Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Sean Dyche is back.

4 minutes ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I’d like to see them come down …. Keeps it healthy when there’s some genuine exchange of clubs between the top flights ….

Yup, would be one of the few teams left not to have been relegated from the prem, relegated.

Not to mention, not too long ago they were regularly top ten finishers.

Would just leave Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool wouldn't it? 

29 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yup, would be one of the few teams left not to have been relegated from the prem, relegated.

Not to mention, not too long ago they were regularly top ten finishers.

Would just leave Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool wouldn't it? 

Man Utd have been relegated back in the seventies.

Edited by TIL 1010

Dyche has been talking about wanting to prove he can play a different system when i've seen interviews with him post Burnley.  If he is the man, makes you wonder what approach he'll take. 

I reckon he'll keep them up, he's a great motivator and speaker about football. Given the quality of some of Everton's players, he might be the best candidate for that "new manager bounce" that they will need to get instant results. 

13 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Indeed and Spurs were in the second tier more recently while Liverpool were there in the 60s.

Just leaves Arsenal and Everton although I think Arsenal were relegated pre war making Everton the longest serving top flight club.

But of course football started in 1992...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

Indeed and Spurs were in the second tier more recently while Liverpool were there in the 60s.

Just leaves Arsenal and Everton although I think Arsenal were relegated pre war making Everton the longest serving top flight club.

But of course football started in 1992...

Even back in 1992 a lot of posters were still running around in nappies. ( Tongue poking out emoji )

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

Even back in 1992 a lot of posters were still running around in nappies. ( Tongue poking out emoji )

You'd hope they were potty trained by now though 🙃

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not from the "prem" they weren't, as chicken specified.

• Like 1

Chelsea are also in the group that have permanently been in the prem league since it was formed - which is the list provided.

If counting never relegated from the prem it also includes Brentford

Edited by ZLF
  • Like 1

I spent a few years living in Highbury so knew a lot of Arsenal fans, and they were very keen to point out that Arsenal is the longest serving club in the top flight, it was relegated pre-war as in 1913, all the others including Everton have been relegated more recently.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I spent a few years living in Highbury so knew a lot of Arsenal fans, and they were very keen to point out that Arsenal is the longest serving club in the top flight, it was relegated pre-war as in 1913, all the others including Everton have been relegated more recently.

Relegated, but somehow never actually "served" that relegation. A dodgy deal was struck that never saw them take up their place in the second division and after the war hey presto, they were back in the first division. The ESL has nothing on this ...

10 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

and if i recall correctly they didnt win re-promotion, but were controversially (?) allocated a space in a post WW1 enlarged Div 1.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

I reckon he'll keep them up, he's a great motivator and speaker about football. Given the quality of some of Everton's players, he might be the best candidate for that "new manager bounce" that they will need to get instant results. 

Hes a great speaker other than that he sounds like a dalek you mean?

2 minutes ago, ZLF said:

and if i recall correctly they didnt win re-promotion, but were controversially (?) allocated a space in a post WW1 enlarged Div 1.

LOL that's amusing and funnily enough not a point they mentioned 😄

• Like 1

Dyche sounds like he has a permanent sore throat.

He might keep Everton up. But their fans will not like his style of football one bit.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:
2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Hes a great speaker other than that he sounds like a dalek you mean?

He can't help his voice. He is a very knowledgeable speaker about football, footballing philosphies and motivating people.  This worth a look.....

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

He can't help his voice. He is a very knowledgeable speaker about football, footballing philosphies and motivating people.  This worth a look.....

Unless they sign a forward they can’t play 4 4 2 as they ain’t got enough constantly fir forwards lol

3 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

I’d like to see them come down …. Keeps it healthy when there’s some genuine exchange of clubs between the top flights ….

When you say “genuine”, do you mean not top 26 clubs that constantly yo-yo? Something about glasshouses springs to mind… 😳

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Brilliant 👏 stuff Lakey. I really enjoyed that. Simple stuff and also not so simple. But not overloading players with information.  I'm impressed.  ️ Very good video from Sean. Sure he will be good fit for  Everton if he goes.

Edited by Mengo

24 minutes ago, Mengo said:

Brilliant 👏 stuff Lakey. I really enjoyed that. Simple stuff and also not so simple. But not overloading players with information.  I'm impressed.  ️ Very good video from Sean. Sure he will be good gor Everton if he goes.

It's one of the reasons I wouldn't have minded him at Norwich. Much more to him than some seem to think.

• Like 1

The thing with Dyche is that while he may talk about wanting to play a different system there's no evidence of him ever doing so and it's only now a desperate club have come along to give him a go. He may have been unfairly pigeonholed at Burnley but the whole time he was there they continued playing the same way and also kept on recruiting players in their late 20s/early 30s, I'm sure staying in the PL was paramount and that's why he did what he did but it's also easy to see why clubs aren't so willing to jump on him. It's very easy to talk about playing good football and what not, but delivering it on the pitch is a different question. We should know better than anyone based off the last year.

• Like 1

That was actually a very interesting watch Lakey - the basic principles that he was applying with his version of 4-4-2 as explained there are the same as any of the more in-vogue formations and I thought he articulated his approach very well.

IMO Dyche would keep them up if he goes there - there is enough quality in that squad albeit they are a striker and (weirdly given the number they have signed in recent years) a creative midfielder short - but they have more than enough to stay up if properly organised.

Plus it'll be a home from home for him with Tarkowski, Michael Keane and Dwight McNeil already there from his Burnley days.

The issue he'll face is the same as Allardyce in that the fans will almost certainly turn on him next season unless he changes his style of play from the Burnley days.  Or rather, as long as the fans perception is that they are not following an old-school long ball 4-4-2 Burnley template as defined by the stereotypical view of Dyche.

That they have been linked with Bielsa as well would do him no favours either.

But maybe recent results will introduce a note of realism into their rabid expectation and make the home crowd a little more tolerant than has been the case.

• Like 2

Dyche's first move expected to be to approach Forest Green to try and tempt Big Dunc back in a player-coach role.  "Even at 51 we feel he still has something to offer and chest control and heading ability is the last thing you lose as a player.  He's still more mobile than Andy Carrol and fitter than DCL after all ..." 😉

On 27/01/2023 at 18:57, ZLF said:

If counting never relegated from the prem it also includes Brentford

Kings lynn too