Sign in to follow this  
pinkun_admin

Messageboard access - Pinkun site subscription

10 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Talking of which, I tried following the above instructions with respect to  the ‘My Account’ part of the Pinkun+ app.

Two observations :-

There’s no ‘Link my [Apple/Google] subscription’ button.

The ‘Manage Subscription’ returns a 404 error within the app.

Same here! And to cap it all I was back to a Bad Request message for the first time in three months! Here we go again ...

• Like 2

Just now, shefcanary said:

Same here! And to cap it all I was back to a Bad Request message for the first time in three months! Here we go again ...

I open everything pinkun related in incognito mode in case this happens again.  It's not a great look for a paid service is it.

3 hours ago, PeteRaven said:

Overreaction? On the Pinkun forum? 😏

The site is just following the same business model plan as all other NewsQuest sites. Fortunately they’ve realised they can’t charge for what is essentially user generated content so nothing to worry about with regards to this message board. 

I’ve always been curious about the impact of GDPR and the associated data retention policy regarding both old messages and users, especially those who didn’t rejoin after the 2018 revisions to the site, half expecting a “cull” at some point. 

27 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

I open everything pinkun related in incognito mode in case this happens again.  It's not a great look for a paid service is it.

Can you do that within the app though?

25 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

Can you do that within the app though?

Don't think you can, I was speaking more on the service as a whole.

15 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Two threads about this, can we stick to one ?

I nominate this , the original one posted yesterday by the site owners , for self tech support, and the other one for yellow-skies thinking about what it all means

Edited by GenerationA47

14 hours ago, pinkun_admin said:

Good morning

From later today (Weds May 3) the Pinkun web site will start to prompt users to register and subscribe for access to content. 

This is the next phase in the strategy that commenced with the launch of the Pinkun+ app in December 2021.

Access and use of this messageboard will remain as it is now, irrespective of whether you are a subscriber to the web site or the app.

More details right here: https://twitter.com/pinkun/status/1653640536845058049?s=20

Thank you

The cache issue has basically stopped me reading the main site, so I can access the message board more easily...

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Serious question - what does it mean about clearing out my cache?

You did ask, so I will try and help! No doubt others will correct my limited knowledge.

Whichever browser you use, the software keeps a "memory" of which sites you visited in a browser history (the "cache") ostensibly so if you forget what exactly you were looking at in terms of a web-site address that interested you because you just clicked on pictures etc., you can just go to your browser cache or history in the settings dropdown of your browser and find it quickly. This cache (which is effectively stored on your computer linked to your browser software) consists of a lot of data, depending on how much browsing you do. For instance on the Messageboard, each time you visit a topic a copy of that visit is stored within your browser's cache. So when Norwich lose and there are 20 new topics created and you visit them all, you will have a memory of those 20 pages in your cache. As Norwich have lost a lot this season, if you do not clear your cache regularly then there will be thousands of such topics stored within your cache.

The cache is also used as a short cut so when you start to type in the name of a site you have visited before you will see an address come up automatically that looks like what you were looking for. However in reality it will simply be the page of that site you were last looking at as it was then!

The cache also may carry what are termed cookies, bits of software embedded in their pages which companies use to track your browsing habits and allow them to target you with adverts through some web-sites. When you open the Pink'un web-site this is why you seem to get adverts popping up on the site for something you were just looking at on Argos for example, or Jet2 holidays if you have just been thinking of booking a holiday. You can of course stop picking up such cookies, web-sites now have to ask you whether you allow them to transfer cookies to your computer. 

These cookies are important because they can work in such a way that if you visit certain news outlets (well most nowadays), these cookies send a message to allow adverts that you are likely to be interested in (as deemed by your browser history) to pop up in areas of the web page set aside by the web-site for this purpose. The web-site earns a small fee for this, but not as much as for adverts they have arranged themselves. 

The Pink'Un website has been built in such a way that they prefer you to see adverts that they actually receive a good rate for - the local adverts they mention in the advice. For this reason there is currently a conflict where people with lots of browsing history access the Pink'Un site as they have tried to prevent this browsing cache from allowing adverts from your previous viewings getting in the way of their local adverts, thus reducing their income. Unfortunately it is not written quite right so it just stops you accessing the site altogether, unless you get rid of all the additional cache and cookies, because it senses you may have been to so many other web-sites that their own adverts will not get shown (the "click through"). Then you will get the dreaded "Bad Request". This can be easily fixed by the web-site developer with a few lines of code but hasn't for some reason. 

With the new subscriber set up, there is also a subtle change of the web-site address, so that when you launch Pink'Un Messageboard from your browser, if you start to type in Pink'Un for instance, it will use a previous shortcut in its cache which finds the old address you have been visiting, rather than the new one. Thus you will not see the new site, but the old one that is for non-subscribers. Clearing your cache should ensure you get through to the new site.

Given the financial woes of Newsquest you would think any access is better than no access, they still do get income from the generic adverts linked to your browsing that appear on their site, just not as much as with adverts they have arranged themselves.

In summary, clearing your cache or browser history is one way of being more in control of your browsing. It should reduce unwanted distractions. On the downside it does mean you will need to have lots more "favourites" pinned to your browsers tool bar if you do not want to have to type in the full address or "google search" each time. 

AI of course will probably render all this useless in 6 months time!

• Thanks 1

So...

Does clearing browsing history clear the cache, or do I need to do something else?

* I just read post again. Got it 👍

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow

Just now, Wings of a Sparrow said:

So...

Does clearing browsing history clear the cache, or do I need to do something else?

Yes, ... (hopefully. But you might already have been infected by a malware cookie that stops this ... but that's a whole other story.)

10 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Could someone translate this into English for me please? 

We need your money.

• Haha 1

If its like the Evening news -its almost transparent  2 pages of news and the rest adverts- it wont be long before its gone to the wall !

2 hours ago, shefcanary said:

Yes, ... (hopefully. But you might already have been infected by a malware cookie that stops this ... but that's a whole other story.)

Thank you for the detailed, and very informative explanation.

I seem to remember that the last time I cleared my browsing history and cookies, I had problems with my regular sites that I visit, like internet banking.

I'll just keep clicking on my Google icon until something changes.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, shefcanary said:

You did ask, so I will try and help! No doubt others will correct my limited knowledge.

Whichever browser you use, the software keeps a "memory" of which sites you visited in a browser history (the "cache") ostensibly so if you forget what exactly you were looking at in terms of a web-site address that interested you because you just clicked on pictures etc., you can just go to your browser cache or history in the settings dropdown of your browser and find it quickly. This cache (which is effectively stored on your computer linked to your browser software) consists of a lot of data, depending on how much browsing you do. For instance on the Messageboard, each time you visit a topic a copy of that visit is stored within your browser's cache. So when Norwich lose and there are 20 new topics created and you visit them all, you will have a memory of those 20 pages in your cache. As Norwich have lost a lot this season, if you do not clear your cache regularly then there will be thousands of such topics stored within your cache.

The cache is also used as a short cut so when you start to type in the name of a site you have visited before you will see an address come up automatically that looks like what you were looking for. However in reality it will simply be the page of that site you were last looking at as it was then!

The cache also may carry what are termed cookies, bits of software embedded in their pages which companies use to track your browsing habits and allow them to target you with adverts through some web-sites. When you open the Pink'un web-site this is why you seem to get adverts popping up on the site for something you were just looking at on Argos for example, or Jet2 holidays if you have just been thinking of booking a holiday. You can of course stop picking up such cookies, web-sites now have to ask you whether you allow them to transfer cookies to your computer. 

These cookies are important because they can work in such a way that if you visit certain news outlets (well most nowadays), these cookies send a message to allow adverts that you are likely to be interested in (as deemed by your browser history) to pop up in areas of the web page set aside by the web-site for this purpose. The web-site earns a small fee for this, but not as much as for adverts they have arranged themselves. 

The Pink'Un website has been built in such a way that they prefer you to see adverts that they actually receive a good rate for - the local adverts they mention in the advice. For this reason there is currently a conflict where people with lots of browsing history access the Pink'Un site as they have tried to prevent this browsing cache from allowing adverts from your previous viewings getting in the way of their local adverts, thus reducing their income. Unfortunately it is not written quite right so it just stops you accessing the site altogether, unless you get rid of all the additional cache and cookies, because it senses you may have been to so many other web-sites that their own adverts will not get shown (the "click through"). Then you will get the dreaded "Bad Request". This can be easily fixed by the web-site developer with a few lines of code but hasn't for some reason. 

With the new subscriber set up, there is also a subtle change of the web-site address, so that when you launch Pink'Un Messageboard from your browser, if you start to type in Pink'Un for instance, it will use a previous shortcut in its cache which finds the old address you have been visiting, rather than the new one. Thus you will not see the new site, but the old one that is for non-subscribers. Clearing your cache should ensure you get through to the new site.

Given the financial woes of Newsquest you would think any access is better than no access, they still do get income from the generic adverts linked to your browsing that appear on their site, just not as much as with adverts they have arranged themselves.

In summary, clearing your cache or browser history is one way of being more in control of your browsing. It should reduce unwanted distractions. On the downside it does mean you will need to have lots more "favourites" pinned to your browsers tool bar if you do not want to have to type in the full address or "google search" each time. 

AI of course will probably render all this useless in 6 months time!

Wow, very good shef  I was impressed with your explanations. I thought at one point I was about to endure one of Parma Ham's gone mouldy,  War and Peace, episodes , but you kept it simple and I wasn't forced into looking up the dictionary 😉. Good read shef ,  thanks for your efforts.

In the words of Aristotle:

It is a great thing, indeed, to make a proper use of the poetical forms, as also of compounds and strange words. But the greatest thing by far is to be a master of metaphor. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others; and it is also a sign of genius, since a good metaphor implies an intuitive perception of the similarity in dissimilars.

Thoughts for the day.😂🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pinkun reporting that we are selling Omo and Max which they have read in the Telegraph ! This is wrong on so many levels . The club should allow local journos access. The local journos shouldn’t have to compile their content from reading the National press! 

28 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Wow, very good shef  I was impressed with your explanations. I thought at one point I was about to endure one of Parma Ham's gone mouldy,  War and Peace, episodes , but you kept it simple and I wasn't forced into looking up the dictionary 😉. Good read shef ,  thanks for your efforts.

I

Really? He lost me straight away at "browser".🤩

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The local journos shouldn’t have to compile their content from reading the National press! 

To be fair the club would never have told anyone that anyway, this would be info that's leaked from agents and such hearsay - the pinkun don't have anywhere near the reach of the nationals who will be piecing info from any number of contacts around the world.

Basically it means eventually you'll pay to read every article that won't criticise the club because we don't want to lose access so we can publish more stories that don't criticise the club so we don't lose access so we can publish more articles that you pay for that don't criticise the club and it's ownership.

I can't see anything wrong with this business model.

I have really enjoyed the pinkun plus app this season but the issues with the app are ridiculous. That article looks like a Chinese translated manual and please do get in touch with their app support. Just because their responses are hilarious. Luckily, I don’t think it actually has anything to do with the Pinkun and has been farmed out somewhere. Not useful for actual help though.

I never begrudged paying £2 a month for the content but £3 seems quite steep. Maybe the £1 a month subscription to the athletic might be worth a try going forward when the offer is on again.

On a side note I once downloaded an extension for Firefox once, which I think was called lightspeed. It shows all the advertising in a nice spider diagram. The Pinkun website looked like a New Year’s Eve firework display. Millions of data scraping ads with weirdly a whole bunch going to Russia. Hopefully the new model means the ads are slightly more “local”.

Edited by Techie Canary
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Pinkun reporting that we are selling Omo and Max which they have read in the Telegraph ! This is wrong on so many levels . The club should allow local journos access. The local journos shouldn’t have to compile their content from reading the National press! 

That lays firmly at the door of the two members of the Leeds Utd Supporters Club employed at Carrow Road.

14 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

That's not a recent development. The local press haven't had a clue what's going on with transfers for several years. They've resorted to searching national press and international media for a long time. On a couple of occasions they've even picked up things posted on this forum. 

Norwich City likes to keep its transfer business quiet until it's done. 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

16 hours ago, Mengo said:

It is a great thing, indeed, to make a proper use of the poetical forms, as also of compounds and strange words. But the greatest thing by far is to be a master of metaphor. It is the one thing that cannot be learnt from others; and it is also a sign of genius, since a good metaphor implies an intuitive perception of the similarity in dissimilars.

Thoughts for the day.😂🙃

Too kind Mengo, thanks, simplicity of thought was what I was trained in back in the day! I could have turned it into a powerpoint show, which is what I used to do at work, but death by powerpoint was one of the reasons I took early retirement! 😉 

PS: I do like Parma's long pieces though, a very intellectual challenge, I usually have to re-read them two or three times to truly understand them, but its good for stimulating the old grey matter!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mengo said:

Thoughts for the day.😂🙃

TL:DR

Parma

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

TL:DR

"too long; didn't read"😂🙃oh yes , I read your war and peace. Very informative as always. Your next job is waiting for you . SD at Norwich City.  I've sent Winnie and Delia the email. Be prepared.

Good luck 👍 with the interview ,  keep it simple though. 

TL;DR  (semi colon). Disco Dales my teacher will have to confirm if I'm correct with this.