Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

*Semi official friendly match thread Canaries V Red-Whites*

1 minute ago, Samwam27 said:

What do.fans want. This year looks.like.Wagner is setting us up.to be more solid, hard to beat, but not exciting.

Last year we were weak and folded every game. Maybe we need to give Wagner time, build.a solid platform and develop it as time.goes on with better players

Allardyce at Bolton. Textbook. Dour in the first season or two in the top flight then the likes of Okocha, Djorkaeff, Stelios, Anelka, etc came in. That later Bolton side could play, but the media at the time just couldn't stand the fact that they could and just lazily labelled them "long ball" based on earlier incarnations.

Even under Farke, the sparkling play still couldn't disguise an underlying fragility. Wagner's clearly decided "right, we need more experience and positional discipline combined with more physicality as the Champs is a draining, arduous league".

• Like 1

Yeah, there's definitely reasons to be positive. I don't feel like this is a side that will capitulate to anyone. Which is far better than the latter half of last season where I felt we would capitulate to everyone.

If this team were a car, it would be a Ford Focus. Nothing wrong with the Focus. But no one is ever going to see it drive past and go "oooh". 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

What do.fans want. This year looks.like.Wagner is setting us up.to be more solid, hard to beat, but not exciting.

Last year we were weak and folded every game. Maybe we need to give Wagner time, build.a solid platform and develop it as time.goes on with better players

Still look stressed at the back when against a high press, nothing had changed in that respect 

The goal was a fluke, but I think we deserved it overall. We have pressed very well (so have Olympiacos to be fair). So far I'd say this is the best performance I've seen from us for a long time in terms of structure and focus. Although we wobbled a bit in the last five minutes - who made the mistake on about 40 mins, I couldn't see?

We haven't been scintillating but you don't need much creativity if you're solid. Sara has made a hell of a difference for me - we've gone from stodgy to looking like we might score with just the touch of creativity that he offers.

It's not inspiring but this has looked good enough for play-off territory IMO.

Just now, Helsinki canary said:

Still look stressed at the back when against a high press, nothing had changed in that respect 

Most back lines are stressed against a high press to be fair, hence why we're playing one too. We certainly need to get a better feeling for when we should just launch it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Deflection into awful goalkeeping🤣

It was not particularly bad keeping. For a shot from that far out normally the keeper would be close to the edge of the six-yard box, so even with the deflection he would have had a chance of stopping it.

But because there had been a goalmouth scramble he had been forced right back onto the goal-line, and then didn't have the time to get forward.

18 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

Agree with this. Football fans forever fickle.

I guess Farke spoiled this club with his display of football in the Championship, now a section of the fanbase demands more of that high and won't accept the Wagner medicine.

I have been watching and quite frankly I cant think of anything particularly positive about any of the players or performance apart from the fact that they are a very obvious 442 out of possession and Duffy and Gunn made two of the most disgraceful passes trying to play out from the back.
I do wonder where the creativity a la Buendia/Maddison is going to come from,judging by the first half its not going to be Christian Whathisname

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It was not particularly bad keeping. For a shot from that far out normally the keeper would be close to the edge of the six-yard box, so even with the deflection he would have had a chance of stopping it.

But because there had been a goalmouth scramble he had been forced right back onto the goal-line, and then didn't have the time to get forward.

The second goal, on the other hand...😍

After not scoring from set-pieces in freaking ages we do suddenly seem like we have options at tenderly lobbing balls into the mixer nowadays.

10 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Don't scratch your eyes but we are indeed playing creative and fun football

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Blimey that Nunez pass was a thing of beauty

Looking forward to being in the ground next week and seeing it in person! 

Its been a long wait! 

Louis Thompson impressing today, fair play and good news for the lad.  Needs a bit of luck.

• Like 1

McCallum replacing DUFFY?? And Placheta at left-back....

Maybe they think McCallum might be a centre-half???

Fisher, Omobamidele, McCallum and Placheta as a back four? Crikey. They'd be eaten alive in the Champs.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Maybe they think McCallum might be a centre-half???

TBF, on a cold Tuesday night at Bramall Lane the season before last, he played that position for QPR and was quite solid, timed tackles well and brought the ball out soundly. He is quite a unit, stranger things have happened. 

Nunez is so lightweight in midfield. Gives the ball away, gets caught in possession, gives hospital passes. I don't see that one good ball per game makes up for that.

WAgner loves a multi subbing particularly one that fails to improve the team.