Sign in to follow this  
GodlyOtsemobor

Potter leaves Chelski

I think it's a massive shame for English football that he has failed. The big six clubs never take chances on young English coaches (Lampard aside, who got the job based on the fact he was a club legend) so it's disappointing that when the first time it happens in a decade, he finds himself sacked within seven months. He was out of his depth, admittedly, but Chelsea are a total basketcase at the moment and even a top coach would've struggled.

It's quite hilarious though that the combined cost of paying off Tuchel and his backroom staff, and then poaching Potter and his staff from Brighton, was said to be over £30m. And the whole thing has gone **** up in seven months.

• Like 4

Football is a harsh business and it is Results based 

Potter has not had chelsea playing well and results not been good enough 

the big clubs can not afford or need to wait for a 5 year plan etc 

that is what is so Annoying about our DOF 's recruitment 

everyone can see it has failed in recent seasons but we keep him even though he has failed badly 

you have to be ruthless to progress sometimes 

Absolutely no surprise the job sadly was far too big for him. I'd expect Nagelsman announced within a few days.

3 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

that is what is so Annoying about our DOF 's recruitment 

everyone can see it has failed in recent seasons but we keep him even though he has failed badly 

you have to be ruthless to progress sometimes 

I'd say Webber as DoF at Norwich is quite similar to Rodgers as head coach at Leicester. 

Both did a phenomenal job for the first three years or so, but this season has been pretty poor and they've basically taken their clubs, in their respective roles, back to where they started. 

I said last summer that Webber had reached the end of his cycle and should've left while he still had credit in the bank and before the dissent and bedsheets started to turn nasty, and in hindsight, that would have been the best outcome for both parties. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'd say Webber as DoF at Norwich is quite similar to Rodgers as head coach at Leicester. 

Both did a phenomenal job for the first three years or so, but this season has been pretty poor and they've basically taken their clubs, in their respective roles, back to where they started. 

I said last summer that Webber had reached the end of his cycle and should've left while he still had credit in the bank and before the dissent and bedsheets started to turn nasty, and in hindsight, that would have been the best outcome for both parties. 

Yes thats exactly right ,

everything has a lifespan for different reasons like Lambert , Farke etc 

Webber has done a good job in the past but those seasons are getting further away each week time to go 

Rodgers lost to many big players like Schmeichel and vardy has been missing to much of the season 

those players made and were such a big part of how leicester played 

but it is Rodgers job to overcome those hurdles and he has failed to replace those players 

16 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

Arteta says hi.

8th, 8th, 5th... now 1st.

The way Chelsea keep trying to spend their way to success in every window is really a bit silly. The difference when Abramovich would change manager regularly is that they had a core of experienced pros, dressing room leaders, Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, then loyal servants who were loyal to those core, Ashley Cole, Obi Mikel. 

Constant chopping and changing isn't giving them time to develop any sort of healthy dressing room dynamic and they are buying really young players like Fernandez, Felix, Fofana.

They do actually need to pick a manager and then give that manager time, no idea if Potter would have been the right one to persevere with, but I can't see any manager going in there and achieving quick success.

Edited by JuanVelasco
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

Gosh, what a surprise 🤪

Whose next ?

Moyes if they drop back into the bottom 3.

I suspect Klopp has enough credit in the bank for his departure to be presented as a mutual parting of ways at the end of the season. I can see him moving on, their squad needs major surgery and Liverpool are said to not be in the healthiest position financially, Klopp is going to want £200m to buy himself a whole new midfield isn't he.

Said at the time should never have left Brighton when he did. Had them playing cracking football (and they still are, pushing for European places).

All it takes is to dangle a cheque in front of someone and they're off.

And before some smart ars* says "You'd leave your job if they offered to double your salary" - we're not talking about someone on £30,000 a year - he would have already been set up for a very comfortable life on what Brighton were paying him.

Greed.

17 minutes ago, JuanVelasco said:

Arteta says hi.

8th, 8th, 5th... now 1st.

The way Chelsea keep trying to spend their way to success in every window is really a bit silly. The difference when Abramovich would change manager regularly is that they had a core of experienced pros, dressing room leaders, Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, then loyal servants who were loyal to those core, Ashley Cole, Obi Mikel. 

Constant chopping and changing isn't giving them time to develop any sort of healthy dressing room dynamic and they are buying really young players like Fernandez, Felix, Fofana.

They do actually need to pick a manager and then give that manager time, no idea if Potter would have been the right one to persevere with, but I can't see any manager going in there and achieving quick success.

yes good point !

Chelsea though won their last title in 2016/17

Arsenal you have to go back 2003/2004 

so Arsenal had no other choice their model was not working were Chelsea  model has had success in more recent years 

Arsenal now though are much stronger because of Arteta and the work he has done the building blocks have been put in place for success for maybe a good few years 

Almost all of the clubs in that bottom nine have changed their manager, some in 2023. Not done the trick as it is pretty much the same clubs still there. No Moyes would be the likely one next to get the boot.... by mutual agreement

3 minutes ago, PockthorpePete said:

I didn't realise Wagner was a PL manager, you learn something everyday on here.

Might be in 6 weeks time 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Richard Richard said:

Said at the time should never have left Brighton when he did. Had them playing cracking football (and they still are, pushing for European places).

And before some smart ars* says "You'd leave your job if they offered to double your salary" - we're not talking about someone on £30,000 a year - he would have already been set up for a very comfortable life on what Brighton were paying him.

Greed.

I don’t think people in Potter’s situation are driven by money. You say yourself he’s already very comfortably off so having an even bigger pile of cash won’t change his lifestyle at all.

He’ll be much more motivated by the chance to manage one of the big six and try to push on to the very top. However much he achieved at Brighton he was always going to jump at the chance to manage Chelski. It’s the way of the world. He’s died trying but better that than sit regretting he never took the chance.

Edited by Hairy Canary
  • Like 2

Fair point and I do understand the motivation to try and achieve success - which would appear, on paper at least, more likely at Chelsea then Brighton.

Just have an issue with lack of loyalty, more so players than managers. Things are just so mercenary and, more often than not, motivated by a payday.

Point in case is Messi trying to get as much as he possibly can from his next move (Saudi team? - can't remember exactly what I read recently). The man is worth hundreds of millions.

What an amazing gesture if one of these superstar players waived their wages for their last season and went to play for their home/first side for free? A returning hero kind of scenario and they'd be a legend at that club forever.

I know I'm dreaming and it would never happen!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Richard Richard said:

Greed.

Disagree entirely. 

He had taken Brighton to the limit of their potential: they're never going to be a side who will push for the top four and compete for trophies on a regular basis.

This was possibly the only chance he'd ever get to coach a genuine top club, which does compete for trophies and plays in Europe pretty much every season (except next season, in all likelihood).

He'd be mad to turn it down, and no matter how successful he'd be at Brighton, the 'what if' element would probably gnaw away at him for the rest of his life. 

Even if the money on offer was the same as he was earning at Brighton, I'm sure he still would've taken the job.

• Like 3

I think this is just another sign of the madness of football which when mixed with the toxicity of social media makes it almost impossible for managers.

There are very few managers that can go into a new football club and achieved sustained success from the off. Clubs that display a level of patience tend to be so much better off for it, pep had a season (with the richest club), Klopp had 3, Ferguson much more, arteta has now had four, you do get the occasional wenger, tuchel, mourinho but they are the exception not the rule.

maybe potter was a poor selection from the off but surely having shelled out £21m you have to give him the summer and the start of next season to bed in a team and a style of play??

The social media impact is huge though, even Norwich had local individuals like Rob butler or the TNC boys effectively completely over estimate the club and build pressure on a generational manager in Farke, where has that got us? Absolutely no where!

I hope clubs like West Ham reap the benefits of their patience, it’s where we are now, no point with the high as a kite approach after a win and the we’re garbage after we lose.

14 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Disagree entirely. 

He had taken Brighton to the limit of their potential: they're never going to be a side who will push for the top four and compete for trophies on a regular basis.

This was possibly the only chance he'd ever get to coach a genuine top club, which does compete for trophies and plays in Europe pretty much every season (except next season, in all likelihood).

He'd be mad to turn it down, and no matter how successful he'd be at Brighton, the 'what if' element would probably gnaw away at him for the rest of his life. 

Even if the money on offer was the same as he was earning at Brighton, I'm sure he still would've taken the job.

Admittedly I never had much ambition in my footballing days! Could have played better standard than I did but ended up rather playing with my mates and going down the pub after.

Probably explains my stance on things!

Potter to Leicester nailed on, Smacks of the Norwich and Smith appointment situation.  Leicester knew Potter was going to be sacked and will have lined him up in advance.

I could be wrong of course....

I don't think Potter had much say in recruitment and never really had a chance to shape the team. Too much meddling from the Sporting Director.

I can't stand Chelsea or their fans, so he's better off away.

I hope he takes a break from footy for the rest of the season. Leicester would be a disaster at this point in time, a panic appointment much like Smith was.

13 hours ago, Richard Richard said:

What an amazing gesture if one of these superstar players waived their wages for their last season and went to play for their home/first side for free? A returning hero kind of scenario and they'd be a legend at that club forever.

I know I'm dreaming and it would never happen!

Isn't that what Carlos Tevez did? Just saying, there are people like that out there, don't despair too much.

I can see Potter to Leicester, a Brighton type club and good fit, Chelsea is a bag****e of a club….like Spurs just never going to compete with the big boys of Man City, Man U & Newcastle with their power now!