If nothing else he came from a team with a winning mentality - we need that. What a rubbish decision from the club who are having one of the worst summers I can remember. Awful window so far - we are going backwards not forwards and are clearly so broke we need Plymouth’s million more than a massively exciting up and coming player who plays with creativity on the wing- a position we admit we are short in. Madness 

• Like 9

Just now, Dean Coneys boots said:

If nothing else he came from a team with a winning mentality - we need that. What a rubbish decision from the club who are having one of the worst summers I can remember. Awful window so far - we are going backwards not forwards and are clearly so broke we need Plymouth’s million more than a massively exciting up and coming player who plays with creativity on the wing- a position we admit we are short in. Madness 

Not like you to be negative…

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

I could think of worse summers than bringing in two premier league players and one experienced striker 

stop being so wet 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I could think of worse summers than bringing in two premier league players and one experienced striker 

stop being so wet 

Come on. He is not being wet. This decision looks a shocker on the face of it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

stop being so wet 

Preach 

4 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Not really, on the face of it selling a third choice defender who won’t play for £1m seems anything but.

• Like 1

Plymouth boss on the signing:-

“I am so thrilled to be able to bring Bali back to Argyle,” Schumacher told Plymouth's channels. “His pace, directness and positivity were huge parts of our success last season, and I know he was someone that the Green Army found tremendously exciting to watch. He gets fans off their seats – and I am sure they will be delighted to get to see him in green once again. I know I am!”

"Pace, directness and positivity," eh! Something we could surely have benefitted from last season.

There's more to this than meets the eyewash.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Plymouth boss on the signing:-

“I am so thrilled to be able to bring Bali back to Argyle,” Schumacher told Plymouth's channels. “His pace, directness and positivity were huge parts of our success last season, and I know he was someone that the Green Army found tremendously exciting to watch. He gets fans off their seats – and I am sure they will be delighted to get to see him in green once again. I know I am!”

"Pace, directness and positivity," eh! Something we could surely have benefitted from last season.

There's more to this than meets the eyewash.

Just described Onel and it doesn’t mean there is necessarily end product to be found. 

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Not really, on the face of it selling a third choice defender who won’t play for £1m seems anything but.

To be fair he didn’t do that well at this level whilst at Posh. Nathan (the Brazilian ) was said to be around a million. Suspect he comes in .

11 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Really? 

Read his comment again and try not to drown with how wet he is being 

5 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

Just described Onel and it doesn’t mean there is necessarily end product to be found. 

Not necessarily no, of course not except that Mumba scored a few goals  and made a few assists for Plymouth last season. They've been highlighted in a posting above, can't recall the numbers.

Edited by BroadstairsR

7 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not necessarily no, of course not except that Mumba scored a few goals  and made a few assists for Plymouth last season. They've been highlighted in a posting above, can't recall the numbers.

5 goals 7 assists. Decent return tbf but onel scored 2 and made 5 in 10 fewer games 

4 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

5 goals 7 assists. Decent return tbf but onel scored 2 and made 5 in 10 fewer games 

…and at a far higher level, there’s a big gap between Champs and L1.

7 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

I still don't get the implied comparison with Hernadez though. Onel is nine years older for a start and has been loaned out twice by City as a twenty-eight years old.

As much as I like Argos, on balance I'd rather have Mumba and what he promises on the books for next season. 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

I still don't get the implied comparison with Hernadez though. Onel is nine years older for a start and has been loaned out twice by City as a twenty-eight years old.

As much as I like Argos, on balance I'd rather have Mumba and what he promises on the books for next season. 

That’s just it, he promises nothing really. He may be able to provide, but he may not and perhaps £1 million represents a low risk sum whereas Onel has already paid back his contract value 

1 minute ago, SwearyCanary said:

That’s just it, he promises nothing really. He may be able to provide, but he may not and perhaps £1 million represents a low risk sum whereas Onel has already paid back his contract value 

Repeat, Schumacher's words, an upcoming youngish manager:-

"He gets fans off their seats – and I am sure they will be delighted to get to see him in green once again. I know I am!”

He seems to be looking forward to having the youngster back.

I don’t care what a manager says about a signing he has just made. He is hardly going to say ‘Bali is OK, might excite the fans a bit, might not though’. Farke called Tzolis one of the most exciting prospects in Europe and he is a manager with more success than Schumacher, doesn’t mean he was right 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Not to mention one is an attacking winger whose role is to get forward and score goals and make assists and the other is a wing back, whose role is less about goals and assists and more in the general attacking play. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, SwearyCanary said:

I don’t care what a manager says about a signing he has just made. He is hardly going to say ‘Bali is OK, might excite the fans a bit, might not though’. Farke called Tzolis one of the most exciting prospects in Europe and he is a manager with more success than Schumacher, doesn’t mean he was right 

Schumacher had Mumba for a season and knew the player well, another non-comparison as I see it.

Neither would he have signed him for a club record fee if he did not rate the player.

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Schumacher had Mumba for a season and knew the player well, another non-comparison as I see it.

Neither would he have signed him for a club record fee if he did not rate the player.

But if he was that good surely the club record fee of Plymouth bring about £1 million could be bettered by any number of clubs, even those in league 1 with a bit of backing. We clearly didn’t put up a fight. Another one where the proof will be in the pudding I guess 

I've said this already on the forum but, honestly, Stacey's signing (brilliant) and Fisher stepping up has made Mumba surplus to requirements and I'm pretty sure the 1m plus (possibly) lots of add on clauses will prove to be a good move. People on here are getting way too emotional about Mumba. He clearly didn't want to be here. Good luck to him, but we're covered in that area.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

a HC who is under pressure and who plays a very specific style and is recruiting players for that style and, even more importantly, disposing of players who don't fit that style.

If Wagner is a dud, we are going to be a total mess.

Should we be recruiting players not sited to Wagner preferred style then? You’d rather a squad of technical lightweights than a few grafters who are able to play in the manner the manger wants them to?

I don’t get the frustration about selling somebody who would have only been a squad player. Perhaps the lad wanted to move in order to guarantee first team football? Forcing somebody to stay who doesn’t want to simply to  warm the bench is a sure fire way to ruin the squads morale 

• Like 1

I’m sad to see a young player with potential and such acclaim from last season go but wish him well!

It is what it is and none of us now the entire background to the move, it might suit all parties,.

3 hours ago, Michael Starr said:

I've said this already on the forum but, honestly, Stacey's signing (brilliant) and Fisher stepping up has made Mumba surplus to requirements and I'm pretty sure the 1m plus (possibly) lots of add on clauses will prove to be a good move. People on here are getting way too emotional about Mumba. He clearly didn't want to be here. Good luck to him, but we're covered in that area.

So, let's get this straight... we have a player who does well in a pre-season game or two and only has non-league experience, and this means we're "covered in that position". However, the player playing competitive football, getting promoted to the championship and winning POTS awards is "surplus to requirements". 

Some of the logic in this thread beggars belief. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, canarybubbles said:

Maybe they just assumed that he wasn't available. Most clubs don't let a young, promising player leave after what looks like a breakthrough season.

Spot on 

8 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

The fact he’s considered a third choice defender by Wagner and Webber is even worse than the sale itself.

But it’s ok, we’ve got £9 million Tzolis instead. And Placheta. And 5 years of Adam Idah. Joy of joys.