Terminally Yellow

The Officially Not Official Summer Transfer Thread 2023

5 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

My concern with this strategy of buying SA players is the time it takes to get used to the Championship and life here in general. Nunez is still an unknown quantity for me for example 

I agree with you in respect of Nunez and SA Players in general needing time to adjust. However I imagine if I were webber you would look at a couple of loans so who can add value from the off and some SA players who we can give the luxury of some time to.

51 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Its August and its raining. However the historical interest we have held in some Brazilian players dont amount to vast sums, so if they are legitimate interests I wouldnt be surprised if we move for those with little capital involved.

It's August & the sun is shining. 

2 minutes ago, Top corner said:

It's August & the sun is shining. 

Stop being so positive 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just wondering what with Emi's injury Villa will be looking for a replacement. Not directly any of our players but it might start movement in the market for central/attacking midfielders. Sara specifically worries me.

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Just wondering what with Emi's injury Villa will be looking for a replacement. Not directly any of our players but it might start movement in the market for central/attacking midfielders. Sara specifically worries me.

I cant see us selling Sara currently, regardless of interest. Its my view it would break our season before its even started. I would see him as an integral part of the side.

Just now, jaberry2 said:

I cant see us selling Sara currently, regardless of interest. Its my view it would break our season before its even started. I would see him as an integral part of the side.

Possibly, but why accept £20m for Omo and not Sara? 

Selling Omo leaves us with only Gibbo and Duffy. 

I won't believe we aren't selling him until the window slams shut, and for the record I hope we sell neither and turn down any bid regardless.

24 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I won't believe we aren't selling him until the window slams shut, and for the record I hope we sell neither and turn down any bid regardless.

If I read the signals correctly, I think we are confident we have another couple of very promising central defenders coming up from the academy. Probably not so much in Sara’s position.

38 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

I think we have planned for life with Omo and with Sara for this season, at least. Theyve said previously no incoming unless outgoings, surely they have to add depth and quality to the team if we are ever going to stand a a chance. Sorenson / PP and other bit part players really dont make the grade for me.

Edited by jaberry2

If we sell Max & Rashica, and didn't need to sell either during this window, we'd play absolute hardball with Omo, as he's highly rated, and would have to be something special, way north of £20m to part with him

49 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Because Omo's replacement is already in the building

Peter O'rourke of Football Insider Twitter is saying that a few Premier League clubs are interested in Krul....No surprise, way to good to be sitting on the bench in the Championship, although he will probably only swap our bench for a Premier League bench....just with a bigger bag of money.

18 hours ago, BigFish said:

Because Omo's replacement is already in the building

We have Tompkinson, Warner and Hanley coming back. We have to trust in youth at some stage. Tompkinson played well last year when called on. Warner continously gets rave reviews. Rather spend on another cdm and forward

15 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Peter O'rourke of Football Insider Twitter is saying that a few Premier League clubs are interested in Krul....No surprise, way to good to be sitting on the bench in the Championship, although he will probably only swap our bench for a Premier League bench....just with a bigger bag of money.

Strangely the article is not on the website.

5 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Would agree that when he's at his best he's easily good enough to be a starter a midtable Prem club. He's not getting younger and is past his very best but I still think he's got  a few years left.

Good luck to him if be does go, top bloke

23 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I really like Krul and think he is great for our club. But with the arrival of Reyes, I would happy for him to leave, especially if we received a small bag of loose change for him.

23 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

I really like Krul and think he is great for our club. But with the arrival of Reyes, I would happy for him to leave, especially if we received a small bag of loose change for him.

Id be surprised if there were any fee involved.  He is one of the top earners and unlikely to be needed here with Reyes in the building and the likes of Barden around also.  If there are multiple clubs interested, i imagine we have informed him and his agent that he is free to leave if someone will pick up his wages and get them off our books.

Whatever happens with outgoings I really hope we bring in two or three more. Surely we are not going to sit on the money until January when two or three now would give us a really strong group who could go far this season

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BSEYELLOW said:

Id be surprised if there were any fee involved.  He is one of the top earners and unlikely to be needed here with Reyes in the building and the likes of Barden around also.  If there are multiple clubs interested, i imagine we have informed him and his agent that he is free to leave if someone will pick up his wages and get them off our books.

There could well be with a "number" of Premiership clubs involved. Highest bidder then. It won't be multi-millions, but could be a couple. 

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

There could well be with a "number" of Premiership clubs involved. Highest bidder then. It won't be multi-millions, but could be a couple. 

O is a number, as is 1

37 minutes ago, OTBC06 said:

Think I’d keep him for this season to help with Reyes development and transition. Fantastic character to have around the club during a transitional phase. Expensive yes, but worth it IMO.

Edited by Creedence Clearwater Couto

3 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Think I’d keep him for this season to help with Reyes development and transition. Fantastic character to have around the club during a transitional phase. Expensive yes, but worth it IMO.

I was thinking the same the other day, but Im not a fan of Krul on the pitch, off it we are more secure in my view 🙂 Not adverse to him leaving. Reyes sounds an able No 2.

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Caceido to Liverpool £111m.

Looks like Brighton are losing another midfielder.

We could do with some of that sort of recruiting !

signing these lesser known players and selling for massive money is fantastic work ,

just goes to show you go up to PL and Stay there your players are worth so much more ,

If they are sniffing around Sara we have to take as much of their money as possible ,

• Like 1

Reyes has very limited experience for his age; Atlanta Accademy and Chile U20s. With Gunn now first choice for Scotland and more games to get injured in personally I'd keep Krul.

We've paid his contract this long, a few more months makes no difference.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Reyes has very limited experience for his age; Atlanta Accademy and Chile U20s. With Gunn now first choice for Scotland and more games to get injured in personally I'd keep Krul.

Yeah absolutely this, or if Krul wants to leave then get a cheaper experienced keeper a la McGovern to help Reyes develop. Wouldn't be comfortable knowing that we only had two untried youngsters to use if Angus did get a bad injury (touch wood).

33 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

O is a number, as is 1

Oooh, philosophy of maths, is 0 a number or merely a representation of nothing?

2 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Let's assume Krul is on a conservative £10k a week.

That's £40k a month. 

Like most contracts in football, let's assume the contract runs from 1st July in the year it is signed to 30th June in the year the contract is due to expire. We know as it's in the public domain that Krul is out of contract at the end of next season. 

Let's also assume Krul moves on the last day of August.

£10k a week for September 2023 to June 2024 would equate to £400,000. That's the equivalent of three Kellen Fishers - just on shifting his wage off the books.

We have to assume that Krul is also on a decent fee for being on the bench, not to mention if he gets called into action for appearance fees, clean sheet bonuses. If by some miracle we get promoted, there'll be a bonus for a job well done, even if he hasn't played at all. 

By the time we add all these fees up, we're probably looking at between £500k - £600k saved for moving Krul on.

That isn't "no difference". That's a large sum of money. 

If there's an opportunity to go and either play regularly or be in the Premier League, and Krul wants to take it, I think it would suit all parties to let him do so. I personally think we could use Dan Barden as an able deputy or if necessary, look to the free agent market given Jed Steer and Joe Lewis remain free agents and both would bring a wealth of experience at - I'd presume - a fraction of the cost of Tim Krul.