cambridgeshire canary

Idah in a post Pukki Norwich..

Needs bona-fide wingers and probably a player in the hole (Dowell/Nunez) behind for the best out of Idah. Think there's some potential for entertainment if Rowe kicks on and Hernandez stays away from the physio's bench. Wingers would get the best out of Sargent too. Instead of putting both lads on the funk-king wing themselves!

We'll bring someone else in and we have Sarge. No need to jump on Idah, he's young and still got a few seasons before we start heaping pressure on his shoulders.

8 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

We'll bring someone else in and we have Sarge. No need to jump on Idah, he's young and still got a few seasons before we start heaping pressure on his shoulders.

Still got few seasons? Don't think football works like that. What,give him until he's 24,25 until we see the investment come to fruition? God,we'll be in Div.1 by then!!

57 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

Still got few seasons? Don't think football works like that.

Yes it does, he's not got the burden of being our main striking threat - That's for Sarge and whoever comes in over summer.

57 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

give him until he's 24,25 until we see the investment come to fruition? God,we'll be in Div.1 by then!!

And the sky wouldn't have fallen on your head in that time, either.

Edited by Google Bot

1 hour ago, Inch High aka Inchy.. said:

I'd be happy to wave both Sargent and Idah goodbye in May and find a couple of established strikers that can actually score goals.

to honest that goes for all the players 

22 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

Yes it does, he's not got the burden of being our main striking threat - That's for Sarge and whoever comes in over summer.

And the sky wouldn't have fallen on your head in that time, either.

So,give him a five year contract and tell him not to worry,no pressure,take your time,we'll buy someone else to do your job while we're waiting!!!!!Jesus,some people!!!!

3 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

So,give him a five year contract and tell him not to worry,no pressure,take your time,we'll buy someone else to do your job while we're waiting!!!!!Jesus,some people!!!!

Yes,I guess,whatever it takes,hes,a,young,player,just saying that he's not,,the primary focus,at this point!!!!!!!!!!Jesus,some people!!!!!

• Haha 1

He's never going to be good enough for this level, as much as fans are desperate for that not to be true.

He just hasn't got 'it' to be a striker at this level, can see him having a lengthy career somewhere like Swindon.

• Like 2

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

He just hasn't got 'it' to be a striker at this level, can see him having a lengthy career somewhere like Swindon.

I think you're right, just because Carlton came good eventually it bares no relevance to Idah's path.   In fact, I'd go as far to say that this 5 year contract is the worst thing that could've happened to him - look at the focus and negativity it's brought onto his shoulders already.

Without that contract, this thread would've been asking the question if Sarge can step it up.

People whining about his contract when they've no idea what's in it, or how much he's paid.

Given how much we shelled out on Sargent the question needs to be can he fill Pukki's boots? I fear the answer is no.

To have any chance of promotion assuming we fail to win the play-offs we need a lot better than Sargent and Idah as our main striker.

Over to you Webber.

Idah brings me no real optimism. Just being honest. Youth is a funny thing in footballing terms these days and I think in most cases true ‘youth’ potential cuts out before you’re 24/25 as by then you’ve at least shown some consistency in product. Idah has done it for about 4 games total. I know injuries and being picked wise it’s not a really fair judgement, but it’s where I find myself 

• Like 1

For those having a go at Idah, one wonders what stick Holty at a similar age was getting at Florist and before that the Wendies. He really struggled especially as he was invariably squeezed into a team and played on the wing. In fact he only really got going after he turned 25 and dropped down two divisions.

• Like 1

I really don't understand the negativity about his contract. Surely it just gives the club control? He turns into the player they hope he will, hopefully the length of the contract means we'll be able to command a decent fee for him if bigger clubs are interested. If those who see him as a L1 striker are correct, then at least we'll get some money for him if we decide to offload him to a club below us (assuming we aren't a L1 club by then...). And of course it doesn't stop him going on loan next season. Really don't understand why the contract is being used as a stick to beat him with. What's the downside?

Edited by Robert N. LiM
typo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I really don't understand the negativity about his contract. Surely it just gives the club control? He turns into the player they hope he will, hopefully the length of the contract means we'll be able to command a decent fee for him if bigger clubs are interested. If those who see him as a L1 striker are correct, then at least we'll get some money for him if we decide to offload him to a club below us (assuming we aren't a L1 club by then...). And of course it doesn't stop him going on loan next season. Really don't understand why the contract is being used as a stick to beat him with. What's the downside?

You could argue a) because we'll be playing him wages which could go to a better player, b) he'll be blocking the progress of a younger player with greater potential. But if he's loaned out, both of these arguments become much less pertinent.

Personally, I'm more worried about the assumption many seem to have on here that Sargent is ready to step up to the plate. He had a little purple patch for us at the start of this season but apart from that he has looked pretty poor. And if he was going to suddenly blossom, he's had a hell of a lot of games to do so and hasn't.

I think we're going to have to buy a replacement for Pukki unless one of the kids turns up trumps.

Edited by canarybubbles

2 hours ago, Google Bot said:

Ferguson at Brighton is younger and banging them in. 

Idah is no longer a young prospect.

If anything makes me sadder than the announcement of Pukki leaving, it's the thought anyone sees Idah as being the guy to replace him!

• Like 4

Idah needs game time, our side would suffer in the mean time as he learns. It's exactly the job of a loan, which has really affected his development by not having one.

Sargent when played properly looked capable of landing a 20-goal season IMO. 

I think who is available/ affordable will dictate whether Idah is considered a front line option for us.

You're having a laugh aren't you?

If we go into next season hoping Idah will step up and be the one who scores our goals, we will be relegated.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GodlyOtsemobor said:

Needs a loan - then either start sarge as the main striker or sign a main striker and have sarge fight it out with the newbie. 

He's 22

And played almost 100 professional games.

If can't do it now having played in the Premier League then there's nothing a loan at Fleetwood would help him with 

1 hour ago, shefcanary said:

For those having a go at Idah, one wonders what stick Holty at a similar age was getting at Florist and before that the Wendies. He really struggled especially as he was invariably squeezed into a team and played on the wing. In fact he only really got going after he turned 25 and dropped down two divisions.

We can't afford to find out...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

You're having a laugh aren't you?

If we go into next season hoping Idah will step up and be the one who scores our goals, we will be relegated.

Surely Sargent will be scoring all the goals?

He must be awesome in training but never looks like scoring in a match. Can’t see him ever hitting double figures in a season at Norwich. 

43 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Surely Sargent will be scoring all the goals?

Got a funny feeling Sarge might go in summer 

Not set the world alight here but looked good through the middle at the start of season 

i think he will get a move to a top league maybe lower Spanish side Italian or maybe Germany 

a lot depends on agents and how they see the club going 

remember Sarge signed when we were PL maybe stay for a push this season but next ? 

26 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Got a funny feeling Sarge might go in summer 

Not set the world alight here but looked good through the middle at the start of season 

i think he will get a move to a top league maybe lower Spanish side Italian or maybe Germany 

a lot depends on agents and how they see the club going 

remember Sarge signed when we were PL maybe stay for a push this season but next ? 

I wouldn't be upset at all to see Sargent leave.

It was embarrassing earlier in the season when some were making out he was some sort of "cult hero", he's a dreadful footballer who will never score us enough goals. Funny also how he seems to have downed tools since the World Cup. Just the type of player we need...

15 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

I wouldn't be upset at all to see Sargent leave.

It was embarrassing earlier in the season when some were making out he was some sort of "cult hero", he's a dreadful footballer who will never score us enough goals. Funny also how he seems to have downed tools since the World Cup. Just the type of player we need...

He's not downed tools he's been thrown on the wing which he cant play on. He had his goal streak when played as a striker.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

He's not downed tools he's been thrown on the wing which he cant play on. He had his goal streak when played as a striker.

He's been nowhere near as good since the World Cup. Yes he's been injured and yes he's been playing on the wing but then so has Idah (and a much more serious injury) but that isn't an acceptable excuse. As someone described him on a recent matchday thread 'he has the first touch of a trampoline'. 

He needs to step up as well as Idah, even more so.

Sargent will be eyeing up the 2026 WC in the US before too long. I doubt he'll want to stay here unless we're Premier League.

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

He needs to step up as well as Idah, even more so.

When Pukki was out he did step up, and was joint top scorer in the league, unless i've remembered things incorrectly?

• Like 1