I would like to see Everton relegated. But whoever goes down will make it much more difficult for NCFC to get promotion. 

Unforetanely we Will have a few seasons of mid table before we either click and get promoted, or more likely drop a division. 

1 minute ago, yellow_belly said:

I would like to see Everton relegated. But whoever goes down will make it much more difficult for NCFC to get promotion. 

Unforetanely we Will have a few seasons of mid table before we either click and get promoted, or more likely drop a division. 

Yeah it does feel like there isn't any absolute messes in the League this year. With 5 games to go every team has more points than either us or Watford managed last season. 

I do have a sneaky hope that one of the relegated teams will at least help us out by poaching McKenna from Ipswich. Southampton maybe? 

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I just think the squad is strong but also not stuffed to the gills with journeymen who'll jump ship straight away. There is no way they should be in a relegation battle really.

Even if next season they lose Tielemans, Maddison, Barnes and Ndidi they still have about 20 players that walk into every Championship first XI. 

No doubt the present squad should be easily top half. Maybe they’d have more than enough to go straight back up. I personally have everything crossed it’s the start of a major decline. 

Teams coming down look frightening for next season, plus a now resurrected Ipswich who certainly won't be a 6 point guarantee next season. Teams like Forest spending huge money and could still go down. Leicester, Everton, Southampton all have way stronger squads than us. Football needs to get a grip of this financial gap or it could all implode sooner than we think.

Well nobody else has mentioned it, but some of "oldies" have looked forwards to this since 1985!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Well nobody else has mentioned it, but some of "oldies" have looked forwards to this since 1985!

Everton down and Coventry up? That would excite a few on here. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

They're done. Seems their fans now see Godfrey as I always did - a good athlete but terrible footballer. He's never a PL centre half and is indicative of their dreadful transfer policy over the past few years. I quite like the club though so won't be that pleased they're going down. They're much preferable to the red half of Liverpool. 

Agree with everything you said... I'm still amazed we got a full £20 million for Godfrey back in 2020, couldn't believe our luck at the time. And this transfer took place after he was a key player in the dreadful defensive line that cost us dearly and got us relegated. This was back when we had a young(er) Pukki up front, along with an on form Cantwell linking up brilliantly with Buendia now and then...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ÅlandicCanary said:

Agree with everything you said... I'm still amazed we got a full £20 million for Godfrey back in 2020, couldn't believe our luck at the time. And this transfer took place after he was a key player in the dreadful defensive line that cost us dearly and got us relegated. This was back when we had a young(er) Pukki up front, along with an on form Cantwell linking up brilliantly with Buendia now and then...

Yep you're spot on. His top flight record now reads:

Relegated - conceded 75

10th - conceded 48

16th - conceded 66

Relegated (probably) - conceded 50 so far.

In that time he hasn't scored a single goal either.

We completely had their pants down. Credit to Webber for that one - he absolutely mugged them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Starr said:

Teams coming down look frightening for next season, plus a now resurrected Ipswich who certainly won't be a 6 point guarantee next season.

Definitely, will be a very tough season.

But you don't play these teams every week, so consistency throughout is key, as it always will be in this league.

Don't forget that we walked 20/21 season under Farke, and lost vs Bournemouth and Watford home and away and there was still 10 points between us and 3rd.

Edited by Google Bot

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I was just scrolling through this thread to make that comment - still not forgiven them for that... I don't hold grudges, but finally after 38 years....🤣

• Like 1

Everton going down likely to be the only bright spot in this depressing season.

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Don't forget that we walked 20/21 season under Farke, and lost vs Bournemouth and Watford home and away and there was still 10 points between us and 3rd.

We lost Dimi to a red card in the Bournemouth game at Carrow Road.

The only real reason that I mention this is that I have always considered our play and dominance over the Cherries before the sending off was possibly the best possible exhibition of Farkeball ever. We were superb in what was considered a tough fixture. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

The only real reason that I mention this is that I have always considered our play and dominance over the Cherries before the sending off was possibly the best possible exhibition of Farkeball ever. We were superb in what was considered a tough fixture. 

I'd just about forgotten about that that injustice...

10 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Of course, but I wasn't pointing at specifics of how, why or if we should've lost.

My point is even if there's 2-3 "Better" teams, you still only play them twice - and in 20/21 we walked the league despite being beaten by the 'big fish' home and away in the same season.

This league is about consistency and beating the minnows, something we look a million miles from currently. 😞

Edited by Google Bot

They will just do what Newcastle did and sell For high amounts and replace them with excellent standard champs players. Can’t see Everton having any struggle in the championship.

5 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Thats what i liked about Farke , he seemed to squeeze every last bit out of the squad, which kinda made us flat track bullies in the Champs.... the downside of course was that we got rolled most weeks in the prem because of our style of play ( or, more accurately  the players carrying out that style). 

7 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Can’t see Everton having any struggle in the championship.

Particularly as their special measures on signings will no longer apply.

• Like 1

Well if you fancy Ipswich to do well then you have to say the same of Plymouth.

Southampton look doomed and might be dark horses for next season. With the exception of Ward-Prowse I don't see them losing too many of their squad.

Everton will have to sell as would Leicester.

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Not sure I agree with that.

Ipswich will be coming up with greater resources to add to their squad. Plymouth I imagine won't be spending much, Ipswich spent more than the other 23 teams in League One combined last year and I imagine they'll spend again if they confirm promotion.

35 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Southampton look doomed and might be dark horses for next season. With the exception of Ward-Prowse I don't see them losing too many of their squad.

Everton will have to sell as would Leicester.

We didn’t lose many of ours and look at the state of it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Yes, that red card was particularly galling because their player essentially got Dimi sent off by his reaction and I've seen the same sort of challenge a few times since then and never has it resulted in a sending off.

Before the sending off we looked total class and comfortably better than them, I think they ended up winning 3-1 which shows how fine the margins are at the top of the Champs.

That was the day I think we won promotion anyway due to other results but it would have been nice to celebrate it by beating them.

50 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

We didn’t lose many of ours and look at the state of it

I think Southampton with the right managerial appointment would be favourites to bounce back up. They've got a solid base of players who know this division or similar (Maitland-Niles, Walker-Peters, Adams, Armstrong x 2, Walcott), and some players who've flashed ability like Alcarez, Elyounossi and Aribo. Add in a generally strong academy and I think they'll be fine. 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

I think Southampton with the right managerial appointment would be favourites to bounce back up. They've got a solid base of players who know this division or similar (Maitland-Niles, Walker-Peters, Adams, Armstrong x 2, Walcott), and some players who've flashed ability like Alcarez, Elyounossi and Aribo. Add in a generally strong academy and I think they'll be fine. 

Can see Maitlsnd-Niles and Walker-Peters going. Definitely losing Ward-Prowse too. Recruitment as always makes all the difference and players acclimatising to the gash refereeing and scrappy slugfest of the Champs

It’s impossible to say who will do ok and who will struggle on relegation - this time last year everyone thought Burnley were definite to struggle, they had financial issues and a number of their squad left. They actually managed their close season well, signed several and got 4 decent loans in (something some here don’t like) and haven’t looked back after a slowish start.

For us getting comfortable wins  away at playoff contenders Coventry, Preston, Blackburn and Millwall suggests all is not wrong. Would having Hanley, Gibson, McLean and Dowell fit have made a difference ? Allowing to pick up the few points necessary to be in a play off place ? Much of the current frustration is seeing those games then seeing utterly abysmal performances as Swansea and 'Boro. The latter proving you do not need a massive change of players (as with Lambert 2009/10). Whereas these coming down will see a massive change in players. If the cubs have a relegation clause in their players contracts, it is likely many will head for the door. I expect another change of manager at Everton and West Ham. Maybe Leicester and S'ton will stick....until the autumn, irrespective of relegation.

We thought we would definitely lose some of our players and they never went; Aarons still here, Pukki has run down his contract, Cantwell practically did likewise. 

I would be surprised if Leicester were to hold on to Maddison and Tielemanns, but who know about the rest at any club really.