TheBaldOne66

Wagner is deluded!

15 minutes ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Today was exactly the performance he wanted? Guys getting as bad as Smith if he thinks that was ok today

Given there's only five games remaining and somehow we are still not out of it, what would you expect him to say?

I didn't see what he said but if we'd taken one of our gilt edged chances nobody would be complaining about the performance.

• Like 11

37 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

I didn't see what he said but if we'd taken one of our gilt edged chances nobody would be complaining about the performance.

Exactly this. The performance wasn't terrible, we never looked like losing/conceding and we really should have won given the two or three guilt edged chances that were squandered (Pukki a season ago would have buried that first half chance without a second thought)

31 minutes ago, AJ said:

Exactly this. The performance wasn't terrible, we never looked like losing/conceding and we really should have won given the two or three guilt edged chances that were squandered (Pukki a season ago would have buried that first half chance without a second thought)

So you were not just a little bit anxious about the last minute Rotherham chance then?, several sitting near me today were. For all our possession we only had 4 shots on target to Rotherham's 2. Whilst I would not describe our performance today terrible I would describe it as fantastically average............

That first half performance was really good IMO, just lacked the goal it deserved, mixture of fine stops and lacklustre finishing. 

Second half we didn’t show anywhere near enough determination or composure to go and win the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

If my aunt had **** she would be my uncle. Not taking gilt edge chances is something of a concern I would suggest and a factor in judging the teams performance. On a personal level I would have been delighted if we had taken a gilt edge chance and won 1-0, I would also still have left CR somewhat concerned.............

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

That first half performance was really good IMO, just lacked the goal it deserved, mixture of fine stops and lacklustre finishing. 

Second half we didn’t show anywhere near enough determination or composure to go and win the game.

What was really disappointing for me was the lack of urgency towards the end. Only Gunny drove us forwards.

We missed Kenny today much more than either centre back. Sara needs to have possession a lot higher up the pitch where he can hurt teams. Same with Gibbs really. The whole midfield was compromised.

Edited by nutty nigel
  • Like 4

Compare and contrast Norwich’s dire  and lack lustre performances  with the determination and commitment that you see in the Wrexham team playing Notts County. 

7 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

If my aunt had **** she would be my uncle. Not taking gilt edge chances is something of a concern I would suggest and a factor in judging the teams performance. On a personal level I would have been delighted if we had taken a gilt edge chance and won 1-0, I would also still have left CR somewhat concerned.............

1-0 wins are manna from heaven at this stage of the season. I remember going to Bradford in  2002 and winning a game 1-0 which we should have lost. WLY Paul McVeigh got a late winner. Go further back you may remember two late season 1-0 home wins with two thumping headers from big Dunc. Nobody worried about the performances...

Edited by nutty nigel
Symmetry buh...

4 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

1-0 wins are manna from heaven at this stage of the season. I remember going to Bradford in  2002 and winning a game 1-0 which we should have lost. WLY Paul McVeigh got a late winner. Go further back you may remember two late season 1-0 home wins with two thumping headers from big Dunc. Nobody worried about the performances...

You could be right, or maybe our teams/squads back then had a bit more about them than the current squad, factor in that rebuilding the current squad will fall to the twit that is Webber then on a personal level I feel I would have been right to remain concerned even if we had won 1-0 today............

14 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

That’s as maybe, but in reality we had a third home blank score line on the spin, which is simply garbage.  At least we did create some chances today, unlike the other two, but at the moment a 1-0 home win (or even a sodding goal!) would be a dream! 

26 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

You could be right, or maybe our teams/squads back then had a bit more about them than the current squad, factor in that rebuilding the current squad will fall to the twit that is Webber then on a personal level I feel I would have been right to remain concerned even if we had won 1-0 today............

I'm not arguing that we are better than where we are. Quite clearly we are no where near good enough to be in the top four. But we'd be in the top six of we'd taken any of our opportunities today. In recent weeks we've won away at the two clubs in 5th and 6th. I only see away games on the wireless. Perhaps we were lucky?

I spoke to a Rotherham fan in the pub after and he couldn't believe we missed the opportunities we had. Especially Pukki's two. I'm assuming that was what Wagner meant by the performance being good enough but haven't seen the interview.

Anyway we are where we are and unbelievably we could still get in the play offs. I think our home form has put paid to it though. Perhaps we're more lucky away from home. We now need at least four points from Boro and QPR. I hope we get them.

Absolutely terrible. The squad is a massive downgrade and probably the poorest it has ever been. Apart from when it was worse. But that was more than a bit ago.

I tell you what though, was invigorating being amongst the City Elite. The support was blinding. Apart from for Idah (****), Tzolis (****), Kamara (****), Sargent (****)… jeering playing the ball backwards, quitting with ten to go when we probably needed more than anything, moaning that a 1-1 was better than a nil-nil as “why can’t we just score a ****ing goal”…

Elite my ****. 🙄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It was adecent performance and nowhere near as bad as some are making out and certainly not a Dean Smithesque non-show.

It typified a problem that we have had all season at CarrowRoad and a problem which is reflected in our home results. We are unable to break down sides who come with a defensive mind-set. It is difficult at the best of times but this squad seems to find it even harder, perhaps due to it's make-up and a certain rigid style that has developed.

It was the same old story ... get an early goal and the floodgates may have opened

Perhaps we could have done with the more flexible Todd Cantwell at his best (oops.) I should of course have meant Keiron Dowell. Any player with that necessary key.

At least the manager can see the main squad requirements for next season and apart from that defensive midfielder we always lack a decent striker added to the books is impertative. ITFC observers will note that they are currently swooning over Hirst, a striker on-loan from Leicester. If the latter stay up (though that becomes even more of a doubt now that Dean Smith has formally been appointed, imo) they will probably wish to unload the player. Even taking into account the binners perpetual habit of over stating any player who appears in the blue, he might be worth a look. A gazump would compensate slighly should we fail this season. 

Quite frankly, I've given up on Idah as a starter and the Sarge will never be prolific and is certainly not the class of a striker needed for a Championship team with aspirations beyond mid-table mediocrity.

Another season in the Chumps sees us relying on our youth as never before if we are to have that much vaunted clear-out. A season in the Premier League will need a lot American money, even though yo-yoing isn't so bad at the end of the day.  

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, Duncan Edwards said:

Absolutely terrible. The squad is a massive downgrade and probably the poorest it has ever been. Apart from when it was worse. But that was more than a bit ago.

I tell you what though, was invigorating being amongst the City Elite. The support was blinding. Apart from for Idah (****), Tzolis (****), Kamara (****), Sargent (****)… jeering playing the ball backwards, quitting with ten to go when we probably needed more than anything, moaning that a 1-1 was better than a nil-nil as “why can’t we just score a ****ing goal”…

Elite my ****. 🙄

It’s quite extraordinary how a group of fans have wound up so many others. Mainly, just for trying to create an atmosphere and be a bit different.

They’re passionate about Norwich. Clearly, their biggest crime is being ‘young,’ in a stadium full of coffin dodgers. 

Let them do their thing. The atmosphere without their efforts is something of an embarrassment.
Truth is, we need more ‘groups’ like this within the fan base. But with an ageing stadium, infrastructure, and current number of season ticket holders (also aging), there’s no chance. 

As for the players mentioned above, Idah, Sargent and Tzolis are slated by the majority of supporters, regularly. Not saying that’s right, but it isn’t exclusive to the ‘city elite’ and the area you sat. 

• Like 1

I thought the young lady on the Decks playing the vibes before kick-off and at half-time compensated for our lacklustre performance....I'm inconsolable though, due to the fact that there was no half-time Tampa Bay Zorbs?.....I could have gone for my half-time 'complimentary' biccies an' brew instead......

8 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

What was really disappointing for me was the lack of urgency towards the end. Only Gunny drove us forwards.

That's one of my biggest gripes with this current crop, especially if we are a goal down. Absolutely no passion or drive to get something from the game, they almost appear to just accept it far too easy. A far cry from all those last minute goals under Farke

9 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

In his Radio Norfolk interview he described the performance as 'very good'. Just shows how far our club has descended into mediocrity if our manager honestly feels that way about that performance. If that was 'very good' then just imagine what garbage is yet to be bestowed upon us when Wagner describes a future show as 'disappointing' heaven forbid. May the Lord have mercy on our souls is all I can say!

9 hours ago, AJ said:

I'm just fed up of hearing that comment.

It's been true for more than 1 season but it's a heresy to state it.

Edited by Yellow Fever

5 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm just fed up of hearing that comment.

It's been true for more than 1 season but it's a heresy to state it.

It's part of the narrative that this squad should be at least top two. They are not. They're a mixture of good players, players a bit past their best and promising youngsters.

Two thoughts for the day...

If Wagner is deluded are the performances really any better than those under Smith?

Given that Marquinhos was his replacement is he even as good as Ramsey?

I have seen Wagner's interview and it doesn't seem at odds with the game I saw or the one that Rotherham fan described.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It's part of the narrative that this squad should be at least top two. They are not. They're a mixture of good players, players a bit past their best and promising youngsters.

Two thoughts for the day...

If Wagner is deluded are the performances really any better than those under Smith?

Given that Marquinhos was his replacement is he even as good as Ramsey?

I have seen Wagner's interview and it doesn't seem at odds with the game I saw or the one that Rotherham fan described.

No but fans have always found it impossible to separate the performance from the result, if the result isn't the one you wanted.

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

No but fans have always found it impossible to separate the performance from the result, if the result isn't the one you wanted.

not sure if you're still updating your xG thread but I'd be interested to see the graph from yesterday's game. Seemed to be the performance (wasteful shooting excepted) was better than the result, and better than is generally being reflected on here. (I do realise this is easier to say for an exile who hasn't just sat through another goalless afternoon at Carrow road.)

23 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

not sure if you're still updating your xG thread but I'd be interested to see the graph from yesterday's game. Seemed to be the performance (wasteful shooting excepted) was better than the result, and better than is generally being reflected on here. (I do realise this is easier to say for an exile who hasn't just sat through another goalless afternoon at Carrow road.)

xG for yesterday was roughly 1.5 to 0.6 in our favour. I think the big worry in that though is that our best chance according to the xG had a value of 0.24, which is a good chance but not exactly a great one.

• Thanks 1

Once you get over the disappointing result and look back at the game, we did create several good chances and that’s what Wagner is referring to. I wouldn’t expect him to come out and openly criticise the players that missed them.

28 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

It was a better performance on xG than Blackburn away, but try telling those at the game the same thing! 🙂 

I will update that thread though, just to see how things have changed without Smith...

• Thanks 1

Tbh the team created chances, obviously those need converting, but it could not have been much better performance wise.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hogesar said:

It was a better performance on xG than Blackburn away, but try telling those at the game the same thing! 🙂 

Given the different opposition, you would expect that. I think it's reasonable that you'd have different expectations of what a good performance is in those two games. Completely reasonable to focus on a solid defensive display and play on the counter away to a fellow play-off contender; we should be expecting to dominate Rotherham at home. The xG stats quoted by @repman are actually a little worse than I was expecting. I thought we'd be nearer 2.0 - and I thought Tzolis's late chance and the one Pukki stabbed wide from the corner were quite decent chances.

• Like 1