cambridgeshire canary

Would you be happy if we spent 15 million

https://theathletic.com/4673014/2023/07/07/shea-charles-manchester-city-southampton/

On a 19 year old who's only played 28 minutes of senior football at his club? Now is it just me or is football money really starting to take the mick? Although he has done alright for his national team

Although now I have said this watch him turn out to be world class and sold for 100 million in a few years

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Was just reading the coventry link ysah and now this. Money has destroyed the game. Also means that the best we can ever really aim to be is a yoyo and hope that prem money keeps us reasonably competitive

• Like 1

Didn't Dave Watson cost us just £50,000 when we signed him from Liverpool?

We'd probably be quoted £10,000,000 now.

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair he is a midfielder..

BUT IS HE INJURED???

• Haha 1

I'd be happy if we had £15m sloshing around to spend on anyone.

We kind a did when we had money to burn on Rashica, Sargent and Tzolis.

But also shows the level we are buying at. Milot and Sarge basically cost what a prem academy player does. 9m odd sounds a lot to us but it gets you bang average players

Edited by Canario
Milot not militar!!

2 hours ago, Canario said:

Was just reading the coventry link ysah and now this. Money has destroyed the game. Also means that the best we can ever really aim to be is a yoyo and hope that prem money keeps us reasonably competitive

Money has destroyed the game but we only have ourselves to blame, by paying the monthly Sky/BT subs etc.

• Like 3

I'd just be happy if we spent any money at this point.

It'd be nice to see some sort of semblance of a plan at the club.

Edited by Unhinged Canary
words

12 minutes ago, Unhinged Canary said:

I'd just be happy if we spent any money at this point.

It'd be nice to see some sort of semblance of a plan at the club.

As opposed to signing 6-7 players already?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Well perhaps it would be nice to get 1 or 2 that aren't, you know, sh1te.

Edited by Unhinged Canary

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

All free and all probably not going to cut it , we really are the pound land of the league. Not one penny spent until we offload whatever we can get shot of , truly tragic how the owners have held this club back for years.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, City 101 said:

All free and all probably not going to cut it , we really are the pound land of the league. Not one penny spent until we offload whatever we can get shot of , truly tragic how the owners have held this club back for years.

The signings in fairness seem quite clever but yes you’re right. Man cannot live by bread alone or just free signings. 

16 minutes ago, City 101 said:

And yet we’ve been promoted to the premier league on a number of occasions when several who have spent beyond their means are stuck in the championship 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

And yet we’ve been promoted to the premier league on a number of occasions when several who have spent beyond their means are stuck in the championship 

As Daniel would have said “let’s be greedy” When next promoted could we stop up for more than just one season? It’s a baby step but who knows what might happen after. 

3 hours ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Well perhaps it would be nice to get 1 or 2 that aren't, you know, sh1te.

Oh? So which of them is, you know, sh1te?  Perhaps you can give me your insight as they all look decent enough signings to replace those who left.

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh? So which of them is, you know, sh1te?  Perhaps you can give me your insight as they all look decent enough signings to replace those who left.

Herein lies the problem. We released a load of players because they're not good enough. We've replaced them with a load of players that other teams don't think are good enough.

There's usually a reason why players go on a free transfer, and it's not through a clubs generosity.

We've replaced a load of mid to lower championship table crap with another load of mid to lower championship table crap.

I hope to be proven wrong, but it's looking like it's going to be a long and painful season if something more positive doesn't start happening.

The squad is nowhere near good enough, and the manager hasn't shown anything to suggest that things are going to change much.

I, amongst others, said exactly the same thing last season after the Celtic game and got predictably shot down by the usual sycophants on here.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. But I'm seeing nothing that suggests I'm not.

Time will tell.

• Like 1

Was it Bournemouth who paid that sort of money for a Liverpool winger who was similar and hasn't done a great deal since? Might have been Leeds... trying to remember his name.

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Was it Bournemouth who paid that sort of money for a Liverpool winger who was similar and hasn't done a great deal since? Might have been Leeds... trying to remember his name.

Jordon Ibe 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unhinged Canary said:

Herein lies the problem. We released a load of players because they're not good enough. We've replaced them with a load of players that other teams don't think are good enough.

There's usually a reason why players go on a free transfer, and it's not through a clubs generosity.

We've replaced a load of mid to lower championship table crap with another load of mid to lower championship table crap.

I hope to be proven wrong, but it's looking like it's going to be a long and painful season if something more positive doesn't start happening.

The squad is nowhere near good enough, and the manager hasn't shown anything to suggest that things are going to change much.

I, amongst others, said exactly the same thing last season after the Celtic game and got predictably shot down by the usual sycophants on here.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. But I'm seeing nothing that suggests I'm not.

Time will tell.

Ah, I see - so you’re not committing to anything, just a general ‘they must be crap’ kind-of catch-all argument that means you can be partially right but not wrong as you’ve not named anyone.  Good one. 

But in bald terms there’s a pretty large difference between your lower league players being released (let’s say Trybull as weirdly people seem to want to sign him), and guys like Sainz who had a clause that he could go if they were relegated; Barnes (more PL apps than most and playing for the title winners last season) who ran his contract down and is hardly ‘lower championship table crap’ and ditto Duffy and Stacey who were at PL sides.

Obviously I don’t know if some or all will be considered decent for us, but am at least willing to give them a chance - and as a starting point to cover those who left, it isn’t a bad one. 

But as you seem to claim near-perfect foresight, who is it you suggest we sign?

10 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

As Daniel would have said “let’s be greedy” When next promoted could we stop up for more than just one season? It’s a baby step but who knows what might happen after. 

Problem is we had to gamble and it might end up costing us but I think if we were promoted under attanassio’s stewardship it might be a different story 

10 hours ago, Yobocop said:

I am usually a positive person but come on, last season showed the direction of travel this club is taking, now I am hoping that this season will be better but my gut feeling at the moment is that the best we can hope for is a play off off place, the days of winning the league and automatic promotion seem long gone. I thank Delia and MWJ for what they have done at NCFC but their time is up. I am not suggesting we live beyond our means, but our "means" at the moment is akin to snuffling around the reduced items at the supermarket. I also thank Webber for what he has done re the training facilities but we we also need to be pushing for promotion/getting promoted on a regular basis to attract players, lets just say we get nowhere near promotion over the the next three or four seasons does anybody really believe that having a wonderful training ground will be enough to convince a player to join NCFC?. I accept our position in the football food chain, we have always been a "stepping stone" for players but we are in danger of not even being seen as a stepping stone if things do not improve on the pitch.........

6 hours ago, Unhinged Canary said:

I'm very much of the same opinion... except I also think we've got a huge amount of potential in the squad. We need to rebuild and, to me, that means scouring the bargain basements and obscure foreign markets as well as raiding the lower leagues and academies for more of those 'rough diamonds'.

Buendia and Pukki developed significantly while they were here and that's what we need to emulate now. We shouldn't be blowing money on big transfer fees, we should be giving opportunities for players to grow into the stars of the future.

This approach will require patience. Farke did a great job of getting the maximum out of his squad, but it took time to start bearing fruit. 

3 minutes ago, Ulfotto said:

Interesting that Southampton are sticking to the transfer policy of signing unproven young players when it is that exact policy that got them relegated from the premier league. Interesting that seem to buy unheard of Man City youth players quite a lot for a lot of money 

https://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2471&teamTabs=transfers

Makes you think

so they would have spend well over 40 million plus if the above transfer goes through in the last two seasons exclusively on Man City youth players. 

I am no follower of Southampton but none of those players have had much of a impact on the the first team though obviously I might be wrong there.

Sus?