I don't know what was going on between Todd and NCFC, but on his day he is far better than anything we have! He will be a big loss, lm sure something could have been sorted between them over the last 2 seasons!

Also the fans have a bit to say in it, when he warmed up in front of the Snake Pit there was no singing, 'Toddy Cantwell he's one of our own' to maybe make him feel wanted. Too many of our quality young players are allowed to leave.

TODDY CANTWELL HES ONE OF OUR OWN

• Like 6

He was wanted and loved. Then he went and blew it all away. I had sympathy and love for him and I do think he's a good player but end of the day he has now had three managers (four if you count Bournmouth..) who seem to be unable to get him to play. That is rather sad.

• Like 2

Connor has written an excellent piece about the demise of Todd. A good balanced summary. Worth a read on Pinkun

A very good talent that has been a passenger during a spell when we've desperately needed that talent. A shame but he needs to move on and revive his career.

• Like 4

The biggest problem is he isn't going to feel like a big miss because he's hardly been on the pitch. If he left us, it really should have felt like a big miss.

• Like 5

The whole situation has been horrendous, it’s probably a bit from both sides but why could situations not have been resolved?

just another failures all round im afraid

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Harry53 said:

Connor has written an excellent piece about the demise of Todd. A good balanced summary. Worth a read on Pinkun

Link please. I can’t find it

I always rated him highly but he seems to have felt that the club wouldn't give him the contract he felt he was worth.

We will shortly find who was correct.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

I always rated him highly but he seems to have felt that the club wouldn't give him the contract he felt he was worth.

We will shortly find who was correct.

Indeed.

When he was hot - and he was - his agent pushed for him to leave.

There was interest. Talk of Leeds willing to go to £15m.

We wanted more. Webber didn’t like the way his agent acted. 

Perhaps there was an element of making an example of his agent-him to strengthen the club’s hand in other negotiations (as they saw it). 

Many in football thought his agent was right. That that was his ‘hot’ moment. 

As things stand you have to say the agent was right (not a phrase you hear widely in football).

Parma  

• Like 2

Could be playing Premier League with Sheff Utd next season.

Shame we'll get next to nothing for him.

PS we can't really include Wagner as a manager who has rejected him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Link please. I can’t find it

I found it but it's locked behind a paywall and you need to be a paying pink un subscriber to access it. What a joke, it's an opinion piece not some top secret behind the scenes leak. What a joke the Pink Un has become

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Indeed.

Perhaps there was an element of making an example of his agent-him to strengthen the club’s hand in other negotiations (as they saw it). 

As things stand you have to say the agent was right (not a phrase you hear widely in football).

Parma  

I'm not sure you can say the agent is right when his reputation and ability to attract interest from Premier League clubs even on a free is practically non existent.

If the Agents behaviour was partly responsible then he's not done a good job of acting in the players interests.

• Like 2

Loved him 'til the end, hairct, designer clothes, Lambo etc.etc. but he'd become a major distractraction and not just  on this forum.

Possibly in the dressing room and in the manager's head

Wagner has acted quickly to dispel all this. He'd clearly stuied the story and may even have spoken to Farke.

Hope he finds the right cub   soon!

Perhaps just a.n.other half-bright youngster  who couldn't handle the money or the fame and got carriead away by his own sense of importance.

There have been many. Often married life with kids brings them back down to earth by having responsibilities.

Edited by BroadstairsR

14 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Indeed.

Parma  

Sounds about right. While a part of me does want to give Todd some benefit of the doubt and wait a few more years for the no doubt 'Todd cantwell the true story' to come out right now the story does seem to be a tale old as time when it comes to dodgy agents and young talented players.

Seems like Cantwell saw our first relegation coming and wanted out and his agent informed him Leeds wanted him and Cantwell wanted this move too as he thought that he was good enough to be in the top flight and not getting loss after loss with us. Understandable as when Cantwell was hot and at his best there is no doubt he was good enough for a solid midtable Prem side.

Problem that as much as his agent no doubt told Cantwell this move and transfer would be his big move Webber said no as he did not think we were being paid enough and that both Leeds and Cantwells agents were being a bit odd and standoffish.

This then caused a big divison between Cantwell, us/norwich and cantwells agent and I have no doubt in my mind that this failed transfer caused Cantwells agent to then do all he could to try and get Cantwell to hate us and think we were the ones causing problems in order to try and force a move so he could get his big payday and in the end it all went to cantwells head and he fell for it all.     

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

2 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

Loved him 'til the end, hairct, designer clothes, Lambo etc.etc. but he'd become a major distractraction and not just  on this forum.

Possibly in the dressing room and in the manager's head

Wagner has acted quickly to dispel all this.

Hope he finds the right cub   soon!

Perhaps just a.n.other half-bright youngster  who couldn't handle the money or the fame and got carriead away by his own sense of importance.

There have been many. Often married life with kids brings them back down to earth by having responsibilities.

It certainly did for me, so much so that I decided never to buy a Lambo - and I've stood by that decision all these years 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Always wanted him to do well, never thought he was going to become a real star though.

I find it difficult to align with the sentiments you hear like 'on his day he's the best player we have' at the moment. He's scored some nice goals and certainly has vision for a pass, but ultimately I've never seen him be the decisive player on the pitch.

His big opportunity was when Emi left, which for whatever reasons (I believe both external and internal) went sorely untaken. His reinvention to a fairly slow #8 has done nothing to help him out, either.

Interested to see how he does elsewhere, always nice to see a youth product succeed. But I think upper Champ is probably his ceiling.

• Like 1

The point is that Todd has been available for selection (aside from a brief injury in late December) but has been left out of the team. That's not down to him in any way.

When he did play he did very little wrong. His substitute appearance against Stoke was a masterclass: 100% pass accuracy, 2 shots both on target and two perfect through-balls which should have been two assists. He was the victim of Smith's bad tactics when he could have been playing every week.

Who knows the ins and outs of what's gone on behind the scenes but it's a massive failure from the club to get the most out of him. He is significantly better than many of you realise or are willing to accept. 

• Like 3

@Mark Y

I bought an Alfasud after I'd played two games for Essex cricket team.  That game paid poorly (before ine day cricket took off) I played some too though. I had work near Basildon and fancied a career in cricket  but gave up needing to pursue a more secure  career inmedicine.

I played in the same team as Basil Doliveira's best mate who fled SA due tio segregation and intimdation(young family) FRomcollege lecturer to Bog Lane Comprehensive as an English teacher.

Good wicketkeeper, super man and oneof the best friends in the life.

Edited by BroadstairsR

38 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Indeed.

Parma  

This is another of those "rumours" though isn't it? He also knuckled down after that and played in our promotion campaign.

The more recent demise has been rumoured to be to do with outside of football issues.

Will we ever know for certain? Possibly, in 10-15yrs when his career is over and he releases a book about his career. 

31 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The point is that Todd has been available for selection (aside from a brief injury in late December) but has been left out of the team. That's not down to him in any way.

When he did play he did very little wrong. His substitute appearance against Stoke was a masterclass: 100% pass accuracy, 2 shots both on target and two perfect through-balls which should have been two assists. He was the victim of Smith's bad tactics when he could have been playing every week.

Who knows the ins and outs of what's gone on behind the scenes but it's a massive failure from the club to get the most out of him. He is significantly better than many of you realise or are willing to accept. 

He has been left out of "teams" because every coach, starting with Farke, questioned his commitment. That's 100% down to Cantwell. 

Thinks he is bigger than the club. Rather than keep posting things, maybe knuckle down and prove people wrong. I don't think he has the attitude to make the most of his talent.

Edited by Kenny Foggo

He had half a season with Bournemouth to show the problem was with Norwich City. He made eight starts and was subbed off five times and subbed on three times. He scored no goals and picked up two yellow cards.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

He has been left out of "teams" because every coach, starting with Farke, questioned his commitment. That's 100% down to Cantwell. 

Thinks he is bigger than the club. Rather than keep posting things, maybe knuckle down and proof people wrong. I don't think he has the attitude to make the most of his talent.

Dont blame the young player.  Blame the man management

What would the rest of a squad think if one "talent" did not train the same as the rest but expected to be picked? You can not have someone who would rather be pictured in London enjoying himself than working hard on the training ground to help the team.

Hopefully, with his wages off the books someone else can realise their dream and acknowledge the privilege of playing for NCFC

48 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure you can say the agent is right when his reputation and ability to attract interest from Premier League clubs even on a free is practically non existent.

If the Agents behaviour was partly responsible then he's not done a good job of acting in the players interests.

Football is all about moments in time @hogesar

Parma

Just now, Haus said:

All of them? Farke? Parker? Smith? And now Wagner?

When does he accept responsibility for his own career.. too much posing and little graft.

I have nothing against the lad and wish him well but Rangers is a far harsher environment than NCFC.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Haus said:

When does he accept responsibility for his own career.. too much posing and little graft.

I have nothing against the lad and wish him well but Rangers is a far harsher environment than NCFC.

2 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

This is exactly how I feel. I felt that if things had soured between him and Farke then hey here comes Smith a new chance and a new time to try something new. Annnd nope, still did not want to play. 

• Like 1