3 minutes ago, SwearyCanary said:

If you jump to that conclusion then sure, but have you looked up the careers of Paddy Lane and Lewis Johnson? For every Jude Bellingham there are a good handful of layers that peak at league one. Mumba might not be one of them and he might be. Not sure your clairvoyance is reliable, but I’m happy to be proven wrong and eat my words if Mumba stands out this season too. I expect he would be in the radar of bigger clubs than Plymouth if he really stood out as clearly we would accept more than 800k if offered it, especially if it was by a team not in the same division 

Not sure why you're responding to this,

Unless of course you forgot to log out of SwearyCanary and back into Yobocop?

Just now, Google Bot said:

Have we given up on the idea of getting back to the prem league then?

I’d like to go up, not going to cry if we don’t as long as we see progress from last season in what is clearly a transitional period brought about by our own bad decisions 

1 minute ago, CDMullins said:

Am I not allowed to read other posts and comment on them? Sorry, thought this was a forum. Don’t fancy answering the points it raises then? 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Petriix said:

This is incredibly disappointing for a number of reasons but the biggest issue is that it's yet another step in our disastrous transition away from skilful/technical towards physical ('pragmatic') football. It's Webber continuing to chase his losses two seasons after he gambled his house on red and blew the lot.

The hope that many of us retain for the medium term is entirely based on bringing through exciting young players like Mumba. Selling him removes that hope and leaves us with the stark reality of a squad bereft of ability and confidence. Where does our future lie if we're going to let players like this go?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Plymouth have a far better season than us. We seem to be rapidly becoming a basket case of a club. I've been calling for patience but we need something to be positive about. As others have said, we should be signing players like this, not selling them. 

Well put. This is the side of the Mumba sale that doesn't sit so well with me. Does this also mean we are going to stick with Placheta and Tzolis as back-up/competition for Onel, Rowe and Sainz? I'm concerned about our lack of quality in wide positions but then again it could be Wagner's first step in improving it, assuming we bring someone else in.

5 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Me and Sweary aren't the same, I can assure you of that! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RobJames said:

How ? Out on loan, as he obviously will be behind Stacey. Fisher looks like he could be another Gibbs. Straight into the first team squad.

The club would have been monitoring Mumba while he was at Plymouth. If they thought he was up to it, they would not have signed Stacey, nor perhaps signed Fisher.  It is a good measure of where some on here are coming from. The club have brought in Fisher for what I presume is next to nothing, and a few other promising youngsters. Stacey looks as good as Aarons

Out on loan at a Championship club, where he will get to play at a higher level than he has done before. That adds experience which adds value to a player.

If the club had made their mind up about Mumba, why has he been included in pre-season thus far? Why the comments from Wagner about him being "absolutely" in his thinking for this coming season? 

Besides the issue of potentially developing him as a saleable asset, the more I think about it, the more I think it's a strange move for footballing reasons too. 

Fisher is a non league player, aged just 19. Are you seriously suggesting we go into a season with him as the only right back option we have beyond Stacey? For a fan base that consistently bangs on about CB options and never having enough, this seems a bit contradictory. 

Not to mention the versatility offered by Mumba, who showed at Plymouth capability of playing on the left or right and further forward. His pace, goal threat and creativity is something we're lacking in this squad. We've lost a player who could have added depth to a squad - and with Championship teams now allowed to field nine subs (crazy) it's hard to imagine that Mumba wouldn't have got on that bench and been a player we saw fairly regularly given that versatility.

It just seems a strange decision all round. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RobJames said:

How ? Out on loan, as he obviously will be behind Stacey. Fisher looks like he could be another Gibbs. Straight into the first team squad.

The club would have been monitoring Mumba while he was at Plymouth. If they thought he was up to it, they would not have signed Stacey, nor perhaps signed Fisher.  It is a good measure of where some on here are coming from. The club have brought in Fisher for what I presume is next to nothing, and a few other promising youngsters. Stacey looks as good as Aarons

Wow, this guy Fisher has played part of one friendly game for us and did well in the National League last season and suddenly he's clearly ahead of a player who was winning Young Player of the Season in L1. I must watch the game against AZ again because somehow I failed to spot this budding Maldini.

The same thing is happening with Sainz. He hasn't kicked a ball yet and already he's our messiah. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Wow, this guy Fisher has played part of one friendly game for us and did well in the National League last season and suddenly he's clearly ahead of a player who was winning Young Player of the Season in L1. I must watch the game against AZ again because somehow I failed to spot this budding Maldini.

The same thing is happening with Sainz. He hasn't kicked a ball yet and already he's our messiah. 

Yep, it's absurd. He may step up but it's crazy how willing people are to say 'he's straight in there after a solid performance in a pre season game.

23 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

Isn't it likely that someone who is Young Player of the Season in L1 is going to be good enough to at least be OK in the Championship? Not necessarily top rank, but decent. Isn't this why PL clubs take a chance on the top players in the Championship, and so on down the pyramid?

Absolutely correct but I guess we’re looking to be more than ‘ok’ 

also they’ve clearly seen something in him they don’t like, as Bethnal has said it’s good business 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

This is incredibly disappointing for a number of reasons but the biggest issue is that it's yet another step in our disastrous transition away from skilful/technical towards physical ('pragmatic') football. It's Webber continuing to chase his losses two seasons after he gambled his house on red and blew the lot.

The hope that many of us retain for the medium term is entirely based on bringing through exciting young players like Mumba. Selling him removes that hope and leaves us with the stark reality of a squad bereft of ability and confidence. Where does our future lie if we're going to let players like this go?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Plymouth have a far better season than us. We seem to be rapidly becoming a basket case of a club. I've been calling for patience but we need something to be positive about. As others have said, we should be signing players like this, not selling them. 

I think this is an excellent post. If Wagner turns out to be a dud, we are truly screwed because we have shipped out almost all of our players who have technical ability in favour of people who can run all day but do very little with a football at their feet. The whole future of our club is being decided by a SD who has resigned and a head coach who is going to have fans calling for his head if we don't get off to a good start.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

Absolutely correct but I guess we’re looking to be more than ‘ok’ 

also they’ve clearly seen something in him they don’t like, as Bethnal has said it’s good business 

Yes, but my point was that OK should usually be a minimum. Much better than OK is also possible.

Yes, but suppose Webber et al are wrong. They haven't exactly covered themselves in glory over the last two years, have they?

24 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

I can assure you we are two separate people unless I’ve changed sex and moved back to Norwich (think you said you were a female teacher in norwich sweary unless I’ve got that very wrong!) 

CD - sorry didn’t see your response, yes of course players can make the step up but equally some will struggle and they’ve clearly seen something in mumba preseason to suggest he can’t 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canarybubbles said:

I think this is an excellent post. If Wagner turns out to be a dud, we are truly screwed because we have shipped out almost all of our players who have technical ability in favour of people who can run all day but do very little with a football at their feet. The whole future of our club is being decided by a SD who has resigned and a head coach who is going to have fans calling for his head if we don't get off to a good start.

If, maybe, however, could, might.

Season hasn't started and we sell a player who didn't play for us last season and now we are screwed because we haven't any players with technical ability which you tell us Mumba did have.

So to use one of your maybes, if he is that good then Plymouth is a step backward and he should be doing getter.

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Season hasn't started and we sell a player who didn't play for us last season and now we are screwed because we haven't any players with technical ability which you tell us Mumba did have.

So to use one of your maybes, if he is that good then Plymouth is a step backward and he should be doing getter.

There's a total of two ifs, 0 maybes, 0 howevers, 0 coulds and 0 mights in bubble's post that you've quoted.

The logic of "if he's good he won't be going to Plymouth" needs to be wrong because if any player signing for us is any good, they should be going to a better club than us, using that same, clearly fallible logic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Watching him play, he's explosive and very direct, but wasn't invested in Smith's team I think that was clear for all to see.  Longterm players with undoubted loyalty (Max and Pukki) wanted out at the time too, and were off the boil and frustrated figures in the opening matches, too.

If Wagner switches him on and has him up for championship he'll be a massive force for us... As I said before, the potential of him and Sainz either side and two big men in the middle completely transforms us.

If you can't see it, then all I can hope is that it happens so he can demonstrate to the fans who doubt him.

Otherwise, we're putting hope into players like Onel, Rowe or PP able to step up to the mark.  Can't believe it needs pointing out how much better and higher level experience he has than those.

That's not evidence that's your opinion which is great, what footballs about. I need to have more than 'explosive and direct' (really??) we already have 2 runners with no end product that are cheaper and one is emotionally invested in this club. Look at stats, otherwise I'm afraid it's just man love.. Which is also OK. 

12 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

I can assure you we are two separate people unless I’ve changed sex and moved back to Norwich (think you said you were a female teacher in norwich sweary unless I’ve got that very wrong!) 

CD - sorry didn’t see your response, yes of course players can make the step up but equally some will struggle and they’ve clearly seen something in mumba preseason to suggest he can’t 

I’m male, but close enough 

Just seen this.

What a joke this club is right now. Player of the season in a league one promotion winning team is good enough for our first team no question, especially when were a **** show for attacking wingers. Oh yeah, he’s a full back. Shocking business.

This one will come back to bite us.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

I think this is one of the most inexplicable bits of transfer business I can ever remember us doing - in or out - in 37 years of supporting the club. 

If we signed a player who'd just won Young Player of the Season in League One, could play either side, at full back or on the wing, for 1 million, we'd all be delighted.

And after the debacle of last season, he was one of the very few players I was looking forward to seeing in a City shirt next year.

Genuinely baffled. And just as baffled by the people claiming it makes sense.

But each to their own.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes, there are two ifs in my post, but they are both related to Wagner and I think they are far from unlikely. 1) If he is a dud 2) If we get off to a bad start. The end of last season suggests he may well be a dud and that we may well get off to a bad start. 

But you have totally ignored the bigger point. Our long-term future is being decided by a SD who tells us he is going to leave soon and a HC who is under pressure and who plays a very specific style and is recruiting players for that style and, even more importantly, disposing of players who don't fit that style.

If Wagner is a dud, we are going to be a total mess.

Edited by canarybubbles

1 hour ago, Yobocop said:
4 hours ago, S_81 said:

Oh get out of town, he was consistent enough to be a league young player, and club player of the year. 

In league one mate 

Point is that yes, it was League 1, but being in a promotion team rather suggests he would do ok in the championship.

20 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Point is that yes, it was League 1, but being in a promotion team rather suggests he would do ok in the championship.

Of course - same applied to us recently in the prem lol 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

Haha - apologies! 

1 hour ago, SwearyCanary said:

I could have sworn you'd said you were a female teacher as well in the past, glad I've not been fantasising what you might look like  :classic_biggrin:

1 minute ago, Ken Hairy said:

I could have sworn you'd said you were a female teacher as well in the past, glad I've not been fantasising what you might look like  :classic_biggrin:

Well now I’m disappointed. I have a great bum if that helps? 

• Haha 1

I watched him a few times when Plymouth played on Sky last season. Defensively he was very suspect, and definitely not a full back even at League One level. Especially as he's 5 ft 6.

I expect he'll have a decent lower Championship career as an attacking midfielder though. Has a good shot on him.