Sign in to follow this  
Yobocop

Hanley injury

The fact he was visibly in pain and the reaction from the players suggests it's a rupture. 

If we didn't feel we needed another CB we certainly do now, probably 2.

3 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

The fact he was visibly in pain and the reaction from the players suggests it's a rupture. 

If we didn't feel we needed another CB we certainly do now, probably 2.

Agree. I'd replace Gibson if a more aggressive and speedier left-pegger came around too.

14 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

If it’s ruptured it’s worse than a broken leg. Horrendous injury. Such a shame - Hanley is a good pro. 

The only time I ever played badminton a lady on the other side of the net collapsed. She was convinced she had been shot. This was 40 years ago and she took forever to get over it. She certainly didn't play sports again. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

I’m really apathetic about Hanley. I think he’s a stalwart and I wonder if we could find a decent replacement at this level with the £ we have but equally he just doesn’t seem boisterous enough as a leader and is one of the spine of the team relegated twice. 

Would love us to stumble on another new cb and have Hanley as an option on the bench next season. 

In terms of 'Norwich City', sure, he is one of the question marks in the 'refresh the squad argument'. It says a lot that Teemu and Krul followed the stretcher down the tunnel, you feel like their era of Norwich is drawing to a close.

My remorse is more for the player himself. Let's say it is 6 months recovery, missing pre-season- probably not ready to play until November/ December when he will be 32. One of his biggest assets is that surprising pace, which would naturally start diminishing by that age and most likely be exacerbated by the injury. TLDR, I don't think he will be the same player.

We would have no choice but to recruit a player capable of starting (whichever league we are in) so he could/would/should effectively be 4th choice by the time he's available again. In terms of Scotland, there are already younger players circling, so he's probably missing out there too.

If this injury is serious, I think the next time he's properly playing will be for Hibs or someone similar for the last year or two of his career. Quite sad as endings go.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

In terms of 'Norwich City', sure, he is one of the question marks in the 'refresh the squad argument'. It says a lot that Teemu and Krul followed the stretcher down the tunnel, you feel like their era of Norwich is drawing to a close.

My remorse is more for the player himself. Let's say it is 6 months recovery, missing pre-season- probably not ready to play until November/ December when he will be 32. One of his biggest assets is that surprising pace, which would naturally start diminishing by that age and most likely be exacerbated by the injury. TLDR, I don't think he will be the same player.

We would have no choice but to recruit a player capable of starting (whichever league we are in) so he could/would/should effectively be 4th choice by the time he's available again. In terms of Scotland, there are already younger players circling, so he's probably missing out there too.

If this injury is serious, I think the next time he's properly playing will be for Hibs or someone similar for the last year or two of his career. Quite sad as endings go.

Fair, bar this potential injury I think he had a few more seasons of solid play in him. But this could curtail his career you’re right. Fingers x’d it’s not as bad as it seems. 

57 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Tough Gig Parmo   , always  pi55es  me off when posters insult a player about his injuries. Anyone  who has been seriously involved at any decent level will understand what a nightmare injuries can be..watching your career fizzle out while you spend hours at rehab , gym , physio etc. 

For a minute i thought your mam had compiled a list of people involved in your injuries ..

.so she could hunt them down.😀😀😀

Infatti..una vera mamma siciliana 🦅😂

I’ve probably had more than 100 dislocations 🙈

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy

Our defence looked panicked after his injury. Its a big loss and he's our captain. I know the strikers get the glory but what a club asset. When is his contract up? 

looking at Hanley's injury on video replay, it looks like he won't e back this season (even if he's lucky enough to have a partial achilles tear instead of a complete rupture)

What's our best run-in defence going to be?

Max      Andrew     Ben or Sam B    Dimi or Sam Mc

1 hour ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Infatti..una vera mamma siciliana 🦅😂

I’ve probably had more than 100 dislocations 🙈

Parma 

My brief flirtation with non-league as a teenage centre back ended with a dislocated knee.  Entirely my own fault as I tried to do a quick turn on the ball which really wasn't in my skill set and evidently surprised my left leg which resolutely refused to comply with the rest of my body and stayed where it was.

Still played University 1XI but that was it in terms of any pretence at anything more.  Turning circle of an oil tanker after that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unlucky for Hanley, never nice to see players with serious injuries. Be interesting to see if we can recall Tomkinson and if he can play alongside Omobamedele, given how big these two youngsters are could be a formidable pairing with time.

6 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

The only time I ever played badminton a lady on the other side of the net collapsed. She was convinced she had been shot. This was 40 years ago and she took forever to get over it. She certainly didn't play sports again. 

Was she shot then?

11 minutes ago, Justin time said:

Was she shot then?

Very good! 

She had done something awful to her Achilles. Complained about being shot then passed out. But she was a girl after all. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

come on down, Byram.....  your chance to show what you've got

Are we talking scars or sick certificates?😁

8 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Agree. I'd replace Gibson if a more aggressive and speedier left-pegger came around too.

Gibson outstanding again yesterday

• Like 1

7 hours ago, damn that Ralph Coates! said:

come on down, Byram.....  your chance to show what you've got

For at least 10 minutes until you go off injured again!

Complete speculation but based on my recent experience of a slight tear on my Achilles during a dramatic lunge to return a badminton drop shot I’d guess Hanley has done something serious. I felt a slight pop and realised it was bad but managed to hobble around the court, walk out and drive home. I’d have gone down like a tonne of bricks like Hanley if it had been a rupture. 

38 minutes ago, Branston said:

Gibson outstanding again yesterday

Sure, but he's not really consistent. He's had a couple of occasions where he's had excellent games but not remotely kicked on.

14 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

Did mine two years ago at the age of 70 playing walk football. Luckily I didn't get a pot put on (they didn't need to get me up working did they) but limped around for a long time and I tried playing football again but the achilles just gets too painful.

Obviously not as bad as you chaps but painful enough. Know about it after a round of Golf.

Good for you, I was 45 at the time and ended up having an artificial ligament sew in as they had to chop back the ends of the tendon as they apparently looked like the ends of mops. Between doing the ankle and the operation was 3 days without pain-killers as it didn't hurt too much. Made a wonderful 'pop' when it went and I fell over.

22 hours ago, hogesar said:

Really poor post.

Not least because we were comfortably winning with him in the team, and we conceded more chances once he went off.

Very surprised at @shefcanary. Absolutely no problem with him not rating Hanley, but the lack of compassion for one of our most dedicated and long-serving pros is very surprising.

I think, like Kenny, he's one of those players that some people will only appreciate when they've left and we try to fill the gap they've left behind. Like Kenny, I'm not suggesting that Hanley is a PL-quality player, but he's as strong as an ox, tough as old boots, has a remarkable turn of pace and is excellent at getting his body in front of the ball and drawing fouls.

I can only hope that this is a 'tweak' rather than a rupture and he's back soon. Yes, we'd need to upgrade him if we want to reach our objective of getting to the PL and staying there, but you can't change the whole squad all at once, and seasoned pros such as Kenny and Grant add strength and continuity to our squad.

Edited by Feedthewolf
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Wagner says he will have a scan which suggests it's not a full on rupture where it's twanged back to his knee?

Likely to rule him out the rest of this season but hopefully a better prognosis for next 🤞

On 09/04/2023 at 07:41, Feedthewolf said:

Very surprised at @shefcanary. Absolutely no problem with him not rating Hanley, but the lack of compassion for one of our most dedicated and long-serving pros is very surprising.

I'm surprised why people have been surprised by my reaction. I have for a long time felt Hanley was the reason we have underperformed this year. I simply cannot understand why the management teams here have persevered with him for so long, and making him captain doubles up my misgivings that he must have something in his contract, because given the number of mistakes he's made and his lack of leadership on the pitch, there surely can be no sporting reason for his starting.  

He's had a goodish career and earned a fair amount of money, it's a career that always has the risk of serious injury around the corner.  He has done well to retain a place with a club like Norwich, but even if his career ended today he will have earned enough to have a comfortable post game life, although his disposition on the bench today implies that it isn't career defining.

Do we look any worse without him against what people expect to be a serious test of our central defence? In my view Omo looks extremely competent alongside the calming influence of Lungi. 

Apologies for triggering so many people, but my concern is for Norwich City, not Grant Hanley. In my view we are a better team without him in the side. I appreciate others may have a different opinion. So be it. 

12 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I'm surprised why people have been surprised by my reaction. I have for a long time felt Hanley was the reason we have underperformed this year. I simply cannot understand why the management teams here have persevered with him for so long, and making him captain doubles up my misgivings that he must have something in his contract, because given the number of mistakes he's made and his lack of leadership on the pitch, there surely can be no sporting reason for his starting.  

He's had a goodish career and earned a fair amount of money, it's a career that always has the risk of serious injury around the corner.  He has done well to retain a place with a club like Norwich, but even if his career ended today he will have earned enough to have a comfortable post game life, although his disposition on the bench today implies that it isn't career defining.

Do we look any worse without him against what people expect to be a serious test of our central defence? In my view Omo looks extremely competent alongside the calming influence of Lungi. 

Apologies for triggering so many people, but my concern is for Norwich City, not Grant Hanley. In my view we are a better team without him in the side. I appreciate others may have a different opinion. So be it. 

I largely agree with you but I do think your initial post was a bit harsh in that it seems like you're pleased he got injured. Yes he's earned good money but outside of a few very select scumbags I'll never be pleased to see a player injured.

• Like 1