daly

National Anthem today at CR

Nice to see the respect given to the National Anthem today by the majority of NCFC fans compared to the the response by the SCUM Liverpool crowd on MOTD Saturday 

Respect to our fans

• Like 7

Although not sung with gusto the anthem was well respected and received warm applause, more than what the players got.

I suspect the difference in sectarian loyalty between Glasgow Rangers and Liverpool FC is not fully understood by all.

• Like 5

I loved the rendition of you’ll never walk alone at the coronation concert last night, I know it was pre planned months ago but still hilarious.

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not a bad effort over in Scotland either..

You do know who Golding is, surely?

I sat down and did not sing. That’s my level of what I regard respectful protest. Respecting the rights of others that chose to sing.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Probably should be in non-football for the responses that will undoubtedly follow.

Personally, I am straight down the line. Don't care. I love we live in a democratic country with freedom of expression that allows people to voice their opposition to monarchy if that is their belief. We don't have to agree with it, but we can admire that people are able to do so without the repercussions of being bludgeoned by heavy handed thugs and sent to a gulag. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

I loved the rendition of you’ll never walk alone at the coronation concert last night, I know it was pre planned months ago but still hilarious.

Hilarious, but not very good.

3 minutes ago, Herman said:

Yes, he's a **** but sadly the video he posted is the best quality one I can find so

Edit: Nevermind found another

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Hilarious, but not very good.

True, I thought Bocelli sounded fine but Terfel sounded like his voice had completely gone…although so did a few of the performers to be fair, most were way past their heyday.

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should be Rule Britania and we all know it. Ok, ok maybe Jerusalem..

I mean both would be pretty controversial in modern times lol

• Like 2

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Should be Rule Britania and we all know it. Ok, ok maybe Jerusalem..

There's a stronger argument for Jerusalem than Rule Britannia (especially as Scotland/Wales use their own anthems, so the idea of going with a potential anthem for "Britannia" makes me think it could be skew-whiff). I'm not a big fan of either of those two either, frankly.

If the lyrics of Men of Harlech were changed from Cambria to something else, I'd pick that all day long, personally speaking.

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

So what? He was just reporting the patriotic, pro British Rangers fans supporting the National Anthem (even though its crap!). The fact that PG reported ii is totally irrelevant.

The pre match OTBC was observed respectfully, sung with more gusto and from the heart. As it should be. It's why we're there.

Edited by nutty nigel
💛⚽💚

28 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It really is a crap anthem, isn't it?

It very much is. 

I stood and respected it, but didn't sing.

53 minutes ago, daly said:

Nice to see the respect given to the National Anthem today by the majority of NCFC fans compared to the the response by the SCUM Liverpool crowd on MOTD Saturday 

Respect to our fans

You do know that the Republic's anti-monarchy campaign asked everyone supporting them to wear yellow, don't you?

Edited by Pyro Pete
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

There's a stronger argument for Jerusalem than Rule Britannia (especially as Scotland/Wales use their own anthems, so the idea of going with a potential anthem for "Britannia" makes me think it could be skew-whiff). I'm not a big fan of either of those two either, frankly.

If the lyrics of Men of Harlech were changed from Cambria to something else, I'd pick that all day long, personally speaking.

Jerusalem is officially used for England Cricket I believe.

Men of Harlech is a fantastic anthem, but it’s been heavily associated with Wales for the best part of a century despite its English roots.

Land of hope and glory is the popular choice, but a bit too god focussed IMO, not that I’m that bothered personally even as an atheist.

Personally given the obvious choices I’d go with I vow to the my country. Superb piece of music from one of history’s greatest composers, for the most part poignant and timeless lyrics and while it’s referencing heaven it’s open enough you can take a different interpretation and just enjoy the message IMO. Be fun and timely to have a national anthem where the lyrics were focussed on peace.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Jerusalem is officially used for England Cricket I believe.

Men of Harlech is a fantastic anthem, but it’s been heavily associated with Wales for the best part of a century despite its English roots.

Land of hope and glory is the popular choice, but a bit too god focussed IMO, not that I’m that bothered personally even as an atheist.

Personally given the obvious choices I’d go with I vow to the my country. Superb piece of music from one of history’s greatest composers, for the most part poignant and timeless lyrics and while it’s referencing heaven it’s open enough you can take a different interpretation and just enjoy the message IMO. Be fun and timely to have a national anthem where the lyrics were focussed on peace.

Completely agree. Vow to Thee My Country would get my vote. Music by a British composer, words by a British diplomat.

34 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Jerusalem's, "England's green and pleasant land" might rile the colonies. But then the current anthem does contain a verse about crushing Scots.

All in all, we have one of the ****test national anthems in the world.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Pyro Pete said:

This is what Liverpool fans were chanting. Not exactly monsters, are they?

I mean I’m not sure you need to **** the royals to feed the poor, be an interesting reality show though, bet Netflix would pick it up.

1 minute ago, Monty13 said:

I mean I’m not sure you need to **** the royals to feed the poor, be an interesting reality show though, bet Netflix would pick it up.

Heh. It would.

You know full well that funding for food banks was cut and diverted to Coronation celebrations.

1 hour ago, daly said:

Respect to our fans

Wasn't the scum fans' fault

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Completely agree. Vow to Thee My Country would get my vote. Music by a British composer, words by a British diplomat.

Jerusalem's, "England's green and pleasant land" might rile the colonies. But then the current anthem does contain a verse about crushing Scots.

All in all, we have one of the ****test national anthems in the world.

It's not even the best national anthem with that tune.

(Liechtenstein has the same tune, just different lyrics).

51 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

So what? He was just reporting the patriotic, pro British Rangers fans supporting the National Anthem (even though its crap!). The fact that PG reported ii is totally irrelevant.

He's a ****ing nazi. Quite literally, not Godwin style. ****.

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Not a bad effort over in Scotland either..

Do you ever check the sources for your posts?