Like this one. Another battle-hardened professional to go along with Barnes. 

Do we need more of these oldies though?

Excellent. Very good player indeed at Championship level and has the right attitude. 

Captains are like buses. We haven't had one in years then 2 come along

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Excellent. Very good player indeed at Championship level and has the right attitude. 

Captains are like buses. We haven't had one in years then 2 come along

Shame he was often said to have been "the worst defender Celtic have ever seen" by their fans. They again they did not really like Pukki and well..

8 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame he was often said to have been "the worst defender Celtic have ever seen" by their fans. They again they did not really like Pukki and well..

150 games for Brighton and more than 50 international caps. 

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

150 games for Brighton and more than 50 international caps. 

Exactly. He's just the kind of expierence we need. Just feel sad for him as he's been a lifelong celtic fan and got to play for them at long last and well..Fair to Celtic fans are not the nicest or kindest fanbase around.

Wonder if Hanleys loss with his injury and all his age and experience is what spurred us on to look for a player like Duffy?

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

32 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Do we need more of these oldies though?

To me, last season demonstrated that we were particularly vulnerable when senior players were absent, our naivety was obvious and thoroughly exploited by a lot of our opponents. Check our results post Kenny's injury, and again with Hanley out.

Whilst not a long time fix, I for one welcome this type of signing, and at 31, hardly ancient, especially in the day and age of sports science. 

• Like 3

Just now, Daz Sparks said:

To me, last season demonstrated that we were particularly vulnerable when senior players were absent, our naivety was obvious and thoroughly exploited by a lot of our opponents. Check our results post Kenny's injury, and again with Hanley out.

Whilst not a long time fix, I for one welcome this type of signing, and at 31, hardly ancient, especially in the day and age of sports science. 

Agreed.

My query was really aimed at the number we should sign. Two is probably the limit, imo.

We still have Hanley and McClean after all.

We won’t have Hanley until 2024 at the earliest then and in reality he may never get back to what he was.

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

Agreed.

My query was really aimed at the number we should sign. Two is probably the limit, imo.

We still have Hanley and McClean after all.

I wouldn't be unhappy to see one or two more, but yes, I agree, we should try and promote our own youngsters and recruit raw talent from lower leagues.

34 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

I wouldn't be unhappy to see one or two more, but yes, I agree, we should try and promote our own youngsters and recruit raw talent from lower leagues.

Remember Steve Walsh that Leicester (PL) stalwart. Jan Molby anybody? Sibierski? All cost.

You need to be careful. The day when some of these players lose it happens with haste.

Not any more, imo.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Soldier on said:

He’s only 31 in fairness

True, but any new signing over thirty has to be seen as sticking plaster. Hardly the (omnipotent) Webber creed of sign young and develop.

If this is what is needed, then so be it.

I'm in favour, but it's still a bit desperate.

Looks like he still played 18 times for Brighton last season and has come off the bench for Fulham this season so not been injured, just had better players ahead of him. 

For us, looks a no-brainer signing.

Just now, BroadstairsR said:

True, but any new signing over thirty has to be seen as sticking plaster. Hardly the (omnipotent) Webber creed of sign young and develop.

If this is what is needed, then so be it.

I'm in favour, but it's still a bit desperate.

I don't think it's desperate to sign a player over 30 whatsoever. It's just called scouting and recruitment. The age doesn't make it a desperation signings. All the top teams in world football have made signings of players over 30. 

United signed Casemiro. I don't think that's a desperate signing, it's been a quality one.

Just now, hogesar said:

Looks like he still played 18 times for Brighton last season and has come off the bench for Fulham this season so not been injured, just had better players ahead of him. 

For us, looks a no-brainer signing.

If we signed a tub of lard on legs you'd be in favour.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BroadstairsR said:

If we signed a tub of lard on legs you'd be in favour.

Funny, take a look back, I've criticised plenty of signings we've made when it's been obvious it's a bad one. This isn't one of them. 

Equally, with your general track record of getting anything right on this forum it'd be best to not bother posting your opinion...but it's a forum so here we are.

Edited by hogesar
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I don't think it's desperate to sign a player over 30 whatsoever. It's just called scouting and recruitment. The age doesn't make it a desperation signings. All the top teams in world football have made signings of players over 30. 

United signed Casemiro. I don't think that's a desperate signing, it's been a quality one.

Sticking plaster in order to make up for the recent past.

I'm in favour, btw. It's what we've become. Go along with the flow.

(Even twtd are now taking the p-iss.) 

“What is his injury status”? will always be my first question with any new City signing…..

Cynical or sadly appropriate?

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Funny, take a look back, I've criticised plenty of signings we've made when it's been obvious it's a bad one. This isn't one of them. 

Equally, with your general track record of getting anything right on this forum it'd be best to not bother posting your opinion...but it's a forum so here we are.

Oh! How sweet.

Pleaser back that up, as that's a pretty extreme statement. Even for a ultra defensive toady like you.

Go on boyo. Back it up. You seem to have the time.

Easy to cast after all.

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Oh! How sweet.

Pleaser back that up, as that's a pretty extreme statement. Even for a ultra defensive toady like you.

Go on boyo. Back it up. You seem to have the time.

Easy to cast after all.

The fact you went to take a look at TWTD for their opinion on one of our signings is beyond me, so I'm going to tap out and let you continue your day on...Ipswich forums?

Whatever floats your boat.