Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

1 hour ago, Top corner said:

Connor Southwell is saying that Rashica is set to travel to Turkey, because Besiktas & Galatasaray are in talks with Norwich. The saga is reaching an end game. 

I think we've heard this b4 many times!

Well Gala won their 3rd round champions league qualifying game comfortably tonight so that should be more dosh in their bank to spend 

So Aaron's has gone, Krul is going and it also looks like the Rashica deal is close.

There has not been much more talk over Omobamdiele or McCallum, so they could stay or go

I know we have been linked with the Millwall keeper, but what else do we need .. It's not going to be a defensive midfielder...or do we have enough?

16 minutes ago, tricky974 said:

So Aaron's has gone, Krul is going and it also looks like the Rashica deal is close.

There has not been much more talk over Omobamdiele or McCallum, so they could stay or go

I know we have been linked with the Millwall keeper, but what else do we need .. It's not going to be a defensive midfielder...or do we have enough?

We've probably got too many defensive midfielders.. probably need to offload at least 2 🙂

Edited by jaberry2

Part of the problem with bringing in another midfielder is that we already have Nunez and Gibbs awaiting minutes, the latter particularly. To bring in someone better than Kenny makes him first sub and Gibbs 3rd or 4th choice- I can't see us doing that.

I know a lot of people's solution will be 'just bin off McLean!' but I can't see us doing that, either.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shefcanary said:

I think that was a misconception brought about by the fact he never commanded his area in the air, and could never prevent those shots aimed into the corners of the goal. Perhaps like Ruddy, he was so tall he took forever getting to the ground on the latter, but with that height his lack of command of the penalty box is a concern. However, albeit it is early days with him at Norwich, but Paul Clements looks like a coach who can make anyone into a first class stopper, so lets see what happens.  

Not a dig at you, but the corners of the goal are the most difficult places for a keeper to get to if the ball is hit at pace, and that's before you add in any swerve/curl.

Lee Camp has made a good career for himself. At 6' he isn't exactly what people would call tall for a goalkeeper. 

11 hours ago, Samwam27 said:

Cant find any reports confirming if Rash to Besiktas is a loan or permanent. 

Another season loan does us no good whatsoever

The pinkun piece says we will recoup nearly what we paid for him so clearly a permanent transfer.

9 hours ago, Soldier on said:

Would like another midfielder able to do what Gabby and Kenny do and a CB that can improve the first 11

Not going to happen. It's been made repeatedly clear by literally everyone that no one else will come in unless others are sold 

13 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Not going to happen. It's been made repeatedly clear by literally everyone that no one else will come in unless others are sold 

We've sold since then 

28 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I agree it’s not a “this is what the club will do it’s a “this Is what I think we need”

16 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Rashica basically out the door, recouping most of what we spent on him.  Aarons has gone with a good chunk of change upfront by Champ standards.

There will be 1 or 2 coming in and im sure there is plenty going on outside of the limelight.  What the club says to the media isnt there to inform the fans primarily, its to temper expectations and helps, however little, with negotiations.  

If we say publicly, yes we definitely need to buy x and y, when we start making enquiries, we look more desperate and that can weaken our hand.  Anyone that has worked in B2B sales will have experienced similar, a customer calls up and lets slip that they desperately need to find/purchase X for an urgent scenario... if i hear those words i immediately add 10-20% to the price.  Not too much that it kills the deal, but enough to add a good chunk to the coffers in line with their desperation.

Im not saying we are going to go out and buy a 10 million striker, Kante as our new holding mid and Virgil to sort out our central defence, but i fully expect 2 more bodies through the door by the close of the window.  Probably a physical, slightly less attacking CM option that can compete with Kenny to play alongside Sara and a CB on loan unless Omo stays.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Haus said:

We've sold since then 

We've been told by Pink Un lads and Michael Bailey that no one will be bought unless Omobamodiele is sold. It's been said time and time and time again. 

People saying we're going to sign 1 or 2 are not listening. 

13 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

We've been told by Pink Un lads and Michael Bailey that no one will be bought unless Omobamodiele is sold. It's been said time and time and time again. 

I believe that they are listening but find it difficult to digest. I do.

We have just, reportedly, received £9m up-front for Max (perhaps this is the maximum, less has been mooted.) We received add-ons from the Maddison sell-on, £1m for Mumba, the sale of Rashica seems to be finalising at last, and we are told that we will recoup a decent amount of our initial outlay. Furthermore, we even supposedly got a little for Krul.

Attendances are very healthy, sponsorship is decent, tv money forthcoming. High earners are being exited.

Ok. Running a professional football club is expensive. NCFC bleeds money. Championship existence only profits when decent sales are involved, but surely there can be something available as there are significant gaps to plug? 

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The latest EDP piece on the transfer situation from Southwell says this:

"In fact, the only event that will force them back into the market would be Omobamidele's departure. Work has been ongoing for a prolonged period and they have a shortlist of recruits lined up in the event of the Irish international leaving." 

That is not the same as saying no-one will be bought unless Omabamidele leaves. Only that if he leaves they definitely will want to replace him. It doesn't rule out another signing for a different position, and for starters it seems we may be getting in a new goalkeeper soon.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The latest EDP piece on the transfer situation from Southwell says this:

"In fact, the only event that will force them back into the market would be Omobamidele's departure. Work has been ongoing for a prolonged period and they have a shortlist of recruits lined up in the event of the Irish international leaving." 

That is not the same as saying no-one will be bought unless Omabamidele leaves. Only that if he leaves they definitely will want to replace him. It doesn't rule out another signing fpr a different position, and for starters it seems we may be getting in a new goalkeeper soon.

How on earth do you quote that and interpret it to mean anything other than nothing else will happen unless Andy O is sold? 

Let me be clear. The only business that will be done by norwich will be the goalkeeper replacement. This will only change if Omobamodiele is sold then we will sign a single center back to replace him. No one else is getting signed. Not on loan. Not for a fee. Not anything.

That's exactly what we've been told by anyone who has authority on such things. Anyone thinking anything else is going to happen are deluding themselves.

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

Just now, LaUnionCanary said:

Plus nobody has factored in loans, which I am certain will be forthcoming.

No they won't. Nobody means no body. It's really that simple. 

Edited by Terminally Yellow

Just now, LaUnionCanary said:

Plus nobody has factored in loans, which I am certain will be forthcoming.

I'm glad we are not rushing in to loans like other seasons, and seeing what we have on the contracted playing staff, then pursuing loans to support the team, not the other way round.

1 minute ago, NWC said:

I'm glad we are not rushing in to loans like other seasons, and seeing what we have on the contracted playing staff, then pursuing loans to support the team, not the other way round.

We're not pursuing anyone 🤣

2 minutes ago, NWC said:

Loans tend to happen later in the window. I'm hoping of two quality loan players to come in and help us push on.

20 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

How on earth do you quote that and interpret it to mean anything other than nothing else will happen unless Andy O is sold? 

Let me be clear. The only business that will be done by norwich will be the goalkeeper replacement. This will only change if Omobamodiele is sold then we will sign a single center back to replace him. No one else is getting signed. Not on loan. Not for a fee. Not anything.

That's exactly what we've been told by anyone who has authority on such things. Anyone thinking anything else is going to happen are deluding themselves.

And famously football clubs are entirely open and transparent about their plans in this regard.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Because that isn't what it says. It may be we will only sign someone if Omobamidele leaves, and as it happens I think we have a pretty full squad, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that is the case as far as purchases go, although it would be odd if we didn't bring in at least one EPL loanee if someone useful became available.

But what Southwell says there does not rule out an incoming irrespective of the Omo situation. You are the one who is over-interpreting it. I am going on a plain reading of it.

Edited by PurpleCanary

I totally get that we aren’t getting more in but I think it’s a misguided strategy. This rule chances this season have extended the game and injuries will come. Outside the starting XI we look bereft of talent. Meaning we are a couple of injuries away from ending this season like last.  I think we need another striker and a CDM and an upgrade for Gibbo leaving him as decent back up 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Is this really a hill worth dying on?

As I read it, we will not sign anyone else (unless Andy O is sold), but we may

Seems to me like the right approach to purchases if we decide it is to our advantage. To go out and make a public statement that we WILL buy a CDM in this window just gives leverage to whoever we buy from to play hardball.

Edited by Nuff Said

22 minutes ago, king canary said:

And famously football clubs are entirely open and transparent about their plans in this regard.

Famously football clubs don't brief that nothing will happen unless nothing is going to happen. 

It really is that simple.

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

Attendances are very healthy, sponsorship is decent, tv money forthcoming. High earners are being exited.

That doesn't mean you have to buy for the sake of it though.  Wagner's saying that he's happy and has cover in all areas.  Whether he's just saying that as appreciative of our financial restraints, or genuinely believes it is another matter, of course! 

I don't know for what position you buy in, if it's a third choice squad member it seems pointless to me.  Only bring someone in if they're a genuine starter, but the only position I have big question marks on is Gibson and that all hinges on AO, which we're all aware of anyway.

Edited by Google Bot

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Is this really a hill worth dying on?

As I read it, we will not sign anyone else (unless Andy O is sold), but we may

May based on what? 

Listen to the Pink Un podcast. It's incontrovertible that the club do not intend to do any more business unless a player is sold. That's literally the quote from Wagner. They've been saying this since the Austria tour. 

Read Michael Bailey's tweets. 

This isn't a hill I'm dying on. It's the facts as presented by people far more informed than any of us 

We've already signed a new player since those  statements, albeit for the development squad.  

We've had money coming in this window, it'd be strange not to try to use it at all