Canary Wundaboy

Aarons deadline day snub

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hope it wasn't Leeds so he doesn't throw a fit like Cantwell did.. 😉

Why would he throw a fit if it were him that turned down the offers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Why would he throw a fit if it were him that turned down the offers?

I was not exactly being serious hence the wink.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

8 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Good lad, obviously believe we're on our way up under Wagner. 

Waiting for a big club I suspect.

At some point Eddie Howe will need to think about post-Trippier life, he's 33 in September, and we know he likes an English player.

2 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

At some point Eddie Howe will need to think about post-Trippier life, he's 33 in September, and we know he likes an English player.

Much as I hate the new oil castle do feel they would be a pretty good fit if he were to leave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as I hate the new oil castle do feel they would be a pretty good fit if he were to leave.

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Whilst I broadly agree, Trippier has literally just (well last week) signed a new contract through until 2025.

I wonder if Max hasn't worked out that once he is out of contract or at least in his final year a pretty sizeable portion of whatever comes off the transfer fee is basically added to his salary when he moves.

Will be interesting to see if he signs a new contract - presumably the club has been trying to get him to before we move into the final year of his current deal ?!

I think its worth treating these reports with a sizable pinch of salt.

The Sun report makes it sound like there were two potential deals all lined up that he said no to which seems unlikely considering the lack of any detail. 

I'd imagine it was more of a case of a couple of clubs sounding out if he was keen to try and push something through and being told no.

• Like 2

I suspect the clubs concerned are in danger of relegation. He will also be cheaper in the summer and his agent could already be negotiating a better deal elsewhere in the summer. 

I was quite amused to see 14 clubs had him watched at Preston. That's 14 reports that said 

he looks quite short for someone who's 5ft 10......

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Id have thought they'd be aiming higher than  Max , personally.   He has decent attributes but nowhere near Trippiers level of delivery . They'll be looking for someone they can be confident in at Champions league level.....is Max good enough? I fear not....especially  defensively. 

37 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Id have thought they'd be aiming higher than  Max , personally.   He has decent attributes but nowhere near Trippiers level of delivery . They'll be looking for someone they can be confident in at Champions league level.....is Max good enough? I fear not....especially  defensively. 

See where you coming from, but when Trippier was the same age as Max Aarons he was playing in the Championship and had never played in the Premier League.

57 minutes ago, Barham Blitz said:

I wonder if Max hasn't worked out that once he is out of contract or at least in his final year a pretty sizeable portion of whatever comes off the transfer fee is basically added to his salary when he moves.

Maybe, or could just prefer to move in the summer and get a full pre-season with a new club? I bet some players aren't a fan of a January move and being thrown in at the deep end.

3 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

See where you coming from, but when Trippier was the same age as Max Aarons he was playing in the Championship and had never played in the Premier League.

Fair enough, doesnt really change my opinion of the two players though. I think they'll be looking for someone better than Trippier, and i dont beleive Max is. 

If we go up I think he'll stay for the last year of his contract as if he leaves for a free he'll have a lot more options to choose the right one for him. 

Think this would be the first ever time that a young key player would let his contract expire and I'd wish him all the best as he fully deserves it for his 100%  dedication to the club. 

3 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Hope it wasn't Leeds so he doesn't throw a fit like Cantwell did.. 😉

Just to clarify, there was absolutely not interest for Todd from Leeds

I hope Max is not just running down his contract to get higher wages himself.  I do not resent Max for doing that but it blows a holes in our self sustainable model if sales stop happening.

32 minutes ago, Newtopia said:

I hope Max is not just running down his contract to get higher wages himself.  I do not resent Max for doing that but it blows a holes in our self sustainable model if sales stop happening.

What has Max ever done to make you consider the idea that he might think like that?

26 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What has Max ever done to make you consider the idea that he might think like that?

Who knows? I personally doubt that that is his intention, but I have no real basis for that assumption.

We got him from the Luton youth set-up, which had nurtured him. His ambition caused him to leave them for presumably  more lucrative pastures in Norfolk.

No blame attached. It is standard practise among footballers, it's what they do. I doubt that Max is more angelic than any other just because never says anything and just gets on with the job professionally.

His agent certainly wouldn't be.

Edited by BroadstairsR

21 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Who knows? I personally doubt that that is his intention, but I have no real basis for that assumption.

We got him from the Luton youth set-up, which had nurtured him. His ambition caused him to leave them for presumably  more lucrative pastures in Norfolk.

No blame attached. It is standard practise among footballers, it's what they do. I doubt that Max is more angelic than any other just because never says anything and just gets on with the job professionally.

His agent certainly wouldn't be.

Seems a pretty vague basis to raise the prospect out of the blue like people should be seriously concerned.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

Newcastle's squad lacks depth which will become an issue next season with the inevitable European football. I can see Max going there. Howe is extremely good at getting a lot out of players who perhaps are not perhaps the best in their position. I'm sure Newcastle will be spending big on the summer but not necessarily on fullbacks.

Max Aarons linked with move away but doesn’t leave. Its so predictable like a sort of Norwich City bingo card entry.

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Nothing, although it is not a critercism of Max, anyone who honours their contract and works hard thorugh out is to be applauded, it just does not help the club financially as much as player we sell for a substantial amount.

I've got a mate who plays football with a family member of somebody within the club hierarchy. His understanding is that Aarons' missus is dead set on staying in Norfolk and raising kids there, and Max is quite content with Norfolk life and doesn't have any desire to push that particular button. Not to say he wouldn't ever move, but from what I've heard, I think it would have to be an amazing opportunity for him to do it. Moving to say Southampton/Leeds or somewhere wouldn't push the needle for him.

God knows if it's true but I have no reason at all to doubt it, any info that's come my way from this particular person before has stood up to scrutiny.

Edited by kick it off
  • Thanks 1

I would think it was more a case of a late derisory offer coming in and the club told them where to stick it. 

Having said that, there is an honesty and professionalism about Max Aaron's, and it's clear the last thing he wants to do is force a move and leave the club out of pocket. 

Loyalty goes both ways and the club and Max have been loyal to each other. Rare in football, especially these days. 

On 02/02/2023 at 14:45, Canary Wundaboy said:

https://www.pinkun.com/news/23294888.norwich-city-transfer-rumours-max-aarons-premier-league-target/

Good lad, obviously believe we're on our way up under Wagner. If this interest had arrived under Smith I wonder if he'd have been more tempted?

Or he knows he isn't that good to play in the prem. His form really has declined over the last few seasons. He knows he will always be guaranteed minutes here.

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

I've got a mate who plays football with a family member of somebody within the club hierarchy. His understanding is that Aarons' missus is dead set on staying in Norfolk and raising kids there, and Max is quite content with Norfolk life and doesn't have any desire to push that particular button. Not to say he wouldn't ever move, but from what I've heard, I think it would have to be an amazing opportunity for him to do it. Moving to say Southampton/Leeds or somewhere wouldn't push the needle for him.

God knows if it's true but I have no reason at all to doubt it, any info that's come my way from this particular person before has stood up to scrutiny.

i was going to post i thought that sounded like lack of ambition 

But after thinking about it  i understand it really better to be happy at the club you like and live in the area you like instead of chasing something that could make you unhappy 

he will earn enough here never to work again if he is good with his money 

He does not seem the type that likes the limelight and seems pretty private person 

Good on Max to buck the trend of modern football and stay if that is what he and his family wants 

instead of moving to the first PL club that flashes a extra 10k a week at you 

I really hope that is the case and it would reflect well on him if it is.  But that issue of loyalty goes both ways and as one of our more saleable assets the club do appear to have been touting him around a bit judging purely - albeit speculatively on my part - by media reports where they have been open about any interest in him.

In my profession I've been loyal in the face of interest from competitors and not had that repaid further down the line.  I just hope that Max doesn't end up in the same position given his undoubted professionalism during his time with us.  Hopefully he is just waiting to see if promotion would bring about a better contract offer from us in the summer before signing an extension (I assume that the club isn't intentionally letting his contract run down to the final year without offering him a new one ...)

That said, he probably has more negotiating cards to play as a professional footballer on a contract than I do !