If Galatasaray wants him, let them cough up. They are top of their league which will mean Champions League football (?) if they finish top. They can afford him.

1 minute ago, PockthorpePete said:

If Galatasaray wants him, let them cough up. They are top of their league which will mean Champions League football (?) if they finish top. They can afford him.

Leave it to Stu, if we want £10m he’ll get £2m for him. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Leave it to Stu, if we want £10m he’ll get £2m for him. 

Webber seems well able to get good money, it's just when he is buying that things go awry. Mumba, McCallum, Gibbs excellent. It's the multi million pound fees that are the problem. Rashicas contract is to June 2025

• Like 2

Just now, PockthorpePete said:

Webber seems well able to get good money, it's just when he is buying that things go awry. Mumba, McCallum, Gibbs excellent. It's the multi million pound fees that are the problem. Rashicas contract is to June 2025

Give Stu a budget of £5m or less in the Championship and he’s on the money. Like Alex Neil he hasn’t got a clue how to spend or build a team to work in the Premier League. 

Would be scandalous to let them have him on loan for another season. The one thing Stu does well is sell players for decent money.

We don't want him back, he doesn't want to come back. Get a decent return and our rebuild begins 

• Like 3

Is anybody seriously thinking Webber can do a good job in the transfer market after his efforts in the last 4 windows ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Is anybody seriously thinking Webber can do a good job in the transfer market after his efforts in the last 4 windows ?

Yes.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

I think Wagner will be very clear in his requirements, so I do feel more confident from that perspective. 

I feel that with Farke and his inexperience as coach it allowed the recruitment to be too focused on assets and less about the short-term needs. 

36 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Based on what ?

He’s done it at this level before in the interest of fairness.

sara and Nunez aren’t duds either 

• Like 1

Webber has done OK in my book, the failures are certainly offset by some good players too. 

My criticism of Webber are his arrogance towards the job and clubs supporters given his position alongside his wife's too, should be a touch more humble in my opinion towards the people that really matter the fans.

He's only got one thing really wrong and that was the way Farke was sacked and the Smith appointment....the rest is just football in a nutshell...some you win some you lose goes for games and players.

• Like 1

It's becoming increasingly clear that the main man behind our most positive recruitment on field success in recent times was Kieran Scott and not Stuart Webber. It went very downhill after he went to Middlesbrough and... oh, yeah, they've suddenly starting signing good players.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

It's becoming increasingly clear that the main man behind our most positive recruitment on field success in recent times was Kieran Scott and not Stuart Webber. It went very downhill after he went to Middlesbrough and... oh, yeah, they've suddenly starting signing good players.

I agree. We need to throw money at getting him back. He left and our recruitment went down the toilet 

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Based on what ?

The question was whether Webber can do a good job. And he can, which is not to say he will. But there are some potential positives. Assuming we don’t get promoted, sorting out a transfer strategy for another season in the Championship is markedly easier than the kind of split-personality strategy he has had to use for the Premier League.

Pukki’s decline and his decision to leave makes finding another striker a necessity, which it might not have appeared to be (even though because of his decline it would have been) if he was staying. Seemingly Rashica will definitely not be around, one way or another, which is another clarifying development.

And Wagner will have by the end of the season have seen enough to make clear which players he wants to keep and which won’t make the grade. Another clarifying factor. As will be some certainty - at least in private - about the club’s financial position. Webber could still get it wrong, but he is not the useless idiot some here believe.

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

That's what a good leader does, he builds a team around him with people who are the best at their skill set to improve the process and get the best out of the limitations in place.

Kingston... I said one thing Really wrong, you can throw criticism at Webber of course but as I said there's never any guarantees in signing players, no matter which club or DOF. Certainly you can ask the question why we never replaced Tettey or Skipp and why so many wingers only to play strikers out wide! but then Farke & Smith and even now Wagner has tried it! Makes you ask why or what pressure to play that system.

39 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

As it happens I was chatting to a Norwich based Middlesbrough supporter this weekend who was saying exactly that ….

4 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

As it happens I was chatting to a Norwich based Middlesbrough supporter this weekend who was saying exactly that ….

Didn’t he leave in 2021? Our transfer windows were pretty ordinary that year…I think that’s straw-clutching.

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The question was whether Webber can do a good job. And he can, which is not to say he will. But there are some potential positives. Assuming we don’t get promoted, sorting out a transfer strategy for another season in the Championship is markedly easier than the kind of split-personality strategy he has had to use for the Premier League.

Pukki’s decline and his decision to leave makes finding another striker a necessity, which it might not have appeared to be (even though because of his decline it would have been) if he was staying. Seemingly Rashica will definitely not be around, one way or another, which is another clarifying development.

And Wagner will have by the end of the season have seen enough to make clear which players he wants to keep and which won’t make the grade. Another clarifying factor. As will be some certainty - at least in private - about the club’s financial position. Webber could still get it wrong, but he is not the useless idiot some here believe.

Just to expand on this a bit, as Shef and others have pointed out there will be significant financial constraints on the summer transfer window if we are in the Championship. The wage bill will have to be brought down in anticipation of a following season without parachute payments.

For me a successful window will provide us with a top-six Championship striker, since we don't have one of those, and a fit defensive central midfielder, since we don't have one of those either. This could be Hayden, who has only just turned 28.

I assuming Aarons will go, so that position needs looking at. And since Gunn seems to have established himself as number one we might be keen to offload Krul's wages. Ideally we will not lose Sara, unless the money really is too good to turn down.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 2

Lot of guesswork going on ignoring the facts. DF did a grea tjob as many, including myself, two great seasons out of four is surely better than most and if you aren't happy with that then football isn't the game to follow. Webber sacked him. Smith was left with the failures that DF had inherited but was given loans and a crock. Webber sacked him.

You can bang on about his past recruitment but its the current failures that means he isn't doing his job to the standard he used to. When does Webber's record come under scrutiny with the Board?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PurpleCanary said:

I did specify a fit Hayden.

I don't think it's a good idea to fill a key position with a mythical creature.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Really poor business if he ends up on another loan with them. We may aswell have him back.

Perhaps we should use that threat to put pressure on both Galatasaray and the player himself.

42 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well, yes, OK, that is a reasonably amusing reply...😍

1 hour ago, king canary said:

We've been doing this for about five years. Why stop now?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

We've been doing this for about five years. Why stop now?

Fair point. After all, despite all the evidence posters here keep believing in a plainly mythical "establishing ourselves in the Premier League"...🤩