Sign in to follow this  
Worthy Nigelton

Blind Optimism?

As the season nears I'm starting to feel we might do well. I looked at our squad on Wikipedia yesterday and we've got better players than we think. The added experience and toughness signed in the summer might be enough to get us going. Sara and Nunez being settled in means they will both be better/more consistent. Sarge will play as a no.9 week in week out. The GK situation is settled. 

My only worry is the lack of a CDM.

OTBC.

Hope you’re right but I fear it is indeed blind optimism. As it was for many fans last summer.

Ben Gibson is a poor defender, Kenny McClean watches the game pass him by. No CDM. We are really weak at left back. Our left wing options are the same failed ones as in recent seasons (unless Sainz comes good after injury). We have a worse starting no9 than many years of our history. We have no creative no10. Our striking options off the bench are even weaker. Our manager won 1 in the last 11 with many of the same side. 

Really can’t see us challenging seriously for top 6. 

But I really do hope it somehow clicks. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

As the season nears I'm starting to feel we might do well. I looked at our squad on Wikipedia yesterday and we've got better players than we think. The added experience and toughness signed in the summer might be enough to get us going. Sara and Nunez being settled in means they will both be better/more consistent. Sarge will play as a no.9 week in week out. The GK situation is settled. 

My only worry is the lack of a CDM.

OTBC.

I still say we need about 4 players to add the quality and depth needed to compete at the right end of the table. If certain players leave we will need to replace them with quality additions who can hit the ground running. I still feel we have lack of depth in key areas.

Please can we stop talking about a CDM.

4 minutes ago, Bert said:

No we are in a relegation struggle this season I am afraid 

That sounds very conclusive...

Our squad looks a bit thin. Most people picked the same team to play against Hull which suggests our best XI picks itself, well at least in terms of playing Wagnerball.

Maybe it will become apparent when the real games start and we see how Wagner's substitutions can change games, we appear to have a lack options. I'm not convinced Idah, Nunez and Rowe/Hernandez are game changers.

We shall see. Hopefully all will become apparent.

• Like 1

I'm finding it had to be positive about the prospects for this season, it just feels as if we are on a bit of a downer, after the Smith debacle and then Wagner's bad run at the end of last season. Things can change and anything can happen, but I don't see where the inspiration is going to come from.

We need lots of things to go right - Sargent to find his goal touch - Idah to get his game to click into place - Fassnacht to hit the ground running - Nunez to find some form - Sara to be 100% at it every game - Mclean to be on his best form - Duffy to be an inspiration - Gibson to become the player he can be - etc etc - but I suppose the real question is how to escape the rut that we seem to have got ourselves into in the last two seasons - and that is where Wagner comes in - has he got the depth of character to turn it round?  We'll see, but I'm not wildly optimistic. 

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Our squad looks a bit thin. Most people picked the same team to play against Hull which suggests our best XI picks itself, well at least in terms of playing Wagnerball.

Maybe it will become apparent when the real games start and we see how Wagner's substitutions can change games, we appear to have a lack options. I'm not convinced Idah, Nunez and Rowe/Hernandez are game changers.

I think Rowe will become a valuable asset this season when fully match fit. Onel I dont have that much time other than a super sub, but even then he still lacks end product. Idah im unconvinced by and hasnt really added anything to change my mind in pre season. We need to figure out what Nunez's best position and stick to it.

• Like 1

I think we could see a similar season to Preston of last.  Low number of goals early on, wasnt there like 3 goals total in their first 6 games?

We look solid at the back, but a little lacking in creativity through pre-season. I expect that keeping it tight after so many seasons of being porous as a stocking will be seen as progress.  If you dont concede, you cant lose etc.  Then hopefully that takes some pressure off the attacking quartet, which may see us start to flow a bit more and create chances.

A more mobile, pacy striker as an option might be a good idea before the window closes, thought Idah and Sarge are not slow.  BUt if we are essentially playing 2 strikers, we really should have 4 options in the squad, regardless of peoples thoughts on Idah, he is currently one of those.  Fassnacht can come inside it appears and play as a striker in a pinch, but a 4th genuine option i think will come in.

• Like 1

I would make some random musings

According to the general consensus we were awful for the whole of last season when reality it was only for the last 7,8 games when we had an injury crisis. I feel without the pressure of two championship wins in the last 2 seasons at this level we would have made the playoffs.

I agreed that a lot depends on a few players stepping up and gaining more consistency in their performances. Nunez, Idah, placheta, Hernandez, both the left backs, Gibbs and even Tzolis and don’t laugh when I say this are more than capable of influencing games in the championship. The issue is doing it on a regular basis. For example at the start of last season Sargent stock was lower than Idah now but he turned it around it’s not impossible.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

I would make some random musings

According to the general consensus we were awful for the whole of last season when reality it was only for the last 7,8 games when we had an injury crisis. I feel without the pressure of two championship wins in the last 2 seasons at this level we would have made the playoffs.

I agreed that a lot depends on a few players stepping up and gaining more consistency in their performances. Nunez, Idah, placheta, Hernandez, both the left backs, Gibbs and even Tzolis and don’t laugh when I say this are more than capable of influencing games in the championship. The issue is doing it on a regular basis. For example at the start of last season Sargent stock was lower than Idah now but he turned it around it’s not impossible.

We won 1 in the last 11 and had played some really poor football prior to that too. Wagner showed why his resume has such long losing runs on it - totally incapable of changing things - albeit the squad was threadbare due to the fact Webber has wasted much of the budget on dross, plus injuries. 

Look to this season and the starting 11 still has the same weaknesses and we have very little decent competition for starting places in many positions. 

• Like 1

I think the summer signings so far have been good additions. Its such a shame Sainz is injured, as on paper he looked the most talented and exciting player out of the lot.

I think we'll see further additions to add depth and quality as and when some outgoings happen. I think they'll be happy with what they have at their disposal for the first couple of games but its quite obvious we need more quality in certain positions.

4 minutes ago, S_81 said:

We won 1 in the last 11 and had played some really poor football prior to that too. Wagner showed why his resume has such long losing runs on it - totally incapable of changing things - albeit the squad was threadbare due to the fact Webber has wasted much of the budget on dross, plus injuries. 

Look to this season and the starting 11 still has the same weaknesses and we have very little decent competition for starting places in many positions. 

Still on the fence about next season then…..My big unknown this season is what the narrative is. Last season or at least the first half it was clear that winning alone was not enough. Although what was clear we were expected to win every game with a certain style. What is the expectation this season from the fans and how does that influence the narrative? 

If there is ever a time for blind optimism it is in July, before a ball is kicked. Right now anything is possible. It might be that Barnes, Duffy and Stacey are exactly what we need, Sargent becomes a 20 goal a season striker, Sainz adds spark when fit, Gibbs & Nunez kick on and become key starters. 

Why not believe at this point? Much more fun than mopeing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jaberry2 said:

I still say we need about 4 players to add the quality and depth needed to compete at the right end of the table. If certain players leave we will need to replace them with quality additions who can hit the ground running. I still feel we have lack of depth in key areas.

Please can we stop talking about a CDM.

The CDM issue will not go away. Its ridiculous that it has'nt been addressed.and we will continue to concede goals because of it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Still on the fence about next season then…..My big unknown this season is what the narrative is. Last season or at least the first half it was clear that winning alone was not enough. Although what was clear we were expected to win every game with a certain style. What is the expectation this season from the fans and how does that influence the narrative? 

I see this season as about being more tough to beat - keeping us in this league whilst we appoint Webber’s replacement and possibly a new manager. 

I don’t see us mounting a promotion challenge. But I’d love to be proved wrong 

Just now, mannings bandy legs said:

The CDM issue will not go away. Its ridiculous that it has'nt been addressed.and we will continue to concede goals because of it.

I think its quite obvious really, we aren't playing a system like previously where a CDM is needed. Hence why we arent recruiting one. People are banging on about a CDM when they were needed in previous systems before, for sure, but now the need isnt there.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BSEYELLOW said:

I think we could see a similar season to Preston of last.  Low number of goals early on, wasnt there like 3 goals total in their first 6 games?

We look solid at the back, but a little lacking in creativity through pre-season. I expect that keeping it tight after so many seasons of being porous as a stocking will be seen as progress.  If you dont concede, you cant lose etc.  Then hopefully that takes some pressure off the attacking quartet, which may see us start to flow a bit more and create chances.

A more mobile, pacy striker as an option might be a good idea before the window closes, thought Idah and Sarge are not slow.  BUt if we are essentially playing 2 strikers, we really should have 4 options in the squad, regardless of peoples thoughts on Idah, he is currently one of those.  Fassnacht can come inside it appears and play as a striker in a pinch, but a 4th genuine option i think will come in.

Yeah I was going to add that if we are a 2 striker team then we could do with another.

I'm not totally convinced we are but are finding a system so that Barnes and Sargent can both start. Maybe Nunez can play just off the front player but he's so lightweight and Tzolis who was also pencilled in seems to have failed the audition.

We need to fly out of the traps and put the mindset from last season behind us, a good start is therefore crucial and momentum will build- a  poor start and I think things will go south very quickly. 

The other issue is depth. We have a fairly decent starting 11 but a couple of injuries will see us done for. There is poor quality outside the 11 - especially up front 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, king canary said:

If there is ever a time for blind optimism it is in July, before a ball is kicked. Right now anything is possible. It might be that Barnes, Duffy and Stacey are exactly what we need, Sargent becomes a 20 goal a season striker, Sainz adds spark when fit, Gibbs & Nunez kick on and become key starters. 

Why not believe at this point? Much more fun than mopeing.

Yes at this time you have to be optimistic unless proven otherwise. We've had a decent pre season and are playing a team which should easily beat at home (in theory) in Hull. I reckon a further 3 quality signings and a good start we'll stand a chance.

13 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

I think its quite obvious really, we aren't playing a system like previously where a CDM is needed. Hence why we arent recruiting one. People are banging on about a CDM when they were needed in previous systems before, for sure, but now the need isnt there.

Yeah, this essentially. 

Now there is a chance the system doesn't work and if so that's on Wagner and Webber. But it seems the lack of a defensive midfielder is a conscious choice rather than just a lack of a signing. 

Bar a couple of positions I don't think our second string is as weak as some are making out. A lot will come down to how well drilled/coached they are and how we they slot into the tactical system when called upon. 

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

This is exactly what I thought when I saw people's team selection yesterday. There is only one position that isn't nailed on being on the left. And I suppose we have a choice between 2 very average left backs. That's a bit worrying 

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah, this essentially. 

Now there is a chance the system doesn't work and if so that's on Wagner and Webber. But it seems the lack of a defensive midfielder is a conscious choice rather than just a lack of a signing. 

None of it worked last 11 games of the season, that’s for sure 

2 minutes ago, S_81 said:

None of it worked last 11 games of the season, that’s for sure 

Not surprising when you lose your best players to injury.

• Like 2

Just now, hogesar said:

Not surprising when you lose your best players to injury.

Would be helped by better squad depth. We still don’t have it. So much the same this year beckons. Unless we get lucky with injuries. Or improve the depth before the window closes 

• Like 1

I think some on here are only happy when they are miserable!

There are some reasons to be optimistic apparent defensive solidarity being a major one and the addition of some "steel" to the core of the team. I agree with those that suggest a good start + avoiding injuries is important, but that applies to all teams.

Hoping a few of the "miserabilists"  have followed the lead of that journalist who has given up his season ticket as a protest against the fact that we were not brilliantly successful last year - it can only help to have a less negative atmosphere at matches (hence the need for a good start).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S_81 said:

Hope you’re right but I fear it is indeed blind optimism. As it was for many fans last summer.

Ben Gibson is a poor defender, Kenny McClean watches the game pass him by. No CDM. We are really weak at left back. Our left wing options are the same failed ones as in recent seasons (unless Sainz comes good after injury). We have a worse starting no9 than many years of our history. We have no creative no10. Our striking options off the bench are even weaker. Our manager won 1 in the last 11 with many of the same side. 

Really can’t see us challenging seriously for top 6. 

But I really do hope it somehow clicks. 

'We have a worse starting no 9 than many years'

Worse than Drmic? Or Srebny? Although I did always have a soft spot for Srebny..