Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Maddison Sell On

So £40m it is then… anticlimactic but could have been worse if he’d left on a free one day a la Tielemans. So what’s the sell on clause then? 10%/15%? On profit or total fee?

Either way, that’s one punt from South America or something to add to the kitty.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

So £40m it is then… anticlimactic but could have been worse if he’d left on a free one day a la Tielemans. So what’s the sell on clause then? 10%/15%? On profit or total fee?

Either way, that’s one punt from South America or something to add to the kitty.

On profit.

Better than nowt. Overall I think we done well out of young Madders. As we did Godfrey , Lewis , the Murphys et al.  

How do the add ons work for us in a deal like this. Say there’s 10 million worth of add ons do we get our % when Leicester receive theirs ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

How do the add ons work for us in a deal like this. Say there’s 10 million worth of add ons do we get our % when Leicester receive theirs ?

That’s what I wondered. If there is, for example, an extra million when he scores 15 goals do we then get a percentage of that also once it’s a achieved?

2 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

That’s what I wondered. If there is, for example, an extra million when he scores 15 goals do we then get a percentage of that also once it’s a achieved?

Also, dont we have to pay Coventry something?

19 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Not sure but I would imagine they were settled up when Leicester bought him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Not sure but I would imagine they were settled up when Leicester bought him.

Fairly sure Coventry will get a cut too from Norwich. 

£40million for Maddison seems like an absolute bargain to me. Can’t believe that other clubs were not interested at that price. Man Utd failed with a £55m bid for Mount. Maddison is just as good if not better in my opinion.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t think it’s an infinite sell on clause surely they got that cut when he moved to Leicester and also got the associated percentage of add ons

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-james-maddison-deal-14803846?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

£40million for Maddison seems like an absolute bargain to me. Can’t believe that other clubs were not interested at that price. Man Utd failed with a £55m bid for Mount. Maddison is just as good if not better in my opinion.

Yea it seems odd guess it’s because with Newcastle’s FFP issues there are no other clubs in for him. Would imagine there will be chunky add ons too

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Maybe football is different, but there is a legal principle in contract law called res inter alios acta, basically meaning a matter between others is not the business of any another. Norwich or Spurs wouldn't be under any obligation to even tell Coventry the fee.

My understanding is sketchy and restricted to the world of insurance, maybe the existence of a clause in the Norwich/Coventry deal infers contractual rights on them, but in general it would be a difficult thing to enforce.

13 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Maybe football is different, but there is a legal principle in contract law called res inter alios acta, basically meaning a matter between others is not the business of any another. Norwich or Spurs wouldn't be under any obligation to even tell Coventry the fee.

My understanding is sketchy and restricted to the world of insurance, maybe the existence of a clause in the Norwich/Coventry deal infers contractual rights on them, but in general it would be a difficult thing to enforce.

Paddy Davitt might be able to help. 

1 hour ago, Soldier on said:

Don’t think it’s an infinite sell on clause surely they got that cut when he moved to Leicester and also got the associated percentage of add ons

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/football/transfer-news/coventry-city-james-maddison-deal-14803846?int_source=amp_continue_reading&int_medium=amp&int_campaign=continue_reading_button#amp-readmore-target

Essex canary may think it should be otherwise! 😊 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Satriales said:

No, they had their bit when we sold him to Leicester 

£40m is an absolute deal. Kind of re-affirms the price we got for Maddison initially was very good when Leicester, having actually proven him at the top end of the Prem, can't get more than 40 for him.

As ever, the problem with transfers is that we never really know what the fees were - bbc is saying we got £20m for him, I thought it was higher - and certainly higher with clauses.  Whatever, a few £m into our coffers will be most welcome.

2 hours ago, Soldier on said:

Yea it seems odd guess it’s because with Newcastle’s FFP issues there are no other clubs in for him. Would imagine there will be chunky add ons too

According to the Guardian he turned Newcastle down.

2 hours ago, Yellow Green Army said:

Slightly different players - Mount is more defensively disciplined so can play further back if required which is possibly more what United are after.  I agree that £40m is a relative steal these days for one of the more effective attacking midfielders over the last few Premiership seasons mind you.

1 minute ago, Barham Blitz said:

According to the Guardian he turned Newcastle down.

Slightly different players - Mount is more defensively disciplined so can play further back if required which is possibly more what United are after.  I agree that £40m is a relative steal these days for one of the more effective attacking midfielders over the last few Premiership seasons mind you.

Mount always feels underrated by some because he doesn't get flashy numbers in goals and assists but he's a very well rounded midfielder who doesn't have many obvious weaknesses and can help make others around him better.

• Like 2

Levy is a great negotiator. Getting Maddison relatively cheaply I reckon. Yet it will probably cost a ridiculous amount to get Kane. 

I wander if the relatively low fee is a sign of things to come and clubs are actually going to be more sensible because of FFP

32 minutes ago, Yellow Green Army said:

£2.25million not to be sniffed at!

Time to find another Buendia.😃

Oh we can dream 

But Sainz is the new Buendia, once he arrives 😉

£40m - £24m means £16m profit based on fees suggested at time of sale.  10% sell on £1.6m to City, 20% £3.2m.  Not what we were hoping for.  But would have bought the Peterboro signing gone to Ipswich.  And would have bought Paul Smyth from Leyton Orient who has gone to QPR.  A proper winger gets to byline and crosses, isd speedy and has good scoting record.  We will see what we might have missed in Lge cup match if he plays.  But he is a definite player, but L2 not a market on Webbers radar.

40 million is a steal given that is the quoted figure Newcastle paid for Antony Gordon whose output is quite frankly laughable compared to Maddison.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

No, they had their bit when we sold him to Leicester 

The Norwich Evening News are saying that Coventry will receive between 10 & 15% of whatever we receive from Tottenham.