Icecream Snow

"City to announce new signing and coach imminently"

Tom Ince has vast experience at this level and I would imagine lots of hunger as the Premier League keeps avoiding him.

8 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

Gunn 27, Krul 35

Air Rons 23, AO 20, Hanley 31, Gibson 30, McCallum 22, Giannoulis 27, Mumba 21, Tomkinson 21

Sara 23, Tzolis 21, Sorensen 25, Placheta 25, McClean 31, Argos 30, Nunez 23, Rowe 20, Springett 20, Gibbs 20

Idah 22, Sargent 23, Kamara 19, Barnes 33 (*)

Average age = 24 years and 9 months. Everyone will have their own opinion on whether that average age is 'young', 'mid range' or 'ageing'. I would say it's the 'mid range' category. One things for sure, this current first team squad is NOT ......'very young' as so many people seem to continually state.    

* You seem to want to exclude said player for some reason??!! 

Mean age: 24 and 9

Median age 23

66% of the squad 25 or under 

25% of the squad 30 or over

But perhaps most significantly of all. The squad has a younger average age than this season. 
image.thumb.png.7fef1f05f561b12096a49ecbbb85d8b2.png

Let’s assume that your definition of ‘average age’ is accepted. Clearly being in the top 5 youthful squads this season, with likely a similar position next, your ‘average’ assumes a maximum of 4 teams can be classed as ‘young’. Unless no championship is really young? 

Maybe, as we have premier league aspirations we should judge our youthfulness based on premier league sides. See below. Oops, we seem to be in the top of that measure as well.

image.thumb.png.9c69806207f1a4c10a4351d6ddcfb2b4.png

Good effort though 

Edited by SwearyCanary
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SwearyCanary said:

Mean age: 24 and 9

Median age 23

66% of the squad 25 or under 

25% of the squad 30 or over

But perhaps most significantly of all. The squad has a younger average age than this season. 
image.thumb.png.7fef1f05f561b12096a49ecbbb85d8b2.png

Let’s assume that your definition of ‘average age’ is accepted. Clearly being in the top 5 youthful squads this season, with likely a similar position next, your ‘average’ assumes a maximum of 4 teams can be classed as ‘young’. Unless no championship is really young? 

Maybe, as we have premier league aspirations we should judge our youthfulness based on premier league sides. See below. Oops, we seem to be in the top of that measure as well.

image.thumb.png.9c69806207f1a4c10a4351d6ddcfb2b4.png

Good effort though 

As was yours!

It will be interesting to see how the squad shapes up at the end of the summer window I'm sure you will agree in terms of age and experience. Good discussion though. High Fives in order!

• Like 1

After hearing Webbers comments about Ashley Barnes being asked to help develop the young strikers we have in the squad & needing more experience in the group then I think this points to the new signing potentially being Tom Ince and him being asked to do similar with the young wingers we have as well as adding quality & depth himself. Think this would be a good signing for us tbh 

There is part of me wondering "could we have a peak Vinny Jones in our midfield now just for the lols?"

But I do think that's the kind of hard-bitten tw-at the team could use in the middle of the park.

17 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

There is part of me wondering "could we have a peak Vinny Jones in our midfield now just for the lols?"

We need a leader that isn't afraid of getting in to the lads when they fall asleep and start hitting stray/lazy balls for sure.  I think Vinny would've murdered someone if he had to endure the last season though!

What blows my mind is when you see someone small like Will Hughes for palace be so dominating in midfield, looking so strong and popping up in the right places.  I was looking at Pritchard in the playoffs and find myself thinking how these smaller players can hold their own better than some of our bigger players and it's a little mind boggling.

It's a mentality that we need to build here, and I'm not sure how you can recruit to bring that into the club as a lot of these players may be responding to the dynamic of their supporters and atmosphere that surrounds the club.  We're a family club looking for a Vinny Jones figure - and somehow we need to meet in the middle.

Where you find them for a few mil however, not so sure, don't watch enough outside of us to know the market.  Prime Brad Johnson would be ideal for me, as he seemed to fit the club and brought the right level of physicality in the center.

Edited by Google Bot

Rumour on the other board that the signing is from Bournemouth.

Ben Pearson perhaps? Holding midfielder. Horrible to play against so for that reason I’d be reasonably pleased. All speculation though. 

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Ben Pearson perhaps? Holding midfielder. Horrible to play against so for that reason I’d be reasonably pleased. All speculation though. 

Ooh, wasn’t he public enemy no1 when we played them a couple of years ago….

1 minute ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yes. Sort of player you hate when on the other team but love when on yours I think. I may have imagined it but fairly sure he played against us for Stoke towards the end of the season. Possibly on loan there?

8 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Just watching the Stoke highlights to remember him, and he was the one that nearly broke the back of our net.

Watching those highlights he's very regimented and covers defenders well, could be decent.  He's not all that exciting for me, but that's kinda what we need in a way.

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes. Sort of player you hate when on the other team but love when on yours I think. I may have imagined it but fairly sure he played against us for Stoke towards the end of the season. Possibly on loan there?

Yes he did although a quiet game by his standards, well at least in terms of kicking our players.

He'd be a decent signing and better than what we have now.

19 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Indeed - could be the sort of player we need and have been missing, doing the dirty work while the creatives get on with their thing.

Pearson is fine but that's about all he is, maybe if it's a loan but I don't see the point in paying money to sign him. It feels a bit like Hayden 2.0 though.

25 minutes ago, repman said:

Pearson is fine but that's about all he is, maybe if it's a loan but I don't see the point in paying money to sign him. It feels a bit like Hayden 2.0 though.

Well if he plays he’s already a massive improvement on Hayden! I don’t mind if it’s someone else but we just desperately need this type of player to add some steel and structure to our side. 

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

if its from bournemouth it will be a player on a free. lerma, stacey and stanislas all out of contract. itll be one of them

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Indeed - could be the sort of player we need and have been missing, doing the dirty work while the creatives get on with their thing.

Yep. We need a proper cnut in front of our back four who can also pass.

20 hours ago, tsj1999 said:

if its from bournemouth it will be a player on a free. lerma, stacey and stanislas all out of contract. itll be one of them

Can't see it being Lerma, but I'd be delighted if it was.

21 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

Yep, he got Giannoulis sent off.

8 minutes ago, baldy09 said:

Heard the new coach could be  SANDERSONS- 😄

Joan was good in the room with a view...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Pearson_(footballer)

In July 2019 Pearson spoke about his on-field disciplinary problems, including 14 bookings and 3 sendings off in the 2018–19 season, which has seen his mother stop watching him play🙄

Go on Mum, give it another go. All children deserve a second chance. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Troy Deeney has just been released by Birmingham.

Just our type of player - 35 years old, 11 goals in 2 seasons.

What's not to like?

Edited by Making Plans
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Pearson_(footballer)

In July 2019 Pearson spoke about his on-field disciplinary problems, including 14 bookings and 3 sendings off in the 2018–19 season, which has seen his mother stop watching him play🙄

Go on Mum, give it another go. All children deserve a second chance. 

Hes a violent toad and I don't really want him here to be honest

19 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

iql333gsyn891.jpg

VERY GOOD BY YOUR STANDARDS YOUNG MAN 

• Haha 1