Sign in to follow this  

I think technically he won't be sacked, but won't have his contract renewed. Either way it's still pretty funny, the way they are run as a club is ridiculous.

8 minutes ago, Satriales said:

I think technically he won't be sacked, but won't have his contract renewed. Either way it's still pretty funny, the way they are run as a club is ridiculous.

It did work for them for a period to be fair. It has gotten a bit extreme this season particularly though. 

Wilder was always a weird fit in my opinion. Just didn't seem the man for a job there. 

The only thing that fitted together was his surname and the nature of decisions made by Watford boards.

Edited by sonyc

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I saw the Twitter stuff circling too. The trouble is with Watford stories (and managers) you never just know do you! 🙂

Oh, must be true if on tw@tter then!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

I thought Wilder was only until the end of the season anyway.

Watford are after Farioli now.

Wilder will be at Leicester before you know it.

2 hours ago, king canary said:

It did work for them for a period to be fair. It has gotten a bit extreme this season particularly though. 

I see their fans complaining about the fact they've sacked managers left right and centre for years but I'm not sure they've had too much to complain about - it's kind of worked for them?

42 minutes ago, TheDarkKnight said:

As a Scotland fan, I want Ryan Porteous out of there.

Do me a solid. Now that Hanley's out, buy Porteous.

Buy Gauld and Lewis Morgan while you're at it.

Whilst Porteous is a decent player, I'm not sure that as a Scotland fan you should want him to come here given our ongoing capacity to continually break our central defenders !

I've agreed to be Watford manager in the week commencing 7 August but I have a dental appointment. Could one of you swap with me please? 

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I see their fans complaining about the fact they've sacked managers left right and centre for years but I'm not sure they've had too much to complain about - it's kind of worked for them?

Don't get me wrong, it isn't how I'd chose to run a football club. However, yeah, it delivered results. I think it is partly cultural too- managerial turnover in Italy is insane and it isn't unusual for a club to hire the same manager on two or three occasions. Although it looks like this season has been conservative by Italian clubs with only 10 managerial changes. 20/21 saw 25 separate managerial changes, with 16 clubs changing managers!

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Don't get me wrong, it isn't how I'd chose to run a football club. However, yeah, it delivered results. I think it is partly cultural too- managerial turnover in Italy is insane and it isn't unusual for a club to hire the same manager on two or three occasions. Although it looks like this season has been conservative by Italian clubs with only 10 managerial changes. 20/21 saw 25 separate managerial changes, with 16 clubs changing managers!

That's generally because they're not paid off when they're sacked; they remain on the payroll until they get another job or their contract runs out. Also, a coach can only take charge of one club per season, so during the second half of a season clubs often start running out of valid alternatives from the managerial merry-go-round so they just bring someone back who is already on the payroll if the replacement doesn't work out. Plus, Italian clubs rarely hire foreign coaches, and the ones who do get jobs in Italy usually spent a large chunk of their playing career there, which reduces the pool even further.

They do seem to be getting a bit more sensible though, but that's probably just because Cellino and Zamparini are no longer around in Serie A. The Pozzo family are keeping those traditions alive at Watford, however.

• Thanks 1