cambridgeshire canary

"'You're living in a fantasy"- Webber defends recruitment

I am sick of talking about the guy. He would rather snipe than build bridges but he is not going anywhere and we will just have to hope that next year is better. The management ain't going anywhere.. Time to concentrate on other passions such as music, film... never let's you down

The guy is just an aggressive ar£3hole, he has no time for anybody other than himself. A stain on Delia and Michael’s legacy for allowing it to continue with no end in sight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Mr untouchable strikes again but more fool Delia & Michael for allowing it to happen.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

He's certainly an astute fellow....create outrage, play the victim, cause division and so much more....

....and all with a face only his mother could love....

Bloke should go into politics....

• Haha 2

Another thread for the meltdowners.

Sorry, but if anyone thinks this sort of hard-nose CEO or higher level management speak is "shocking" or "new" then I would have to say they have either only ever been self employed or they have been exceedingly lucky.

I have had senior management tell me that they don't really do sympathy or hugging - when in relation to a long term colleague who had just been through a difficult divorce - no fault of theirs. 

None of this looks any different to me.

The other thing which baffles me is that the same people commenting now, weren't moaning the first 3 seasons and I don't think he was particularly any different. Probably seen as "tough talking" then.

Another day... same old BS. 

Edited by chicken
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mello Yello said:

He's certainly an astute fellow....create outrage, play the victim, cause division and so much more....

....and all with a face only his mother could love....

Bloke should go into politics....

When you get into higher management of companies etc, it IS politics.

• Like 1

Just now, chicken said:

When you get into higher management of companies etc, it IS politics.

Please can you just work around me whilst I'm busy boosting my post count....? Many thanks....

The guy is a classic narcissist – he thinks he’s God’s gift and that his record is amazing; when in reality, he’s a hit-and-hope charlatan and a toxic lead weight.

Edited by Robornio
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Oh god, are we going to get a new angle about how crap everything is every single day from now on?

Yes.

I want to start a new one.

How our yellow isn't the right kind of yellow anymore. They changed it, and I want the old yellow back. 

• Haha 1

Webber seems to be focusing on the injuries and not on the crap players he signed. 

So we would be in the playoffs had those players been fit then? I should coco. 

• Like 1

Just now, Robornio said:

The guy is a classic narcissist – he thinks he’s God’s gift and that his record is amazing; when in reality, he’s hit-and-hope charlatan and is a toxic lead weight.

I mean this is just daft.

Can you imagine what would happen if he actually said what folks on here appear to want him to say? You'd all meltdown and flip a lid.

"Why is he admitting to all of his failures and not walking?"
"See, always told you he was soft and useless!"
"If he can't handle a knock, how can he be a sporting director?"

Etc etc etc.

Just take a step back and realise that he is never going to say anything you want to hear because you don't want to be hearing him. Then you might realise because of your fixed position, you'll never let him get anything right.

There is nothing wrong with disliking him, but attempting to pass objective reflection on anything he says/does at this point is just not going to work and make a lot of folks look silly... and to a certain degree, obsessed.

Webber can do no wrong in Webber's eyes. We are lucky to have him for he could easily move on.....  he more or less he told us that.

11 minutes ago, chicken said:

Another thread for the meltdowners.

Sorry, but if anyone thinks this sort of hard-nose CEO or higher level management speak is "shocking" or "new" then I would have to say they have either only ever been self employed or they have been exceedingly lucky.

I have had senior management tell me that they don't really do sympathy or hugging - when in relation to a long term colleague who had just been through a difficult divorce - no fault of theirs. 

None of this looks any different to me.

The other thing which baffles me is that the same people commenting now, weren't moaning the first 3 seasons and I don't think he was particularly any different. Probably seen as "tough talking" then.

Same day... same old BS. 

I work high up in a company and deal with the board ever day. This sort of tough talking bullsh#t went out years ago.. you encourage, build teams and deal with issues in a professional and fair manner. You most certainly don't antagonise your customer base... anyway enough time wasted! I guess you don't have to listen to him..

Edited by Kenny Foggo
  • Like 9

If Smith had to go after the crowd turned on him why shouldn’t Webber go after the crowd turned on him. The sooner he is gone the quicker the club can pull together because Wagner will be under extreme pressure at the start of next season, a few poor results and it will be toxic.  

1 minute ago, Chelm Canary said:

Webber seems to be focusing on the injuries and not on the crap players he signed. 

So we would be in the playoffs had those players been fit then? I should coco. 

Not a huge leap. I deffo think we would have done better in those last ten games. Two wins and a draw better? Not that impossible considering some of the opposition.

Blackpool being a good example. Dowell, McLean and Hanley are it for me. When Wagner came in, Dowell was instrumental to our attacking play and we started to thump teams again. His injury blunted our attacking ability. As I said about him leaving, I have mixed feelings, when fit and on form, he was our most creative attacking player - and that I will miss. However, when injured or up against a more physical, tough side, he could go missing. Wagner got it spot on, he needed to tackle more, contribute more to the side of the game without the ball.

Hanley and McLean are organisational. It utterly went to sh!t without those two.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Webber can do no wrong in Webber's eyes. We are lucky to have him for he could easily move on.....  he more or less he told us that.

Can you imagine him at Leeds with Allardyce I can see only one winner and it isn’t Webber.

1 minute ago, ridgeman said:

Can you imagine him at Leeds with Allardyce I can see only one winner and it isn’t Webber.

Sam would give him a wedgie and throw him into a rotten pile of training ground grass cuttings....

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

I work high up in a company and deal with the board ever day. This sort of tough talking bullsh#t went out years ago.. you encourage, build teams and deal with issues in a professional and fair manner. You most certainly don't antagonise your customer base... anyway enough time wasted! I guess you don't have to listen to him..

It might have done for your business... I have dealt with, and continue to deal with, a great many where it hasn't. And it is no surprise either, when you look into politics itself, how many cabinet ministers and high ranking MP's run businesses, hedge funds etc.

I don't think Webber alone has antagonised the "customer base". Much is being heaped upon him but I don't think many are actually being that objective.

I do think it could be likely time for him to move on, if only because we have now got to the stage where, in Star Trek terms, the best way to deal with this toxicity is to eject the warp core and limp back to port on impulse engines.

As Nutty has said. We are not in unfamiliar territory, this is just another dip in the rollercoaster of Norwich City FC. In many ways it has some similarities with Worthington in that we had a solid squad of experienced pros that ultimately were nearing the latter stages of their career under promotion. One of the best organised sides and defensively meanest. The issue was transitioning that team, which had been together, mostly, for several seasons, upon relegation.

We have seen the side from that original promotion gently diminish, replacements have actually shown promise but just not delivered - Dowell being a real case in point. I don't think anyone can question that at times he has the quality. But he just didn't have the 'mettle', the consistency or enough time injury free.

Sometimes people can oversee transition well. Sometimes not. As a manager, I think Farke struggled with getting his team to be "tougher" to crack by the point he left. Smith was jaded, almost hungover from splitting with his love of AVFC. I will stand by my view that it was the right appointment but at the wrong time. Should have gone with a short term end of the season deal with someone and then given ourselves the option to shake it up in the summer.

That signings don't work out is something that happens. The sides relegated from any league will look at things like that the same. I am sure there are teams that will be as gutted if not more so than us - Huddersfield?

It's football. I got beyond the need to have a particular person to blame a long time ago. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Why is it seemingly impossible for the majority to *not* take everything Webber is quoted as saying personally?

There is no specific person being targeted. No specific group being targeted. He is not saying 'hey, you peasant, posting over there on the Pinkun. You dont understand how football works!'.

Just saying the realities of managing transfers is worlds different to what most of us are aware of. Which I think is fair; the way people act, there must have been loads of obvious, affordable sure-thing PL signings available but Webber went with Rashica because having a Kosovan is cooler. And Tzolis to sell more Z's in shirt printing.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

I will stand by my view that it was the right appointment but at the wrong time. Should have gone with a short term end of the season deal with someone and then given ourselves the option to shake it up in the summer.

Imo, Smith was never going to be a good fit. Simply doesn't have the dynamism needed. A Lambert at his best, a Alex Neil at his best, Farke at his best. Smith at his best looked like he needed a hug off someone. Poor choice and I agree with you that it would have been better to give a short term deal to someone who could motivate...or better still, just kept Farke on if there was no-one who could do that. 

26 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yes.

I want to start a new one.

How our yellow isn't the right kind of yellow anymore. They changed it, and I want the old yellow back. 

You are copying Webber. Go off piste and blame the posters.

This has nothing to do with an office or factory environment whasoever. It is totally different. In the main, Companies rely on customers and no matter how they react to their own staff, they try avoiding upsetting their customers. Webber just tries to tell us we are stupid, don't understand and he did a brilliant job in recruting Rashica, PLM, Normann, Tzolis, Sargent, Hayden, Dowell, Byram, Gibson, Gilmour, Kabak, Sinani and now Nunez.

I respect you do not like too much criticism of the club because you believe its unwarranted. But for goodness sake, look at that list and tell me the successes.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mason 47 said:

Why is it seemingly impossible for the majority to *not* take everything Webber is quoted as saying personally?

There is no specific person being targeted. No specific group being targeted. He is not saying 'hey, you peasant, posting over there on the Pinkun. You dont understand how football works!'.

Just saying the realities of managing transfers is worlds different to what most of us are aware of. Which I think is fair; the way people act, there must have been loads of obvious, affordable sure-thing PL signings available but Webber went with Rashica because having a Kosovan is cooler. And Tzolis to sell more Z's in shirt printing.

The same way the same people weren't able to take their gaze off Cantwell's social media so they could criticise every image or post... 

Some folks just take this all waaaaay to seriously IMHO. One of the reasons I hate the silly money aspect of football is it breeds this sort of entitlement. Newcastle fans ignoring the fact their owners are part of a murderous, anti-free speech regime because they feel they "deserve" to be contesting the Premier League title etc.

I would much rather be an "honest" club. One that works as hard as it can within the rules and within the boundaries of decency and decent ethics and morals. 

I know that'll upset Essex but I see he and Big V have now found each other and we may yet hear the chime of glasses touching over a romantic meal for two... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Club lickspittles and board sycophants are certainly working overtime this morning, swarming all over the forum....Today's priority?...."Operation defend Webbo"....

C'mon club critics....pull yer pooter fingers out!....

How are people judging the mood of the 'customer base'?

Season tickets? Commercial activities? Would they increase if Webber wasn't there? Will Webbers recent round of interviews affect them?

The issue is that Webber comes across as extremely arrogant and always has done. 

We knew that right from the start, but when things were going well, we were able to accept it, joke about it, and even find it quite funny and charming in a way.

The problem is that now things aren't going so well, he just creates divisions between the fans and himself by being this way, which also creates a division between the fans and the club, seeing as he seems to be the spokesperson nowadays. 

Continuing with this arrogance just seems like bad PR right now. He really should at least try to tone it down, but he doesn't seem to be willing or able to do so.

• Like 1