47 starts over the past 4 seasons, aged 27-31, a prime age for a defender, one would think.

He is either injury-prone….not very good…….or ‘raring to play football’…….

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

The fact you went to take a look at TWTD for their opinion on one of our signings is beyond me, so I'm going to tap out and let you continue your day on...Ipswich forums?

Whatever floats your boat.

Who said  "I went to look on TWTD for their opinion." Yet another daft, defensive remark.

The fact that I occasionally visit them on a Sunday morning (as many do) and saw the posting equates to nothing of the sort. How silly.

Do you actually engage your brain before posting on here.

Tap out? Waters getting too deep?

I have no boat, silly boy. Just a yacht.

Edited by BroadstairsR

You know the funny thing is that had the binners signed him or any player with recent prem experience I have no doubt that they would be creaming themselves about how great of a singing it is.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, unique said:

47 starts over the past 4 seasons, aged 27-31, a prime age for a defender, one would think.

I think he's just stuck around the premier league waiting for his chance instead of moving to the Championship where he'd be guaranteed games. 

Obviously Omo has a much higher ceiling but I think Duffy comes in here and is instantly  our number 1 central defender.

17 minutes ago, unique said:

He hasn't been injured, if that helps. But he played 18 times last season for a good Brighton side. And he's come off the bench a couple of times for Prem Midtable Fulham. If that helps at all..

At least he is used to sitting on the bench, which is the only place Norwich City players enhance their reputation these days….

Excellent signing, but sticking plaster nonetheless.

Epitomizes the complete failure of Webberism and all that goes with it.

We signed Grant Hanley when he was 26. btw. and considered sticking plaster at the time.

He started on the bench.

Wiki:

"Although he had been something of an emergency buy, with Norwich having started the season with a number of injuries   ..."

Great servant, but would we be happy to sign Grant now?

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

He hasn't been injured, if that helps. But he played 18 times last season for a good Brighton side. And he's come off the bench a couple of times for Prem Midtable Fulham. If that helps at all..

Quite so - there’s not too much wrong being backup for sides in the PL, and we’re definitely not likely to be getting current first choice PL players at the moment!

Any signing can workout well or be a dud, you simply can’t tell in advance (most were pleased at Gilmour, few thought much of Pukki signing).  I’ve never been down on players until I’ve seen them play.  Barnes and Duffy definitely look to have a level of experience that could be of huge use, sorely missing in those last 10 or so games this season..  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Quite so - there’s not too much wrong being backup for sides in the PL, and we’re definitely not likely to be getting current first choice PL players at the moment!

Any signing can workout well or be a dud, you simply can’t tell in advance (most were pleased at Gilmour, few thought much of Pukki signing).  I’ve never been down on players until I’ve seen them play.  Barnes and Duffy definitely look to have a level of experience that could be of huge use, sorely missing in those last 10 or so games this season..  

Perfectly put.

8 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

If we signed him and a for instance an out of contract James McArthur from Palace , together with Barnes would certaintly make foran experienced spine

Isnt James McArthur about 40? Sure feels like he's been playing forever

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

36 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

You know the funny thing is that had the binners signed him or any player with recent prem experience I have no doubt that they would be creaming themselves about how great of a singing it is.

This is absolutely true - it’s definitely one of those where they’d be pretty chuffed that they were able to attract a current PL player, I’m sure there’d be plenty of comments about it showing how far they’ve come and their level of intent.  Tbh if they were signing him I’d be mildly impressed. 

Catch 22 situation we are in 

we need experience but we need a core of youngsters that will step up and improve ,

if you build a team for the championship only ! then when or if you go up you have to do a forest ,

We need to sign players we can improve or who can go onto greater things as much as we do the present,

i know we are in the champs but you have to have a eye on the future also ,

4 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

He's free and better than what we have. As long as his wages are sensible then what's not to like?

what i have seen of him seems better than Hanley or Gibson 

Just now, norfolkngood said:

what i have seen of him seems better than Hanley or Gibson 

He was dreadful at Celtic to be fair. I watch a bit of Celtic as they're my second team and he was a bit of a Gary Doherty, could put in a performance but a calamity was never far away.

But he revealed afterwards that it was a torrid time off the pitch with his Dad dying and Covid stopping him seeing his kids who were in Ireland, so I wouldn't read too much into the scathing reviews Celtic fans will give him.

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

He was dreadful at Celtic to be fair. I watch a bit of Celtic as they're my second team and he was a bit of a Gary Doherty, could put in a performance but a calamity was never far away.

But he revealed afterwards that it was a torrid time off the pitch with his Dad dying and Covid stopping him seeing his kids who were in Ireland, so I wouldn't read too much into the scathing reviews Celtic fans will give him.

Yes you never know what is going on in private lives and if you are not 100 % on it then mistakes will happen ,

Hanley and Gibson seem miles away most of the time also ....

Some of these posts seem reminiscent of the ones about Hayden last season.

Fact is we don't know what he is like now.  Lets hope those in charge do.

Clearly having failed with inexpensive youth recruitment has shifted to the other end of the spectrum - inexpensive ageing players looking for a final payday. Fingers crossed it works- as he hasn’t played regularly for some time.

Of course what we really need are players in their prime- but our self sustaining model doesn’t afford us that luxury. Fingers crossed then…as many champs teams have gone down the ageing stars route only to discover why the selling clubs got rid. Too pessimistic? I guess l we have had too many overinflated salaries for under performing sick notes in recent years where older players are concerned- but here’s hoping they turn out to be more like Dion Dublin and less like a certain ex Evertonian Scot 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Some of these posts seem reminiscent of the ones about Hayden last season.

Fact is we don't know what he is like now.  Lets hope those in charge do.

They didn’t with Hayden…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, unique said:

He is very experienced - 119 PL appearances. Although Transfermarkt showed him as having quite a long injury history, he has been playing football for over a decade and never been out for more than 6 weeks. How long is Hanley out for? - Over 6 months

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Big difference between three seasons in League 2 and two in the premier league Cambridge! So of course for teams from that league would consider that a better signing than some of our fans! I don’t mind these signings but it does highlight just how poor the past two seasons have been the we’re out of money and signing free be and thinking them be brilliant signings! 

The problem with injury records is that you can get a guy with a perfect history who gets a nasty injury within days/weeks of signing (eg John O’Neill, poor guy) or one with an iffy record who goes on to play 40 games a season.  It’s far from an exact science.

Not a fan of this signing really, we already have 2 CB's over 30 and would rather we looked for some younger options. There's obviously some caveats there as I expect we are still looking for 1 more and there's a big question mark over what Hanley will look like post-injury.

Regardless I imagine Duffy will be signing a 2 year deal so him and Hanley will both be tied down until '25 with Gibson only having a year to go, they will all be on good wages and nearly impossible to shift if we no longer have any need for them.

It feels like more evidence to me that Webber/Wagner are sacrificing any long-term strategy in order to protect themselves by getting in as much experience as they can while selling off our younger players to fund this. If this doesn't work out the mess they'll leave will be just as big as the one Webber inherited. 

Looking forward to Duffy doing what that other "old-timer" Klose did, and breaking Ip**** hearts.

37 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

He is very experienced - 119 PL appearances. Although Transfermarkt showed him as having quite a long injury history, he has been playing football for over a decade and never been out for more than 6 weeks. How long is Hanley out for? - Over 6 months

Just the experienced leader at the back that we need IMO - if we keep Omo he would learn a lot

16 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Looking forward to Duffy doing what that other "old-timer" Klose did, and breaking Ip**** hearts.

Hope Hanley, Duffy and Barnes all play against the scum.

Need some proper ****houses when we face them

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hope Hanley, Duffy and Barnes all play against the scum.

Need some proper ****houses when we face them

Is Hope a new signing CC?

3 hours ago, unique said:

Only 5 this season looks as tho he has been back up to Fulham’s defence (who have been decent). Hopefully it’s just bad luck and he’s moving to get games