cambridgeshire canary

**official lappinitup match thread Canaries V Millers**

Just now, wcorkcanary said:

What a funny ( not funny) thing to say. ...so its all pay heed to the great Birdyo is it. ?

Of course it is, didn't you know this already? 

All hail great LYB the wise!! 

We are not worthy 

• Like 1

Another sh1t home performance. Par for the course this season.

Poor finishing from Pukki abd Tzolis gave cost us.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Another sh1t home performance. Par for the course this season.

SHHHHHHHH!!! don't say things like that!! Rob Butlers ears will **** up and somehow arrive on the forum to tell everyone we can't slate Teemu and he's a legend 

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yeah exactly. We were missing quality in the final third, especially from Pukki who had several great opportunities that he fluffed. That was the difference between a win with a clean sheet where we were dominant most of the game.

But you know, let's all beat up on the whole squad anyway.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

That may be true but we've seen our defence have shockers vs various lower half of the league teams this season.

I'd also add that Hugill came into this game in form and barely got a kick from either central defender. 

Yep. We had a makeshift centre-half pairing, our youngest captain in hell knows how long, the ostensibly only purely defensive midfielder playing at centre-half with two more box-to-box sorts as the back part of a double pivot, and generally looked pretty damned solid in defence all game against a Rotherham side that are usually hard to defend against, particularly on set-pieces.

And we did that without our main defender in the air.

Complete lack of strategy,

There's absolutely no way we were due to finish the game with Idah, Tzolis, Kamara and Sarge.

But that's what happens when when you bring Teemu off after 65th,

And still need a goal with 10 left.

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Yep. We had a makeshift centre-half pairing, our youngest captain in hell knows how long, the ostensibly only purely defensive midfielder playing at centre-half with two more box-to-box sorts as the back part of a double pivot, and generally looked pretty damned solid in defence all game against a Rotherham side that are usually hard to defend against, particularly on set-pieces.

And we did that without our main defender in the air.

Maybe because that main defender shouldn't be our main defender. Just a thought...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Maybe because that main defender shouldn't be our main defender. Just a thought...

Said "main defender in the air", not "main defender". Unless you mean we've got a centre-half more dominant in the air than Hanley is?

12 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Of course it is, didn't you know this already? 

All hail great LYB the wise!! 

We are not worthy 

I think he just aims to be contrary.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yeah exactly. We were missing quality in the final third, especially from Pukki who had several great opportunities that he fluffed. That was the difference between a win with a clean sheet where we were dominant most of the game.

But you know, let's all beat up on the whole squad anyway.

I think the general frustration is we wermed to go backwards as the game went on. Yes if we'd have taken an early chance we'd be happy but goals win games and it is a bit 'if my auntie had ****...'

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

Said "main defender in the air", not "main defender". Unless you mean we've got a centre-half more dominant in the air than Hanley is?

No.

I just think he's nowhere near as good as people make out and I'm not shocked to see us look more defensively sound without him.

• Like 1

Just now, king canary said:

I think the general frustration is we wermed to go backwards as the game went on. Yes if we'd have taken an early chance we'd be happy but goals win games and it is a bit 'if my auntie had ****...'

Yes, I agree, but I'm sure the players are just as frustrated; there's a general lack of sympathy for the whole group that seems unreasonable to me.

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Yes, I agree, but I'm sure the players are just as frustrated; there's a general lack of sympathy for the whole group that seems unreasonable to me.

I'm not sure why you'd be surprised by that.

One win in six, three goals in those six games, all while having a golden opportunity to break into the top 6 which should be minimum expectation for this squad. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

No.

I just think he's nowhere near as good as people make out and I'm not shocked to see us look more defensively sound without him.

Maybe, maybe not. But he is probably our best centre-half in the air. And against Rotherham we were facing a team who usually compete very well in the air, particularly on set pieces.

And up top for them was Jordan Hugill, who we know very well is good in the air.

Horses for courses. I agree that we looked solid without Hanley, which when considering the makeshift nature of the team we put out, was a pretty good outcome against a side like Rotherham who are a gritty throwback. We had two cleared off the line and their keeper made two decent saves from McCallum and Sargent whilst Gunn had very little to do.

Omobamadele and Gibbs interview extremely well.

A couple of intelligent young players.

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

No.

I dont think we looked more defensively sound at all - Rotherham had very little interest in scoring. We conceded more chances once he went off vs Blackburn.

We also look considerably worse without McLean in the side but that's hardly surprising either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, CDMullins said:

Complete lack of strategy,

There's absolutely no way we were due to finish the game with Idah, Tzolis, Kamara and Sarge.

I think the idea there is pretty clear. He's trying to overload the middle with both Tzolis and Kamara who both naturally drift inside and Idah is an extra physical presence. I think that smart outside to inside movement from Tzolis is exactly what we were looking for. It also explains why he put Giannoulis on as he's better than McCallum going forward.

Obviously didn't work out today as Rotherham pushed back and forced a bunch of corners but I certainly don't think it's throwing players on blindly and hoping for the best.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure why you'd be surprised by that.

One win in six, three goals in those six games, all while having a golden opportunity to break into the top 6 which should be minimum expectation for this squad. 

I've been on this forum too long to be surprised by it. I guess I'm just an eternal optimist.

We're back to minimum expectation of top six for this squad now that top six is actually in reach again; I thought the consensus was they weren't as good as that of recent weeks.

It's like the minimum expectation is always slightly more than what we're achieving.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

5 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

guess I'm just an eternal optimist.

No , you're an eternal preacher, theres a difference.  Forever telling people how they should   feel/ react is preachy ....and sickening to hear over and over and over and over.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Deeply frustrating afternoon.

Positives- we looked very solid defensively. Hanley and Gibson shouldn't walk back in when fit.

Negatives- we looked less and less creative as the game went on and the subs made next to no impact. At no point in the final 20 did it feel like we had Rotherham pinned in. 

Looking solid against Hugill

My Granny would have looked positive against him 

38 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Did everybody follow orders and sing though ?

The crowd was good until they were let down by the minority who booed at the end. One of the better crowd performances of the season from what I could tell.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Did I seriously hear "MOTM Josh Sargent" as I left the ground today?????

People were laughing. It was a WTF moment for a player who yet again contributes nothing really.

I haven't looked back so apologize if I repeat anybody else.

I saw the starting line up - thought that's us done - Pukki out of form and frankly isn't hanging around anyway. Nowt to prove.

I wasn't disappointed at 0:0.

Pukki should be (super) sub from now on, Sergent to always start as CF. Wagner got this wrong 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Jheez "crowd performance" 🤔 

I've heard it all now 

Since I was young, 

I followed the, 

NCFC crowd, 

The crowd for me. 😂

We were great with the XC today. eXpected chants. 

• Haha 2