Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Why is this forum closed to new members?

I've been informed by somebody that this place is closed to new members. When people attempt to register an account they can fill out the details but are never sent an email to verify their email address, and so the account is never created. 

This appears to have been the case for months now.

This claim is supported by the newest member being an IT Admin account on March 16th.

521917513_itadmin.PNG.230f631274aadcad35e1bc100b6fd10f.PNG

The big question is....

Is this an intentional decision by Newsquest to halt new sign ups. Or is this some sort of technical issue that isn't on their radar?

Because if the former, that's somewhat concerning for Norwich fans, there's not really any other established forum outside of Facebook.

Are we all cool to pretend and play along that the new member who tried to join DEFINITELY wasn't TVB using a different email/device/IP etc, when they were worried they might lose their account permanently?

Just want us to all be on the same page.

• Haha 13

Wasnt the person who informed you able to tell you? 

Edited by Greavsy
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I've been informed by somebody that this place is closed to new members.

What alias were you gonna go for? GrantVanHooijdonk?

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, canarydan23 said:

Nothing worse than when two people do the same joke at the same time...

• Haha 1

I very much doubt if the site was to be disabled to new members, the owners would decide the best way to do that is to break the site email. Pretty sure they would just disable new registrations.

Likely to be a technical issue, or perhaps a problem with your spam @TeemuVanBasten?

25 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

I'll keep that to myself, its too good for somebody else to steal.

EDP behind a pay wall on line. 
Juronalists who love to write about swanky boozers. 
Tweets as upto date news items. 
This new lot that bought Archant are changing the gaurd. 
This forum is on its way to being monetised. 

• Thanks 2

Can you write in English.

edited,  but not hard to work out. Even for you.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, percy varco said:

EDP behind a pay wall on line. 
Juronalists who love to write about swanky boozers. 
Tweets as upto date news items. 
This new lot that bought Archant are changing the gaurd. 

This possibly makes sense, they'll put the forum behind the Pinkun paywall. Perhaps ties in with stopping new signups as you'd need to sign in via the app or whatever

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I've been informed by somebody that this place is closed to new members. When people attempt to register an account they can fill out the details but are never sent an email to verify their email address, and so the account is never created. 

The email could've just gone into your their junk/spam folder, perhaps?  Maybe if you clench your hand and draw some eyes along your index finger you can ask them to check?

1 hour ago, percy varco said:

I'd be for that -- It would put paid to a number of needless and annoying accounts/alter egos.

The extra revenue would hopefully improve this sites workings and fund the reportage/coverage of local football like it use to do. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

The email could've just gone into your their junk/spam folder, perhaps?  Maybe if you clench your hand and draw some eyes along your index finger you can ask them to check?

Do you really think this forum wouldn't have any new members for at least a month and a half considering the tension and toxicity surrounding Webber? And no new binners on a wind up? Come on, engage brain. 

Somebody with a spare email address can attempt to sign up and report back. I was genuinely told this by somebody after having a laugh about me being in the sin bin, I have since tried myself with an email address of mine and it didn't work. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

My dad never got a reply when he tried to sign up a while back. I suspect membership has been put on hold which they work out how we're going to be paying for it in the future. 

31410 members. Id guess maybe 10% have been active in the last year. They'll be removed first. Then we'll know something is up.

• Thanks 1

I've signed up with an alternate email on another brownser and got the confirmation email and validated it however I then get this so I'm now waiting. Considering IT issues don't get dealth with could be a wait

image.png.ca6817ccde0c0ab762fdf9e26f048ab9.png

1 minute ago, The Raptor said:

My dad never got a reply when he tried to sign up a while back. 

The person I refer to in my OP is my uncle, he's 65 and not the most tech savvy but reckons he's been trying for 3 to 4 months!

I then just used a spare email of mine to try and get him a username and password sorted out, but didn't work for me either.

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Do you really think this forum wouldn't have any new members for at least a month and a half considering the tension and toxicity surrounding Webber? And no new binners on a wind up? Come on, engage brain. 

Ok, brain engaged.....

Brain says that it was you trying it not a friend.....  🤖

Ok seriously, this could just be their mail server not working to deliver that email.  Which is a more reasonable explanation, if you wanted to stop new signups it's much easier to just disable the page than allow people to fill it in and secretly break it.

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Ok, brain engaged.....

Brain says that it was you trying it not a friend.....  🤖

Ok seriously, this could just be their mail server not working to deliver that email.  Which is a more reasonable explanation, if you wanted to stop new signups it's much easier to just disable the page than allow people to fill it in and secretly break it.

I don't need to create a new account for me, I've already got a spare. 

I did try after my uncle said he was having issues, wanted to see if I could create one for him and to see if there was a real issue. 

I think he may actually have had the same problem as kiwi... account never validated  by the admin. I didn't even manage to get that far.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

I think he may actually have had the same problem as kiwi... account never validated  by the admin. I didn't even manage to get that far.

Well, hopefully someone reads this and gets it sorted so you your uncle can set up a third new account.  

You will introduce us to him I hope? :classic_wink:

In the meantime have you seen this page - https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/online/&filter=filter_loggedin

You can spy on everyone and rub your legs...

• Haha 2

Google Bots link to the online members page actually shows the profile I created and I sent that profile a PM and got an email telling me about the DM, but since I'm not approved I cannot view it.

Since patience is not my virtue I've searched for every member who's admin or a mod and selected some

@pinkun_admin, @SouthwellC, @Paddy, @ITAdmin, @Barbie, @Adam Harvey

Edited by KiwiScot

My guess is they're not deliberately phasing out the site, they're just not bothering to maintain it (maybe they don't even employ staff with the relevant skills anymore).

The site has been broken for ages and there's clearly no interest in fixing it on the Newsquest side. Most people who click through to the forum from the main page will be hitting the "Bad Request" issue due to that oversized cookie anyway. I diagnosed the issue and attempted to contact pinkun staff about that multiple times but I got no response. It would be a 5 minute job. 

At some point the server will probably go down and it'll be gone. 

• Like 4

I remember under Chris Hughton this forum used to be world class it’s a shadow of what it once was, so many decent posters have stopped posting and it’s being taken over by wet woke warriors 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Well, hopefully someone reads this and gets it sorted so you your uncle can set up a third new account.  

You will introduce us to him I hope? :classic_wink:

In the meantime have you seen this page - https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/online/&filter=filter_loggedin

You can spy on everyone and rub your legs...

Of course, I'll be sure to introduce my uncle Boogle Got and auntie Bing I'm Not just as soon as account opening is fixed. 

• Thanks 1

A quick search by members, filtered by who joined in the last month, shows 22 newbies, albeit none of them has any content showing, which seems surprising. 

• Thanks 1