Sign in to follow this  
Ken Hairy

Dowell, Byram and McGovern leaving

13 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

McGovern surprised me, maybe he wanted to go back home? Does open up the question of how the young goalies are developing.

It just means that Krul can take that position and perhaps become part of the coaching too?  I think that makes the most sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

It just means that Krul can take that position and perhaps become part of the coaching too?  I think that makes the most sense.

Krul's one of our highest-paid players though, unless I'm mistaken. Would think a highly-paid number two would be a prime target for moving on unless his contract has been rejigged.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Would think a highly-paid number two would be a prime target for moving on unless his contract has been rejigged.

Like I say, he could be player/coach and the wage isn't an issue then when you consider you don't need to be paying someone like McGovern to sit on a bench.

I don't think we'd release McGovern unless we knew Krul was staying.  As he'd deserve a big send off too rather than just disappearing over summer.

Edited by Google Bot

Just now, Google Bot said:

Like I say, he could be player/coach and the wage isn't an issue then when you consider you don't need to be paying someone like McGovern to sit on a bench.

That depends how much McGovern was paid, and I thoroughly doubt he was a big earner (although let's face it, we're both guessing re. their wages).

I like the idea of Krul becoming a goalie coach with us, but if he really is one of our highest-paid players then what we save on having a coach may still be lost and then some if his wages are that high. 

3 hours ago, duke63 said:

We need a new influx of players. No point leaving players with dubious injury records in the squad.

Leaves room for us to sign other injury prone players on  the cheap

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Krul's one of our highest-paid players though, unless I'm mistaken. Would think a highly-paid number two would be a prime target for moving on unless his contract has been rejigged.

We can’t afford to keep Krul.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I don't think we'd release McGovern unless we knew Krul was staying.  As he'd deserve a big send off too rather than just disappearing over summer.

You can't make decisions on who to keep/sell based on whether they deserve a big send off.

We can't say 'Krul is off' right now as he has a contract for another year. But if anyone wants to take him we should bite their hands off based on his reported wages and how bad he looked a few months ago. Would it be nice to give him a nice round of applause? Sure. But if we can't then we can't. 

It will be interesting to see who goes up via the play offs and whether they might have eyes on Krul? 

43 minutes ago, king canary said:

I too can pull numbers out of the sky. 

Good for you 👍 ( I would find that difficult) . I phoned up webber and he said try google   because that's what I do for all my answers.1🙃😂. WEBBER said Sky was unreliable  information. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy said:

Club loyalty is one thing but as far as I am concerned McGovern has just been taking the p***S.
42 appearances in 7years.
Bloody disgraceful Apart from having to get up in the morning and go to the gym to keep fit,what the hell has he achieved in 7 years.He might as well have been on the dole

Yeah! Why do we even have a bench? If the best 11 players aren’t good enough to play every game all season then they’re not worth having. If we can’t manage a season with at most 13 players in the squad then it’s just more evidence of the mess Webber is making.

BOOOO!!!!

4 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Good for you 👍 ( I would find that difficult) . I phoned up webber and he said try google   because that's what I do for all my answers.1🙃😂. WEBBER said Sky was unreliable  information. 

Probably a bit too sarcy so apologies for that.

But there is no way McGovern is on £17k! His last contract extension was when he was already 3rd choice.

• Thanks 1

On our goalkeepers I've just done an analysis (see the Unofficial and official transfer thread) of the squad (1st team and U21's) left after the releases announced today and 11 out of a total of 46 are goalkeepers! Sure most are under 20, but Krul can probably justify his large salary if he does a lot of coaching of these young guys, it does seem like we are carrying on trying to be a centre of excellence for goalkeeping in the Academy. I appreciate that quite a few of these youngsters will be loaned out as in other seasons; maybe Krul becomes some kind of Goalkeeper loans mentor as well?

• Like 1

Unfortunately it’s a much needed clear out.

even when fully fit any of those mentioned didn’t set the league alight.  And that wasn’t very often was it !

We need a good clear out and pretty much start again . But the worry is of course is if the recruiting team are up to it because based on the last two campaigns I would argue they are not.

Al I can say is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD and there should be alot more following them - ie Idah- gibson- Krul 

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

I keep thinking about this.. and it wouldn't surprised me to see Krul sold to Man united, like a Greeno - Chelsea sort of deal. 

5 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

I keep thinking about this.. and it wouldn't surprised me to see Krul sold to Man united, like a Greeno - Chelsea sort of deal. 

I've wondered about Newcastle. They do have Dubravka and Karius, granted, but Krul has the double advantage of being club-grown so for squad management would be advantageous over either.

He's also a Geordie at heart. Makes sense for a lot of parties to chuck 2-3m to us.

1 hour ago, Bigbrenn said:

It will be interesting to see who goes up via the play offs and whether they might have eyes on Krul? 

I can't see it. He's not good enough to be a number one, and too expensive on his current wage to be a number two.

25 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

I've wondered about Newcastle. They do have Dubravka and Karius, granted, but Krul has the double advantage of being club-grown so for squad management would be advantageous over either.

He's also a Geordie at heart. Makes sense for a lot of parties to chuck 2-3m to us.

Yeah, I've said this a couple of times. I doubt they'd even need to offer us any money; I'm sure we'd be happy to save £2m a year on wages.

Dowell at 25 leaving on a free doesn't really make sense, I'd have him above Onel all day long.

Still it is what it is and we have to rebuild. Hopefully it will start from the top too 

7 hours ago, duke63 said:

We need a new influx of players. No point leaving players with dubious injury records in the squad.

This 👍

45 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Dowell at 25 leaving on a free doesn't really make sense, I'd have him above Onel all day long.

Still it is what it is and we have to rebuild. Hopefully it will start from the top too 

As I've said already - takes two to renew. Maybe we wanted both Byram and Dowell to stay but on reduced deals and they've both had indications from clubs elsewhere they will match or even improve on their current offer? Maybe they simply want to leave? Maybe we have decided not to renew with their injury records? Dowell may have had this interest from Rangers in a while and fancies the prospect of playing for a club in Europe?

Simple fact is, we don't know why they are leaving and on whose instigation. Could be any number of reasons.

20 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I always think comments like this are a bit stupid. It takes two to renew, and much like with Teemu, there could well have been a contract on the table for Kieron that he has chosen to reject.

I know it's fashionable to blame the club, but it's not always the club's fault.

Not to mention people will say Byram is a good player but has hardly played and exactly the same can be said of Dowell.

You can't build a team around a player only available for 1 in 3 at best. Wagner saw exactly that, and questioned his ability/desire to tackle and track back - something quite a number of people on here said regularly.

• Like 1