chicken

****The Official Lapps Match Thread v Burnley (H/L) ****

Just now, Monty13 said:

Utterly outclassed by a much better side. They deserve to be where they are, we are a long way off their level.

Yes we were shown to be a mediocre mid table outfit today 

15 minutes ago, Michael Starr said:

Tzolis walking in quicksand? He looks sooo out of shape and unfit

Nothing anybody says will convince me that he isn't eating two gyros a day with plenty of mayo. Always looks like somebody in the Snakepit won the "be a footballer for the day" raffle.

Even his mum has stopped coming on here to defend him.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Yes we were shown to be a mediocre mid table outfit today 

It's going to hurt a lot of people to hear it but the simple fact is as I have said before.. Rght now we are a midtable team hoping to scrape into the playoffs.

1 minute ago, Michael Starr said:

Webber's the problem. Our recruitment is the problem. Players are out there for the taking on the cheap. Burnley are proving it. Brentford are proving it. Brighton have proved it.

One massive problem with that!!!!!   Our recruitment team can’t be trusted to find them!    Shocking, needs a complete overhaul.    Given what they’ve signed, how can we trust them?   

That was really poor. Can deal with losing to Burnley but the goals we conceded were disgusting. Early **** up from Krul was so predictable after last few weeks. Two really **** set piece goals and thats the game. Burnley are good but they're not ****ing Barcelona. Gave them far too much respect from kick off. Ref was diabolical but we were architects of our downfall today.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

That was really poor. Can deal with losing to Burnley but the goals we conceded were disgusting. Early **** up from Krul was so predictable after last few weeks. Two really **** set piece goals and thats the game. Burnley are good but they're not ****ing Barcelona. Gave them far too much respect from kick off. Ref was diabolical but we were architects of our downfall today.

Was with you until you mentioned the ref!   Nothing to do with him!   Need to get our own house in order!    All the bookings were fair and it wasn’t a pen.   Apart from the defensive shambles, If Dowell can’t finish that simple chance for 1-1, that’s on us!   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

We had a good recruitment and scouting team, then they all jumped ship, not had a decent transfer window since.

So it’s not recruitment so much as recruitment of recruitment?

Just now, ged in the onion bag said:

Was with you until you mentioned the ref!   Nothing to do with him!   Need to get our own house in order!    All the bookings were fair and it wasn’t a pen.   Apart from the defensive shambles, If Dowell can’t finish that simple chance for 1-1, that’s on us!   

It absolutely was a pen, and the inconsistency with bookings was absurd. He missed a corner that went 4 yards off the pitch ffs. But like I ALREADY said, he was **** but we were architects of our own downfall.

• Like 1

I remember being told on here, that we would see Burnley blow up and they would find themselves in deep trouble and that we were in great position. 

They got in a good young manager and backed him with cash. They bought proven players.  They build a strong squad and added muscle and grit.

We have Webber wasting cash on Tzolis and others. £8m on Sara.. it's time he left. He is a fraud and this squad goes backwards every season is he around.

Would like to see Delia hand over full control sooner rather than later. 

Even their own weak top 26 targets are not being met.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

Would like to see Wagner be brave next week and finally drop Hanley. Defence constantly disorganised and he's at the heart of it. Give Gibson and Omo a chance.

Thought Hanley was our best player to be honest. I’m not saying he organises the defence well, but dropping him given that seems a wild not brave decision to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nuff Said said:

So it’s not recruitment so much as recruitment of recruitment?

Recruitment of recruitment so they can do the recruitment.

Only, there's no money left, its been blown by Webber, so that boat has sailed. 

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Yep.

Blown it all. The Godrey, Lewis and Buendia money jizzed up the wall. With Pukki leaving on a freebie in the summer.

Meanwhile Burnley have completely transformed themselves with the Dwight Neil and Nathan Collins money. 

£3m for Josh Cullen, £1m for Vitinho and our players can't get anywhere near them.

Can't play down Kompany either. He's been in place since last summer and has given them a new style a new sense of purpose. 

Yes, they sold Collins, McNeil and Cornet, they also spent minimum £26m (not including 10 players who's fees are all undisclosed). That's to add to players they have who have experienced premier league for several seasons in succession like Rodriguez, Barnes etc. 

Comparatively we spent what? £8.5m last summer?

I'm not too beat up about today. We can't go through half a season like we have and expect Wagner to suddenly turn us into a win every game team. All bar the very best of managers could do that. And even Wagner can't be on the pitch and make Krul pass it better or make a better choice for the first goal.

We had arguably our most experienced side out there today bar injuries etc.

Folks writing off Sara need to calm down. Still his first season in English football. Vrancic was supposedly rubbish, as was Stiepermann that first season they played. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Utterly outclassed by a much better side. They deserve to be where they are, we are a long way off their level.

This is very very true.

Just now, Monty13 said:

Thought Hanley was our best player to be honest. I’m not saying he organises the defence well, but dropping him given that seems a wild not brave decision to me.

Hanley is definitely better than Gibson.

But that isn't a huge endorsement.

What I'd do for prime ZImmermann alongside prime Klose, that was simply a better duo.

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Thought Hanley was our best player to be honest. I’m not saying he organises the defence well, but dropping him given that seems a wild not brave decision 

Hanley really isn't the problem.

Some decent pressure second half but started off too tentatively and paid the penalty for a silly error. When you are at the top things drop nicely for you as they did for Burnley today.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yes, they sold Collins, McNeil and Cornet, they also spent minimum £26m (not including 10 players who's fees are all undisclosed). That's to add to players they have who have experienced premier league for several seasons in succession like Rodriguez, Barnes etc. 

Comparatively we spent what? £8.5m last summer?

The fact is that we lost Buendia and Godfrey over the space of about 12 months and then blew the proceeds.

When they cashed in on their valuable assets they successful managed to reinvest and rebuild their team into their new managers style.

Self-financing fails when your recruitment is sh*t. That's the crux of the matter, our recruitment has been sh*t. Now we've got nobody left to flog to finance a rebuild and even if we did we'd blow it on useless Greeks or we'd spent £8m on a Brazilian who just got played off the park by the £1m Brazilian that Burnley bought in the same window.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1

Now will the idiots who think we are still good enough to go up wake up and realise we really aren’t very good even in a league as poor as this one?

6 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Have to say I agree strongly with that. There's so often so much pathetic ref-blaming on here after a defeat. It's endemic, inaccurate and unhelpful.

• Like 1

Definitely some scouting issues going on, and this was a valuable bringing back down to earth after the impressive games before. At the same time, against a team full of confidence, the last thing you need is your goalie pinging a ball straight to their top scorer early on and after that, despite our moments, we couldn't quite get back on track. 

I am shocked at how we appeared to have no midfield at any point during the game. In particular, when we had the ball, McLean was dropping back into central defence, Sara roaming around, Dowell and Hernandez wide and there was vast open space in the middle they could exploit as soon as we lost the ball (which we did).

Don’t think too much can read into that game. Slow start ridiculous first goal then we matched them pretty well. Dowell should have scored. Then after a bitty start to the second half we concede two goals from set pieces and the game is done.

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

Have to say I agree strongly with that. There's so often so much pathetic ref-blaming on here after a defeat. It's endemic, inaccurate and unhelpful.

Did you even read the original comment that said the ref was **** but its out own fault we lost today? There's so much pathetic inability to read perfectly coherent posts and take them totally out of context on here after a defeat. It's endemic, inaccurate and unhelpful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kick it off said:

Did you even read the original comment that said the ref was **** but its out own fault we lost today? There's so much pathetic inability to read perfectly coherent posts and take them totally out of context on here after a defeat. It's endemic, inaccurate and unhelpful.

The ref was utterly dreadful. I genuinely can't understand how anyone could have seen that game and thought otherwise. 

But then I'm reminded that there are people who think the earth is flat or Brexit was a good idea.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ulfotto said:

Don’t think too much can read into that game. Slow start ridiculous first goal then we matched them pretty well. Dowell should have scored. Then after a bitty start to the second half we concede two goals from set pieces and the game is done.

Exactly. People need to take a breath and get a little perspective. We’ve just lost to the league’s runaway leaders. We have a new manager who’s trying to turn things around after a difficult period. Plus we are struggling at home for some reason. It’s hardly a massive surprise that we didn’t compete. Let’s see where we are after the next six games before deciding to sack the whole back five and all the recruitment team.

• Like 1

Will never forgive Webber for selling easily the best player we have had here in years, after getting promoted and wasting the money he got on absolute dross. Not one decent player out of it... and now an average championship squad with our main man out of contract in the summer. Talks alot but hasn't delivered in years. Just go! Would rather have Adams to be honest.

Back to reality.

In fairness we were playing a mid-lower half PL side today. Their passing was much crisper & sharper than ours, too often ours bobble along the ground & aren't precise enough in placement. The way they pounced on the ball for the 3rd goal was excellent.

And they have players who are quite happy to be dirty when they can get away with it. Ashley Barnes, for example, is simply a thug who can play football a bit. Hanley's probably our closest to him, but you can tell his heart isn't in it.

Let's not forget this is Wagner's 3rd league match. I think we should make the play-offs, but that's about it.