Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

23 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

WAIT, WE CAN CHANGE FONT SIZES AND COLOURS ON THIS? MARVELLOUS! 😄 

YOU'LL BE TELLING ME THE EMOTICONS WORK PROPERLY NEXT! 😄😄😄

Say this quietly, but the emoticons work fine on Firefox...

Though it would have been nice to have got Cannon in, I’ll be honest we have Sainz coming back who can play as a striker, we have Fassnacht who can play up top too, Rowe is a good shout as a forward big and fast, I’d much rather go with what we have than buy the likes of Lowe who I don’t think offers anything the guys I’ve mentioned can’t bring to the team if needed.

How times have changed, one injury to one player, Josh, and we get all this tactictical chit chat amid waiting to see if or not we get cover brought in...when we already have it, albeit no one  can do exactly what Josh does. Gone are the days when City had an injury during a match and only had Supersub Trevor Howard to bring on..players were shunted around but all we needed was 11 on the pitch...and to think these days we have a bench of 9 guys.

Just from between the lines, thought Bmuff  were looking for a fee for Moore and only then if they could bring in another striker first...idk. Anyways, maybe City have other options on rader, away from media spotlights, would'nt  be the first time. Oomph, roll on 11pm, with or without any new addition.

Like Chelsea, feels like Forest have signed about 50 players this window. Surely they have some strikers surplus to requirements.

Either we are working quitely behind the scenes or tomorrows headlines will be another Doncaster "prudence with ambition" tale along the llikes that we tried valiently to bring various targets in but nothing came to fruition

18 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Really? Idah has or do you think his record is great? 

Just playing Devil's Advocate, and a quick disclaimer that I'm not convinced Idah is the answer right now, but I'm not binning the idea either.

The lad has 2 goals and an assist in less than 90 Championship minutes this season.

And it isn't like we haven't seen a player come back after a summer and be a completely different prospect, is it?

Remember the season Cantwell came back twice the player he was, and who on earth predicted Jon Rowe bagging 5 in the first 5 games of the season?

It's almost like the previous Kenny McLean situation. Many professional managers and coaching teams like him (4 or 5 different sets of coaching staff now for Idah?!), they don't want him out on loan, the guy recently got a shiny new contract, they want him around.

There has to be something in all of that.

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 2

Just now, Samwam27 said:

If we get someone it'll be a bonus and if we dont Wagner will say he was happy with our squad and options

And the forum will SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

11 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Hey @PurpleCanary, I am going on the basis of better tactical minds than mine but yes, they both do go deep at the same time. This creates a midfield box which overloads the oppositions CDM and works in the half spaces. Also asks questions of the other teams CBs - do they sit or do they follow. This leaves Rowe and Faasnacht as a front two and gives Sara/McLean space to advance into. The rotation makes it a nightmare play against at EFL level but also difficult to slot someone fresh in. Result is that yes, all the names Wagner mentioned could play in a front 4, but it is unlikely we can buy someone who will be ready to without 3/4 weeks acclimatization. Any suggestion otherwise are for the birds.

There will definitely need to be acclimatization but equally there is a reason that Sargent/Barnes/Idah are the preferred options for these roles- namely the energy and physicality they bring to the team, the ability to engage central defenders and the willingness to press. 

I don't doubt in a pinch we could use Gibbs or Nunez as one striker in a two. However we certainly couldn't use them both at the same time,  nor would I imagine Wagner want to use them for more than a stopgap. I'd wager he'd take a more physical but less acclimatised player if he had the choice.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

His goals per minutes played is pretty decent actually, and a bit harsh to judge him based on minutes he hasn't played!

Again, especially when you consider how many of those minutes came in wide positions rather than a striker. And on top of that, minutes played in that first premier league season, up top on his own,(as an 18yr old?) against Man Utd, when the team was struggling in general. 

I think we should remind ourselves what can happen when a club goes searching for a high profile buy just to keep the fans happy. The purchase of Naismith always struck me as a good example. We desperately needed to strengthen our central defence, couldn't do it, so ended up spending millions on someone whose natural position was already occupied by Hoolahan. An awful lot of money was spaffed up the wall on that purchase, with serious consequences for future spending.

I always imagined, much the same as a WC squad for instance, that a club of our size would expect to have two players for each position plus three goalkeepers.

We needed 4 strikers at the start. Certainly three who could walk into the team and a promising or developing one. Kamara went out on loan and to be honest I was always expecting at least another striker by today, even before Sarge's injury.

I don't think it would hurt, especially after last week, to spend some money on one. Injuries and suspensions will occur because we have only played 4 league games.

I think it is now an emergency to bring someone in. Is there an EPL club who have just bought and need to offload? A club who could do with some money to keep them in the black?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Though it would have been nice to have got Cannon in, I’ll be honest we have Sainz coming back who can play as a striker, we have Fassnacht who can play up top too, Rowe is a good shout as a forward big and fast, I’d much rather go with what we have than buy the likes of Lowe who I don’t think offers anything the guys I’ve mentioned can’t bring to the team if needed.

Have to agree with you Indy. Also our squad have made a great start, most of them  gone thru pre season and started the first  bunch of games...Josh is a loss yes, but our squad have totally  transformed from last season when we couldnt score, couldnt win, even at home, had no confidence and only backwards momentum...to a free scoring squad oozing confidence  and playing entertaining footy...our squad...not just Josh. Bringing in a lump like Lowe would not have tasted this.

Most clubs in the Champs will get players  injured during this season...most with 1 or 2 long term ones...at varying times..thats football. Lets see how the lads do at Rotherham then we can have a breather and discuss all this nonsense again for another 2 weeks.

3 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think we should remind ourselves what can happen when a club goes searching for a high profile buy just to keep the fans happy. The purchase of Naismith always struck me as a good example. We desperately needed to strengthen our central defence, couldn't do it, so ended up spending millions on someone whose natural position was already occupied by Hoolahan. An awful lot of money was spaffed up the wall on that purchase, with serious consequences for future spending.

I never really saw Naismith as "keeping the fans happy" but more as "keeping Alex happy by bringing in his best mate"

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

But there is no sign that is what's happening here. Tactical trickery aside, we have lost our main striker, supposedly for months rather than weeks, and all the spin coming from Carrow Road via the EDP is that we are trying to find a replacement, either permanently or on loan.

Just now, PurpleCanary said:

But there is no sign that is what's happening here. Tactical trickery aside, we have lost our main striker, supposedly for months rather than weeks, and all the spin coming from Carrow Road via the EDP is that we are trying to find a replacement, either permanently or on loan.

Indeed! The club seems to have learnt its lesson. I'm simply reminding those fans frustrated by a lack of splashing out what the consequences of unwise spending can be. I'm sure they're looking for a suitable addition to cover for Sargent, but I'm also happy they won't blow cash on someone not suitable just to keep the fans happy.

3 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Is this your bus ride home, Wibble? 

Assume this relates to flights.?

If so, Omo to Bournemouth and Pohjanpalo from Venezia?

Edited by Desert_Fox_2

14 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Not relevant here, we need a striker with Josh out injured and since he's looked so good this season we need someone who can come in and full his shoes. Everyone saying it's just a short-term thing is missing the point, Josh could potentially be out for 20+ games, that's 60 points potentially at risk by NOT acting.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Desert_Fox_2 said:

Pohjanpalo

Possible, but wouldn't he fly from Venice or Treviso rather than Bolzano?

17 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Eh? That wasn't to keep the fans happy, Neil very much wanted Naismith.

Just now, TheGunnShow said:

Possible, but wouldn't he fly from Venice or Treviso rather than Bolzano?

I guess alot depends on where the planes are available. I would bet venice and treviso would be far busier airports and less likely to have available aircraft than Bolzano? 

Entirely my speculation though!

4 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Not relevant here, we need a striker with Josh out injured and since he's looked so good this season we need someone who can come in and full his shoes. Everyone saying it's just a short-term thing is missing the point, Josh could potentially be out for 20+ games, that's 60 points potentially at risk by NOT acting.

Yeah, we don't need to go crazy but a 6 month loan for a Kieffer Moore type makes sense.