Well if goals are in short supply we could always stick Rob up front, seeing as how it worked so well last time...(poster shudders at the memory).

Oh, come on. That goal he scored away against Blackburn was pure class.

We would have won too, had it not been for the seven goals we conceded.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Happy if this appointment is true. Still a shame to lose Webber though.

A Shame to lose Webber!!! Let’s see what massive club employ him after Norwich. 

So, if this is true, then the new man is... Newman.

(I'll get my coat).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

Scored a belter in the FA Cup replay against Southampton (think that was the game), real poachers strike.....one of around six sold in a fire sale by Bristol City to stop them going under, think he was one of our most expensive signings at the time, around £600,000. A Bristol City midfielder is now being quoted at £20 to£25 million!

8 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There’s no club bigger than his ego, that’s for sure 

15 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

No to mention he also signed two players whilst out there including photos at the club we secured a link up with in addition to that.

9 hours ago, Pyro Pete said:

And the header at home v Shef Weds 

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

It will probably be a team on par with the level we are at 

9 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Some on wrath of the Barclay saying Rob Newman was in the directors box yesterday..

Yes I can confirm Rob Newman was in the Directors Box....So was Wes and his family which was nice to see....

Following Webber with Newman would certainly be a shift in strategy, from the outside looking at least. His role at West Ham is to work the deals for the players that Moyes wants, that's quite the shift from the way we've done our business since 2017. Webber's brief here was about as wide as any sporting director in the country, I wouldn't be against splitting the role up but I'm not sure there's much to suggest that Newman is actually leading a recruitment team who work on scouting and identifying players. 

5 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

Yes I can confirm Rob Newman was in the Directors Box....So was Wes and his family which was nice to see....

Newman was also in the Gunn club after the game with Jeremy Goss

7 hours ago, repman said:

Following Webber with Newman would certainly be a shift in strategy, from the outside looking at least. His role at West Ham is to work the deals for the players that Moyes wants, that's quite the shift from the way we've done our business since 2017. Webber's brief here was about as wide as any sporting director in the country, I wouldn't be against splitting the role up but I'm not sure there's much to suggest that Newman is actually leading a recruitment team who work on scouting and identifying players. 

He was scout for Man City before, though, wasn't he? 

In a transfer window where West Ham United are keen to make more additions to the team, it is the off-field appointment of Rob Newman as head of recruitment that could prove most important.

The Athletic can reveal Newman will begin his new role in late September. The 57-year-old, who has been placed on gardening leave by Manchester City, joined the reigning Premier League champions in 2008 and worked as an international scouting and recruitment manager. Previously, he managed Southend United and Cambridge United, and was then assistant manager at Bournemouth.

Newman was involved with first-team recruitment at the Etihad Stadium and worked alongside Txiki Begiristain, James Smith, Brian Marwood and Gary Worthington, all of whom are key figures in City’s extensive scouting department.

He also worked with the analytics team, and was assigned to scout young talent in Spain and France and is fluent in both languages. The former defender, who made almost 250 appearances for Norwich City in the 1990s, had some involvement in the signings of Brahim Diaz, Angelino and Pablo Maffeo between 2013-15.

During that timespan, the City Football Group wanted to bring in top talents from Europe to increase the level of competition in the academy. Newman played a key role in this and is also understood to have been involved in recruiting Aymeric Laporte from Athletic Bilbao in 2018.

Diaz, Angelino and Maffeo were signed for a combined fee of £200,000 and subsequently sold for a grand total of around £40 million to Real Madrid, PSV Eindhoven and Stuttgart respectively. West Ham manager David Moyes has stated on numerous occasions he wants to sign young players who have resale value. Newman’s impending arrival will enable the Scotsman to achieve this.

When it comes to scouting full-backs, Newman is keen for them to be big, strong and quick. For midfielders, they need to have good technique, passing ability and a tactical brain.

At City, Newman was known for being a hard worker, active, with a bulging contacts book, popular among the scouts and a people person.

This will be great news for Moyes, given the camaraderie with his backroom staff and the squad. Also, the two men were team-mates at Bristol City in the 1980s.

“Rob was really good with young players and approachable,” says Josh Simpson, who played under Newman at Cambridge. “He made us all feel welcome and was really good at telling us how we could improve our game. He brought a lot of young players to the club but he wasn’t given enough time. I can see why he went on to become a scout because he’s great at identifying talent.”

Most importantly, Newman joining West Ham will help take the pressure off Moyes and co-owner David Sullivan.

Over the past 19 months, the signings of Jarrod Bowen, Tomas Soucek, Vladimir Coufal and Said Benrahma show the club is heading in a positive direction. Yet prior to Moyes returning for a second spell in charge in December 2019, West Ham were often very reliant on agents’ recommendations, with Sullivan effectively acting as their director of football.

“I want to get us a state-of-the-art recruitment department for the future which we can look to use,” Moyes said shortly before the last winter transfer window. “We are undoubtedly behind, I would argue, probably every other club in that area. But it’s something I will fix, it’s something I want to get in place better.”

The appointment of Newman is a step in the right direction and The Athletic understands he will focus on identifying talent already in the UK. Moyes is also keen to develop a younger department packed with analysts. The long-term plan is for the club to build a European scouting system. In previous spells as manager of Preston North End, Everton and Manchester United, it was Robbie Cooke who worked alongside Moyes in senior recruitment roles.

But a quick look at West Ham’s recent history will tell you they have had a poor record with the director of football role.

Gianluca Nani worked under Gianfranco Zola and then Alan Curbishley between 2008-10 and was responsible for the signings of Savio Nsereko, Valon Behrami, Diego Tristan, Herita Ilunga, David Di Michele and Alessandro Diamanti.

Mario Husillos, who worked under Moyes’ successor (and predecessor!) Manuel Pellegrini, had also not previously worked in English football but had some involvement in the arrivals of Jack Wilshere, Sebastien Haller, Lucas Perez, Pablo Fornals, Goncalo Cardoso, Samir Nasri, Ryan Fredericks, Albian Ajeti, Roberto, David Martin, Felipe Anderson, Andriy Yarmolenko, Xande Silva, Fabian Balbuena and Carlos Sanchez.

Of the 15 players signed between 2018-19, five remain at the club, with Fornals the only first-team regular.

Having splurged £170 million on players, which yielded mixed results, Sullivan said: “Under the previous regime, the only two players I picked were (Issa) Diop and (Lukasz) Fabianski; I bullied the manager to take them because I liked both players.

“All the other players him and his director of football picked.

“I regret, in a way, not stopping some of the signings, because you have to back the manager. The fans were on my back to have a director of football, a big-name manager. We did what the fans wanted. It didn’t work.”

Newman has a proven track record and it is an added bonus that he was one of City’s key scouts in Europe.

Lessons have been learned from Pellegrini’s year and a half in charge and one of the reasons why Alphonse Areola, the goalkeeper signed on loan from Paris Saint-Germain after spending last season in the Premier League with Fulham, has been the only summer arrival for the first team is down to the emphasis on bringing in the right personnel.

Newman’s arrival will allow him and Moyes to plan ahead for the January window.

Head of recruitment is a position the manager has been keen to address for quite some time.

The signing of Newman could prove to be the club’s most astute yet.

Article on the Athletic which I thought was interesting. 

• Thanks 1

On 06/08/2023 at 21:04, Billyboybunters said:

They breezed past me on their way to the Gunn Club....Darren Eadie was also with them.....so there.....

'Breezed past' meaning 'get out of the way we're on a mission'....but I felt somewhat humbled....

• Haha 1

On 06/08/2023 at 21:04, Billyboybunters said:

It seems very odd for this to be such a public outing. Is he a regular attendee does any one know?

If not, then surely it must be almost done or we wouldn't publicly show his attendance at the game?

3 minutes ago, rock bus said:

It seems very odd for this to be such a public outing. Is he a regular attendee does any one know?

If not, then surely it must be almost done or we wouldn't publicly show his attendance at the game?

West Ham had a friendly in Germany that day. Newman's absence from that is odd given his role. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation that everyone can dismiss out of hand straight away. 🙂