Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

The last time we won a match at Carrow Road was October

11 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Is it just a coincidence our home form has been awful this season or do you think there may be more to it?

Are the Away team dressing rooms still painted pink?

Time for a calm green?

Or paint our own pink?

• Haha 1

Isn't it something like 1 home win in 11? Add to that the pathetic number of home wins last season and the season before that we couldn't even get in the ground, it's coming up 3 years since I've seen anything good at Carrow Rd.

This group of players for some reason hate playing at home and the fans are starting to hate going to see them.

• Like 1

I’ll be honest, I expected us to lose yesterday’s game. Burnley are on fire and while we got two great results under Wagner so far it was clear there were still a lot of things wrong as that first half chaos against Coventry proved.

I’ll be honest what surprised me was how quickly Carrow Road went from bouncing to getting on our players backs. Yes Krul’s error was unbelievably poor, but atmosphere after seemed tense to angry every time we had the ball in our back 3rd.

I think in the long run that result won’t matter, you look at the next half dozen or so games and they’re all winnable including at home. That’s where Wagner needs to continue to get this team performing, yesterday was just too early for such a big challenge (I hope).

It was pretty grounding, bringing us back down to Earth with an almighty bump.

Fail to beat Hull though…

Edited by Monty13
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

I’ll be honest, I expected us to lose yesterday’s game. Burnley are on fire and while we got two great results under Wagner so far it was clear there were still a lot of things wrong as that first half chaos against Coventry proved.

I’ll be honest what surprised me was how quickly Carrow Road went from bouncing to getting on our players backs. Yes Krul’s error was unbelievably poor, but atmosphere after seemed tense to angry every time we had the ball in our back 3rd.

I think in the long run that result won’t matter, you look at the next half dozen or so games and they’re all winnable including at home. That’s where Wagner needs to continue to get this team performing, yesterday was just too early for such a big challenge (I hope).

It was pretty grounding, bringing us back down to Earth with an almighty bump.

Fail to beat Hull though…

Burnley have now won what.. 9 in a row? Only need one more win to break championsip win records if the Sky commenter yesterday was right. Fair to say they are the best team in the divison and they will fully deserve their promotion.

End of the day I would have been happy with a draw. I saw quite a few people on social media saying that we should win and that we "deserve" to win.  Based on what? We have been pretty poor this season bar some good results here and there. There seems to be quite a few people in our fan base who seem to have got a little arogant. Seem to think we have some kind of divine right to be in the top two and to win every match in the Championship just beacause we happen to have won it the last two times we were in it. 

The thing is that yes Wagner might be a better manager than Smith. He may get us playing more fancy and free flowing football that those who still dream of Farke no doubt want to see us play like. But the fact is that nobody in the Championship has a right to win the divison if they don't put in good and consistent performances. Can you really say we have done that this season?

Much as it may be a bitter pill to swallow as of right now our team just does not seem good enough for promotion. It seems clear to me that what Burnley have done might be something we need to start thinking about doing. To wipe the slate clean and build a new team beacause honestly this team of players bar a few standouts are rather bang average and not exactly league winning material, regardless of the fact that some of them have indeed won it all before.

And starting out your match againt the best team in the divison having your goal keeper pass the ball to them and pretty much gifting them a goal it's fair to say is not a good look.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

The atmosphere has been awful at home all season (and pretty much since Smith arrived.) This was Wagners first league game, and after winning the previous 2 league games scoring 8 goals.

Yesterday the fans were on the players back very quickly. Anyone with any ounce of knowledge (or research) about Wagner would know how his teams play, but that didn't stop the constant and almost instant loud criticism whenever Krul rolled the ball out or when we moved it around at the back or when McLean passed it backwards.

The huge sarcastic roar when Krul did kick a goal kick long? The silence that filled the stadium in between the groans and abuse? The loud audible laugh when Kenny was announced as MOTM? Yeh, it's baffling the players don't want to playt home. 

Long ball debate is elsewhere on the board (as is the debate on the importance of fans at games) but for fans to think thats what Wagner was going to bring to the club, is laughable.

Edited by Fiery Zac

Isn't it time the players actually gave the crowd something to support at home though. For whatever reason, the team never seem to come out of the blocks fast, thus gaining the early momentum. They only "build" into the match. Very often that means the opposition has already taken the lead.

In my opinion Wagner has to look at yesterday and accept if he wants full throttle support they have to earn it right from the start. It really is unfair to blame a crowd that has had to put up with poor performances for so long.

I’m not reading into this too much. Most of those home games were under Dean Smith, 2 under Wagner, one where he literally arrived the day before and another against the best team in the league.

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

The atmosphere has been awful at home all season (and pretty much since Smith arrived.) This was Wagners first league game, and after winning the previous 2 league games scoring 8 goals.

Yesterday the fans were on the players back very quickly. Anyone with any ounce of knowledge (or research) about Wagner would know how his teams play, but that didn't stop the constant and almost instant loud criticism whenever Krul rolled the ball out or when we moved it around at the back or when McLean passed it backwards.

The huge sarcastic roar when Krul did kick a goal kick long? The silence that filled the stadium in between the groans and abuse? The loud audible laugh when Kenny was announced as MOTM? Yeh, it's baffling the players don't want to playt home. 

Long ball debate is elsewhere on the board (as is the debate on the importance of fans at games) but for fans to think thats what Wagner was going to bring to the club, is laughable.

Yeah our fans were a complete and utter embarrassment. Concerned none of them have paid any attention to Wagner already. He made it clear we would play out from the back and take risks. Our best openings came from us doing it to, despite the sarcasm and jeers for doing it.

Going to away games is far more enjoyable. The entitlement and lack of support from our home fans has been raised by a consistent stream of away fans that have come to carrow Road this season. Before it was all blamed on Smith yet for Wagners first game it was terrible.

Had an unfriendly exchange in lower barclay as some bloke constantly shouted at Krul to smash it long to Sargent. I pointed out Sargent wasn't winning any aerial battles so far so it's just coming to come straight back. His response was Krul is a c*nt.

I think we need to be careful and try not to go down the rabbit hole of blaming the fans. Tim Krul made the terrible, unforced mistake, not the fans and from a footballing perspective that terrible, unforced error put us in a terrible position. I can only speak about where I sit at CR and where I sat the moaning was very much in the minority and I personally did not hear any laughter re the MOTM announcement.

Again from a personal perspective I was not surprised we lost, we came up against a very well organised team that are on a roll, that said take the mistake out of the equation and it would have been 0-0 at half time.

Some fans like to blame the referee for defeats, some like to blame the fans, the fact is we came up against a very good team yesterday a team in red hot form and were given a footballing lesson and we contributed to our defeat by making an unforced error and from woeful defending at set pieces, that is not the fans fault, it really is as simple as that..........

5 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

I think we need to be careful and try not to go down the rabbit hole of blaming the fans. Tim Krul made the terrible, unforced mistake, not the fans and from a footballing perspective that terrible, unforced error put us in a terrible position. I can only speak about where I sit at CR and where I sat the moaning was very much in the minority and I personally did not hear any laughter re the MOTM announcement.

Again from a personal perspective I was not surprised we lost, we came up against a very well organised team that are on a roll, that said take the mistake out of the equation and it would have been 0-0 at half time.

Some fans like to blame the referee for defeats, some like to blame the fans, the fact is we came up against a very good team yesterday a team in red hot form and were given a footballing lesson and we contributed to our defeat by making an unforced error and from woeful defending at set pieces, that is not the fans fault, it really is as simple as that..........

Not sure anyone is blaming the fans. Only reporting what they see/feel in the stadium.

Just to add  the rabbit hole of the blame culture is continually wanting the next recipient sacked.

Edited by nutty nigel

There were 35 posts on the ‘ Burnley Predictions ‘ thread and apart from our resident comedian no one went for an away win.

Perhaps those two great away wins blinded us to our limitations? Even the bookies had us down as marginal favourites which seemed odd.

Not sure if people were worried about the flak coming their way if they said Burnley would win but with our shocking home form right now anyone thinking we’d win against any team would be almost blind faith.

I couldn’t go yesterday and watched it on TV. The atmosphere was pumped up before KO but that soon fizzled out once they kicked off and Krul made his usual blooper. There seemed to be periods when you could’ve heard a pin drop and even the Burnley fans sounded subdued.

We certainly need to sort out that home form if we’ve any chance of making the end of the season interesting

3 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

There were 35 posts on the ‘ Burnley Predictions ‘ thread and apart from our resident comedian no one went for an away win.

Perhaps those two great away wins blinded us to our limitations? Even the bookies had us down as marginal favourites which seemed odd.

Not sure if people were worried about the flak coming their way if they said Burnley would win but with our shocking home form right now anyone thinking we’d win against any team would be almost blind faith.

I couldn’t go yesterday and watched it on TV. The atmosphere was pumped up before KO but that soon fizzled out once they kicked off and Krul made his usual blooper. There seemed to be periods when you could’ve heard a pin drop and even the Burnley fans sounded subdued.

We certainly need to sort out that home form if we’ve any chance of making the end of the season interesting

I did. Duncan joked 6-1 to Burnley and even popped in an attendance figure, but if you check that thread I said that whilst I could see us winning, I thought it was more likely Burnley would and said 3-1 to them.

Edited by TheGunnShow

1 minute ago, TheGunnShow said:

I did. Duncan joked 6-1 to Burnley and even popped in an attendance figure, but if you check that thread I said that whilst I could see us winning, I thought it was more likely Burnley would and said 3-1 to them.

Apologies. Didn’t spot that. Fair play for putting your head above the parapet ( wink )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Apologies. Didn’t spot that. Fair play for putting your head above the parapet ( wink )

Didn't quite get the course of the game right, I said "after a spirited scrap", but it was pretty one-sided. Mind you, you can't really expect your goalie to pull out the pass of the game for the first assist to them like that. 😄 

• Haha 1

There would appear to be a big disconnect between the players and the fans.

The only player who has anywhere near 100% support from the fans is Pukki, a star fading fast with the dearth of opportunities supplied by his teammates this past season and a half. Not one of our team yesterday would improve the Burnley side. Not one of our squad would be good enough to play in any PL team, including Southampton right at the bottom. Maybe Pukki at a push.

Every other player in the squad divides opinion. Those players who always appear to give 100% effort are technically lacking, and barely Championship standard. For far too long players are wheeled out to give interviews full of platitudes and devoid of passion.

Fans are fed up with new signings failing to live up to expectation. Fed up with the same old faces in defence making the same old mistakes again and again. Fed up with an uncompetitive midfield. Fed up with the ever declining prospect of promotion to the PL, which would inevitably end up with yet another embarrassing relegation the following season.

Our position in this league flatters us. A midfield of Hernandez, McLean, Sara and Dowell was never going to lay a glove on Burnley. It was an insult to puff powder. Our defence is just woeful. It has been for years. Our record at home this season underlines just how bad they are. I doubt even Dyche could have extracted a tune out of them.

The opportunities to establish NCFC in the PL over the last few seasons have been squandered. We have found our level, and the fans are reluctantly having to adjust to reality.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, unique said:

There would appear to be a big disconnect between the players and the fans.

The only player who has anywhere near 100% support from the fans is Pukki, a star fading fast with the dearth of opportunities supplied by his teammates this past season and a half. Not one of our team yesterday would improve the Burnley side. Not one of our squad would be good enough to play in any PL team, including Southampton right at the bottom. Maybe Pukki at a push.

Every other player in the squad divides opinion. Those players who always appear to give 100% effort are technically lacking, and barely Championship standard. For far too long players are wheeled out to give interviews full of platitudes and devoid of passion.

Fans are fed up with new signings failing to live up to expectation. Fed up with the same old faces in defence making the same old mistakes again and again. Fed up with an uncompetitive midfield. Fed up with the ever declining prospect of promotion to the PL, which would inevitably end up with yet another embarrassing relegation the following season.

Our position in this league flatters us. A midfield of Hernandez, McLean, Sara and Dowell was never going to lay a glove on Burnley. It was an insult to puff powder. Our defence is just woeful. It has been for years. Our record at home this season underlines just how bad they are. I doubt even Dyche could have extracted a tune out of them.

The opportunities to establish NCFC in the PL over the last few seasons have been squandered. We have found our level, and the fans are reluctantly having to adjust to reality.

Post of the year, maybe even century, sums up everything that is wrong at the moment 

• Thanks 1

Dean Smith did a lot of damage and it’s going to take a while to clear that mentality out.

I’m not concerned at the moment, Wagner has the attitude I want. It will be a good test for him and the team to put this behind us.

• Like 1

There are 17 games to go so all but 5 of the teams in the league have to play burnley. My point is that one game does not define the season. Nor for that matter do 2 excellent away wins.

Elsewhere on this forum there is a thread entitled flat track bullies. Well nothing wrong with that and the whole of February is in front of us to find out if it is true. If so we will be in an excellent position come the end of game 34. If not then the many critics on here will be proved right. 

Maybe then we look to the future. 

I seldom talk about individual players but whoever said only Pukki is PL standard must have overlooked all the PL interest in Max Aaron's

And finally thank you Tim Krul for all you have done for the club but yesterday the straw finally broke the camels back.