Sign in to follow this  
City fan

Like him or lothe him.

The club needs another Paul Lambert appointment. A manager who can motivate average players and find lower league players. 

The club doesn't have the money for a big spend rebuild. 

Just now, City fan said:

and find lower league players. 

Worthington did similar with the likes of Drury and McKenzie out of League One and Gary Holt from Kilmarnock.

• Like 1

Was a great manager for us but his biggest mistake was leaving us.

If he’d have stayed with us I reckon he’d have gone on to a really big club, Man United or someone.

Turns out he ended up managing the scum, so he’s dead to me. Watching him get dragged off the pitch was glorious.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

This should be a poll.

I vote for lothe. The Ipswich thing can't be forgiven.

Nathan Jones is the new Paul Lambert. Started promisingly but jumped ship because he thought the grass was greener. Will get a couple more jobs and fail before disappearing. 

1 hour ago, City fan said:

The club needs another Paul Lambert appointment. A manager who can motivate average players and find lower league players. 

Lambert didn't "find" lower league players. That was Karsa.

In many ways, that set up wasn't that far off what we had, Karsa was head of player recruitment I believe, so essentially he was performing some of the duties that Webber performs. He was between McNally and Lambert. Lambert would have had input on recruitment too, of that there is no doubt, but it's almost certain Karsa took a lead on player signings.

Culverhouse was the coach that put his arm around shoulders, was a bit more personable. Lambert led training, team selection etc.

In many senses it mirrors the set up of Webber, Wagner and the next coach to him. With Smith it was Shakey. 

But I don't disagree. For me, that was the best period I have seen since Worthington (who one has to also remember was manager of York when a young Godfrey was given his break). 

Edited by chicken

We definitely don't need a new manager. We need to be patient and get behind the team. It's going to take a while to get back on track and, while we do, we need consistency above all. The last thing we want is more disruption and change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lambert has been a failure everywhere since here, literally no interest.

Wagner got a very unfancied Huddersfield side promoted. Is the OP saying he wants rid of Wagner already?

10 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Lambert has been a failure everywhere since here, literally no interest.

Wagner got a very unfancied Huddersfield side promoted. Is the OP saying he wants rid of Wagner already?

Wagner has failed wherever he's been since Huddersfield. He was a very cheap and cheerful fix for City. 

1 hour ago, Chelm Canary said:

Arguably his only successful stint as a manager was managing us. He never replicated that elsewhere. 

I'd argue that he did a good job at Villa considering the budget situation, he maintained Premier League football on a constantly shrinking budget and had to rely on bargain basement signings (by Prem standards), plus was the only manager in England to ever really get Benteke playing at his best. 

Seemed to rush into opportunities after that rather than stepping back and thinking through his next move. 

Ipswich though has just finished him, damaged goods in England. Think finishing off with a few years in Scotland is the best thing for him now. 

42 minutes ago, chicken said:

Culverhouse was the coach that put his arm around shoulders, was a bit more personable. Lambert led training, team selection etc

Think you've got that completely the wrong way around to be honest. 

Culverhouse was the tactician and led training, Lambert was the man manager and motivator.

Been several Under the Cosh episodes now with players who played under Lambert who have praised his man management skills, at Villa, Blackburn and Norwich.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, chicken said:

Lambert didn't "find" lower league players. That was Karsa.

In many ways, that set up wasn't that far off what we had, Karsa was head of player recruitment I believe, so essentially he was performing some of the duties that Webber performs. He was between McNally and Lambert. Lambert would have had input on recruitment too, of that there is no doubt, but it's almost certain Karsa took a lead on player signings.

Culverhouse was the coach that put his arm around shoulders, was a bit more personable. Lambert led training, team selection etc.

Wrong and wrong , I’m afraid . I spent time at Colney at this time working part time with Colin Watts. 

Gary Karsa wasn’t head of recruitment . Karsa had a strange role - best way to describe it was a link between the academy and the first team. He had been head of youth development with Lambert at Wycombe and they just went everywhere as a team with multi functional  roles.  Culverhouse took training and was certainly the tactician . Lambert was the boss. Not overly pleasant but the character that Karsa and Culverhouse used when necessary. Lambert was a boll0cker and motivator when required. 

I remember being at the end of season dinner the season we went up to the Prem. Lambert spoke and slaughtered every player “did you borrow those shoes ,son?” to Simeon Jackson was just an example. All good when Cully and Karsa picked up the pieces but when they were replaced at Villa by Roy Keane…. well you know the rest of that . 

Lambert is a nasty twàt who spent far too much time at Dunston Hall and not enough with Mrs Lambert . 

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

1 hour ago, City fan said:

Wagner has failed wherever he's been since Huddersfield. He was a very cheap and cheerful fix for City. 

Didn't directly answer my question but I suppose you've made a pleasantly lazy assumption.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Think you've got that completely the wrong way around to be honest. 

Culverhouse was the tactician and led training, Lambert was the man manager and motivator.

Been several Under the Cosh episodes now with players who played under Lambert who have praised his man management skills, at Villa, Blackburn and Norwich.

Sure, happy to be corrected on that.

I've heard from others that Lambert was more distant, but sure, either way. Pretty sure it is Karsa that is largely said to be the one that helped to identify and bring players in. Which then gave more time to Lambert and Culverhouse to focus on the players already in the building.

Certainly, giving ALL the credit for signing players to Lambert is inaccurate. As others know, it started to fall apart at Villa when that trio was broken up. In a way, I'd love to see if they could reproduce it again. Karsa is at QPR and in charge of their academy recruitment now. 

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Lambert is a nasty twàt who spent far too much time at Dunston Hall and not enough with Mrs Lambert . 

It was always a bit strange that Karsa followed Lambert to Villa in the first place, as he was going through marital strife and then a split wasn't he, and Gary Karsa was his brother in law, I always assumed brother of his wife.

Could be wrong, if Paul Lambert has a sister could be husband of his sister?

Culverhouse still lives in Norwich I believe. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

It was always a bit strange that Karsa followed Lambert to Villa in the first place, as he was going through marital strife and then a split wasn't he, and Gary Karsa was his brother in law, I always assumed brother of his wife.

Could be wrong, if Paul Lambert has a sister could be husband of his sister?

Culverhouse still lives in Norwich I believe. 

Karsa Cully and Lambert went as a package. Karsa was always going to go wherever Lambert went . That’s why the fallout over “Bullying” was so acrimonious. Lambert threw them under the bus. It was the beginning of the end for him and his career. 
The three of them did ok at Villa and kept them up which with hindsight was a good result . 
After that at Stoke Wolves and  Blackburn it wasn’t a success and the final disaster was the Binners . All without the two guys with whom he had the biggest success. 

I attended an event with Webber who was very open and told a great story about the day Lambert came to Norwich with the Binners the day he got sent off. I suspect some of it was confidential so not for now but the gist of it is Lambert was a cöck. 

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I attended an event with Webber who was very open and told a great story about the day Lambert came to Norwich with the Binners the day he got sent off. 

Was so obvious that he knew he couldn't win the game so thought he'd try and impress the neanderthals by getting himself sent off instead, was pathetic really. However weren't we painting the away dressing room pink in those days, doing our best to get under the skin of the opposition ha

• Like 1

Yeh Wagner out.

He won the first two, got found out by top of the table and a team in a purple patch of form.

Bring back Alex Neil.

Seriously some of your morons need to get your head out of your arses because if your as dumb as your opinions and posts suggest you really do need help

• Like 4

I heard this at the time. Worked with a Glasgow girl who knew the family. I think she said she babysat for the family back in his Celtic days. Apparently he was a total **** to his wife and wasn't much better with his kids. Took it with the required pinch of salt at the time, but there have been so many similar stories over the years that it's difficult not to believe it now.

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Loathe

Lothe ..for me every time as I love a new word to add my vast lexicon 🤗

• Haha 1

A quote that Webber used that afternoon was around the fun the City bench had that day. They knew Lambert was wired and he had told all of ITFC players to leave their mark. It started badly when Sears flew into a tackle and injured himself . Chambers obviously (having the brain of a gnat) was trying  to wind the back room staff up  pre match .

Not only did they get beat 3 nil (and completely outplayed) they also got a shock when the City bench went after them. Lambert and Chambers had not expected it but , as Webber said at the time … 

“The backroom lads  never go looking for trouble. But they love it when trouble finds them”. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, C.I.D said:

Lothe ..for me every time as I love a new word to add my vast lexicon 🤗

And me too. Used to luv him but then it changed. Lothed him even before he went to the binners. Though I loved seeing my second team (Bradford) knock out Villa in the cup when former binner Bent came on late and missed a siter. I had changed my mind when he gave those fist pumps at Carrow Rd when Villa beat us. A shocking thing for an ex manager to do, when fans only ever gave him their huge support and respect. By all means be angry with the Norwich City board but keep that private and don't offend the fans that have supported you for years. He showed us the 'man' he was didn't he. 

Ps. I did also wonder whether Lothe was a mnemonic too (loss of the huge ego)😉

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I thought spending to much time with a bottle  was the issue. I guess there's a bar at Dunston. F****** expensive tho!

5 hours ago, City fan said:

Et over it. Lambert was a decade ago. We’ve had an absolutely fantastic manager since. We can’t simply bleat about the manager every few games. We need to give Wagner a decent chance. Walker and Brown were fantastic too, but I’m not suggesting we bring them back. Lamberts later appointments tend to prove that he’s lost whatever he had.

5 hours ago, City fan said:

Gibbs was definitely a lower league player...

• Haha 1

Karsa Cully and Lambert went as a package. Karsa was always going to go wherever Lambert went . That’s why the fallout over “Bullying” was so acrimonious. Lambert threw them under the bus. It was the beginning of the end for him and his career. 
The three of them did ok at Villa and kept them up which with hindsight was a good result . 
After that at Stoke Wolves and  Blackburn it wasn’t a success and the final disaster was the Binners . All without the two guys with whom he had the biggest success. 

I attended an event with Webber who was very open and told a great story about the day Lambert came to Norwich with the Binners the day he got sent off. I suspect some of it was confidential so not for now but the gist of it is Lambert was a cöck. 

I’m not sure Villa fans thought he was a success!!

6 hours ago, City fan said:

We have a manager who looks like he can and has a history of motivating average players in this league and above.

As to finding lower league players, that is simply a change of philosophy, we don’t need a new face to achieve it.

This forum is hilarious!    

It seems a clear majority of fans have no clue about our club or football generally, they change their opinions fixture to fixture!    Four games and this manager needs to go!    Two games ago, we were going up, the debate was just whether we could catch Burnley or not.... Two games ago, Dowell was all of a sudden re-born, a revelation, somehow, McLean is a genius!   

Managers and players keep repeating how much quality is in this club.... and most on here keep believing it!     

Wagner may turn out to be an astute choice but he can't polish a turd!    This squad isn't getting promoted... not even if Pep steps down to have a crack at it!    it needs so much more quality, it needs a group of players capable of playing the required style or a change in philosophy to suit these players whatever that might be.    I say suit these players, probably mean to get the best out of them as they don't seem a well selected mix to me.... lightweight, slow, tired, lacking confidence, lacking quality or leadership but particularly a playing philosophy the players are capable of performing against the better teams.  

Not that it would or should happen, changing managers isn't going to change the facts!     

All we can hope is that Wagner quickly recognises the problems, that McLean has never been the answer, (for the time being Gibbs needs experience for starters) that we need pace, power, better quality, that this group can't play from the back, that you don't accommodate players into the team for sake's sake (Sargent, Dowell), that it's tired (the mainstays no longer have desire), that it needs inspiration that can only come with major turnover of players.   Time to take stock, get real, recognise that this needs time and regeneration, something that can't happen while the club strives painfully for this ridiculous ideal of promotion.  

A promotion at this time would be absolute torture!  

Edited by ged in the onion bag

4 hours ago, hogesar said:

Didn't directly answer my question but I suppose you've made a pleasantly lazy assumption.

Lambert did fail everywhere he went after his time at city. Some managers are a one club managers, Lambert being one of them as has Wagner.